EV Homages

I've been wondering about homages to various books, movies, etc. So far, I've come up with two.

Beeblebrox in the Zaphod system.

Dune in the Arrakis system.

Nearly everything, except for the mythology ones, like greek and roman references. A lot of them are HHGG references.

George's World in THX-1138

For those that don't know the reference

Endor.

There's also references inside the planets, such as Beeblebrox being a wild world of partying, and some others I don't remember right now.

Additionally, there are many Mac jokes in there. Seemingly everything is a reference or joke.

EV doesn't take itself too seriously, this is for sure. Part of the charm, I'd say.

Rupert in the Persephone system is home to Order of the Holy Mac.

I know the hidden scrolling text ("Roll Call!") that you have to watch to get the forklift is an homage to Mystery Science Theatre 3000. So is the "Satellite of Love" (which I thought was a tribute to Lou Reed for the longest time) as well as the default names ("Stud Beefpile," "Dash Riprock," etc.)

And Earth, in the Sol system; it's a perfect homage to the planet we live on! 🙂

Don't forget Akio. Giant turtle deliver them from evil?!?! What's that from, the Aztecs?

There was a planet with a bunch of students or something hanging their heads down for Apple. And there were some others about certain animals from books and movies, though I can't remember them...

Perhaps the luxury world Ursa Minor Beta is not just a coincidental name.

Oh yeah, EV also has a heck a lot of star/space references.

@zurdo, on Jul 22 2006, 08:14 PM, said in EV Homages:

Perhaps the luxury world Ursa Minor Beta is not just a coincidental name.

I think Ursa Minor Beta appears in the second book of the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

@freq245, on Jul 26 2006, 08:48 AM, said in EV Homages:

I think Ursa Minor Beta appears in the second book of the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Precisely. That's what I was refering to. No mention of temporal or topographical anomalies, though :(.

Sauron. Anyone who's read LotR should know.

Nothing more that I can remember offhand, though.

@freq245, on Jul 26 2006, 03:48 PM, said in EV Homages:

Actually I believe it is in the very first description of The Guide. It is/was the biggest thing to come out of the publishing houses of Ursa Minor Beta

@burrito-loco, on Aug 2 2006, 11:19 PM, said in EV Homages:

Actually I believe it is in the very first description of The Guide. It is/was the biggest thing to come out of the publishing houses of Ursa Minor Beta

Yeah. But they visit it in the second book. 🙂

Evildrome, specifically the Evildrome Boozerama.

This post has been edited by Buzzzzy : 05 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

Sirius Cybernetics...

Aerostar Industries and Allied Shipyards, while not a reference to fiction, they are still known outside EV for remarkably similar roles.

Although the Executive Transport does remind me of Hotblack Desatio's Stuntship. For starters, it's small and black. Second, any crew will invariably die...

And then we have the Rebellion Alien Missions, in which the player follows a crypic note to Docking Bay 94. A Rebel Officer is standing in the shadows, waiting for the player, and says "Thank Zarquon, I was beginning to think you wouldn't come..."