Having trouble putting ev on pc

Maybe you should try this before asking about error codes.

Disk is full.

And yes, initializing will wipe your drive.

Oh, and once you get it installed, go to the Memory control panel in your emulated Mac and turn virtual memory off. One paging file is slow (but Windows requires it anyway). Two = murder, even more so when you don't need the second one.

is there any way i can use the emulator without wiping my hard drive?
is there any way i could just wipe part of it?
is there any way i could wipe a flashdrive?

Jeez, people...pay attention tto this:

You're using a hard drive image NOT your REAL hard drive. It will "wipe" data that doesn't exist.

When you set up the hard drive thing for Basilisk, it sets aside a file that's the size you specified, and then fills it with data when you put data on it. Wiping it won't hurt ANYTHING. Just trust me. Initialise it. If you don't, then you can't use it.

It will NOT wipe ANY files from your actual Hard Drive. Okay?

Zampy.909, on May 3 2005, 07:34 AM, said:

when i try to stuffit ev i get the error first that the disk is write protected but that is probably because that test was on a school computer, so i gave it a different directory and i got the error
sorry but a disk related error (-32) has prevented this opperation from concluding.

what is the error and how do i fix it?
View Post

That disk error means that you're trying to save stuff on your Windows-formatted (real) hard drive. It won't work. You have to unstuff it to a hard drive image created by basilisk.

Besides that, Basilisk is disallowed from writing to your Windows hard drive except for specific things (copying certain files, etc.). No system processes (i.e. unstuffing) is allowed to write over any part of your real hard drive.

Basilisk was designed to be semi-idiot-proof (they figured anyone needing a macintosh emulated would already know how to set it up), and also to be safe to use without worrying about the stability of your REAL computer. So don't worry. Nothing bad will happen.

This post has been edited by Dash_Merc : 03 May 2005 - 02:57 PM

thanks Merc

what is my vertual memory?
should i,or shouldn't i turn that off.

apple core said to, but he also said that my hard drive will wipe.

what do i doooooo? :unsure:

thanks merc i'm an idiot

i just read your tutorial for the technicly chalenged, and i forgot to set my 😄 for read/write

that is what i want to do, right?

This post has been edited by Zampy.909 : 04 May 2005 - 06:47 PM

i tried initializing(SP?), but it wouldn't work. it came up with an error like, you don't have access to this drive because it is locked. (i have admin. access on my own computer)

what, need i do!!!

:blink: i'm soo confused :blink:

This post has been edited by Zampy.909 : 04 May 2005 - 06:54 PM

thanks merc, i'm an idiot again

i re-read your tutorial for the chalenged
and found that i didn't create the image after all.

i was under the impression that i needed to initalize first.

out

On a real Mac, initializing a disk means wiping it.

It seems that this isn't a real Mac.
Virtual memory (don't remember from Win95? thats wat they called it) is using a hard drive like RAM and very slow. Using virtual memory on your disk image will be even slower because you are using two paging files from the same drive. This will act like one very fraggy paging file. Old world Macs don't need virtual memory. I run mine without virtual memory unless I really need extra "RAM" for some reason, even though I have two hard drives.

So is everything fixed okay?

everything is working excpt for one thing, some of my .bin files won't open
ev_overide.bin won' unzip

i draged the file over stuffit and the the screen fades for a second, and nothing happened.

anyone know what to do?

(ev unziped so it isn't stuffit)

i assume that i can install clarisworks and such from my old disks,right?

Zampy.909, on May 5 2005, 08:50 AM, said:

everything is working excpt for one thing, some of my .bin files won't open
ev_overide.bin won' unzip

i draged the file over stuffit and the the screen fades for a second, and nothing happened.

anyone know what to do?

(ev unziped so it isn't stuffit)
i assume that i can install clarisworks and such from my old disks,right?
View Post

This depends on the version of Stuffit you have, but look for a menu that has BIN in it and see if decode is there. If it is, try that.

i found bin but no decode

i have v5.5 or 4.5
(it says both in different locations)

I only wish I knew how to help...on this, I know next to nothing. I always end up knowing what doesn't need to be known, and not knowing what is most needed...go figure.

thanks anyway Merc

Drag *.zip to Stuffit Expander (5.5) and drop it there.

I know that Stuffit 5.5 will handle zip/bin files because that's (believe it or not) the version I use.

i did, and the same thing happened

i draged the file over stuffit, and the screan blinked as if i just doubble cliked on the stuffit icon and then returns to the desktop screen.