EV Webstory OOC Discussion

SilverDragon,
I for one support your bid for moderator and if you find something disagreeable, such as credits I'm sure we can find ways around it. After all real money is nearly impossible to simulate especially with inflation and good changes but bartering tends to be more stable and more realistic. However generally independent pilots and mercenary's need a worthwile reward and do not need to carry 300 tons of metal around in their fleets. So if you can think of an adequate replacement to a monetary system I will back you there as well.

P.S. Everyone, why don't you post any rules you consider beneficial to the new webstory?
------------------
"Paranoia is Life"

(This message has been edited by Paranoid (edited 12-27-2002).)

Originally posted by Paranoid:
SilverDragon,
I for one support your bid for moderator and if you find something disagreeable, such as credits I'm sure we can find ways around it. After all real money is nearly impossible to simulate especially with inflation and good changes but bartering tends to be more stable and more realistic. However generally independent pilots and mercenary's need a worthwile reward and do not need to carry 300 tons of metal around in their fleets. So if you can think of an adequate replacement to a monetary system I will back you there as well.

Money is useful, yes, but there's one little thing. You can't eat money. And more to the point... you can't build your ships out of money. For a government, money isn't really the defining factor - you can have a trillion credits and zero resources, and you can't build a shuttlecraft.

But hey, we'll see. I can certainly live with it, it's just... I wonder if it's healthy to be getting too involved in all these numbers all the time.

------------------
-Esponer
Am I posting in Just Chat or B&B;? If so, I'm probably joking.

My solution to eating money was having my prisons be farms and my prisoners farmers solves all my problems free of charge.

------------------
"Paranoia is Life"

Money buys you recources by buying recources from somone else. Trade commerce.
Also if we transfer univerces I'll be alien. If not I'll be merchant.

------------------
Are we sad because it rains or does it rain because we are sad?

Originally posted by Xenocide:
**Money buys you recources by buying recources from somone else. Trade commerce.
Also if we transfer univerces I'll be alien. If not I'll be merchant.

( Money buys resources from other people - trade commerce. Also, if we transfer universes I (would like to / will) be alien. If not, I (would like to / will) be a merchant. )

You miss the point. Consumers buy things from manufacturers. What about governments? Governments build things - governments are the manufacturers. Unless you happen to believe that all spaceships come from giving money to God through church, or something like that.

Take WWII. During it, German money was absolutely worthless. It was reduced to all the worth of a piece of paper - it was nothing. They had money, yeah, but it just didn't mean anything because it had no value. The Germans didn't fuel their war machine through money. They didn't go to some company and say; "Hey, we're the Nazis, could you sell us a few tanks?" They built them, and for that they need resources. Money was irrelevant.

Now, I realise money is often used as the "simplified resource unit" in many places, but why not just have an actual "resource unit", and therefore different worlds can supply different amounts of resources, and mines can be built to collect more resources, etc. It's much more logical.

------------------
-Esponer

(This message has been edited by SilverDragon (edited 12-27-2002).)

How about this when buliding something:

Cost:
Resources Needed:

That way the diffrent planets have a certian Resource #, and if the resources are not enough, the thing will not be bulit, or die!

Resources:
Metal
Food
Water
Shelter
Energy/Eletricty
Planet Sheilding (For Sheild boosting outfits)

ill go a little indepth more when my space works! (comand+V is hard!)

------------------
-Unreal Centipede
------------------
(url="http://"http://www.voy.com/121329/")Join my anti-confederation fourm(/url)

As someone who has participated in several EV Board Webstories (and even run one of my own) I can tell you right now that the the "traditional" monetary based system sucks. In Battle For Sol III it kinda worked, but only to the advantage of the people that set the prices (they were also players). In An EV Webstory we tried having a formula based type thing to avoid that kind of problem, but it still sucked and managed to skew things to where a fast light cruiser type ship would be more expensive than a freaking dreadnaught. SilverDragon is absolutely right when he says you guys should switch to something else. Personally, I think you should just scrap the entire EV Board way of doing things and just use the system we have in EoD. That is come up with a reasonable production that every government gets every real time day... and adjust that based on common sense whenever new shipyards are built or new planets captured.

On another note, SilverDragon's point about real time communication is also very true. I've played in several EV Webstories, and almost all of them failed due to arguments and disputes between players that could have been avoided if there had been better communication. If you don't want to talk to each other, at least talk to the story mod so you don't have huge flame battles. Webstories are about having fun, not honing your debate skills, and I spent far too much time during the EV Webstories I played flaming my opponents instead of having fun. That's a big part of why I don't play EV Webstories anymore.

------------------
Out ride the sons of Terra, Far dirves the thundering jet,
Up leaps the race of Earthmen, Out, far, and onward yet - Robert A. Heinlein, The Green Hills of Earth
"Saddam Hussein foregoes weapons of mass destruction (and) values human life." George W. Bush

To silver dragon.
I know, I was just saying that is how it is used now. But I agree with your point to abolish money.
Asteriods would also be a source of income/ recources

And Mr.Vice Admiral Ipvicus
You make a point but we did last almost 15 pages and the only thing we didn't do correctly was we never had anything interesting going on. You may know what you are talking about but still it verys with the people and we are very much different people. And we already are concidering abolishing the differnt universe.

------------------
Are we sad because it rains or does it rain because we are sad?

As long as nothing is happening on the actual webstory, not that anything can happen but I am going to attempt to choose my goverment. Subject to approval by any future moderators and post a few potential rules also subject to approval.

I would like to lay claim to a united pirate enterprise. In other words I would control all systems that are pirate controlled in EV. I will take the role of an antogonist and my actions in the webstory will not simulate any desires conscious or sub-conscious. (This is partially to apologize to Unreal Centipede whom I forced to be evil in the previous webstory.)

Suggestion:
I believe that plotline is important and that all players must somehow use character development and contribute to the plot in a interesting way. Not that any rule could actually enforce this but it should at least be a suggestion.

------------------
"Paranoia is Life"

Suggestion:
I believe that plotline is important and that all players must somehow use character development and contribute to the plot in a interesting way. Not that any rule could actually enforce this but it should at least be a suggestion.

In Shadow's Dawning (a story on the EV:O Webboard) SilverDragon asked all of the leaders of major governments to have at least a small internal plot. That is to say, something that didn't really have much to do with the rest of the players. For me it was going to be the rise of a charasmatic, if a bit corrupt young politician; for SilverDragon a big Civil War. While something on the Civil War scale might be a bit much for you guys, a little love story or political intrigue might be just what you need to spice up your writing. Of course, internal plots aren't absolutely neccesary... I have been a bit too busy in Eve of Destruction to write one myself.

------------------
Up leaps the race of Earthmen, Out, far, and onward yet - Robert A. Heinlein, The Green Hills of Earth
"Saddam Hussein foregoes weapons of mass destruction (and) values human life." George W. Bush

Resources:
Metal: Mass Devided by 2 (rounded up to the nearest 1Ton)= Amount of metal
Food
Water
Shelter
Energy/Eletricty
Planet Sheilding (For Sheild boosting outfits) You start out with 3000 sheilds for your planet. You make a sheild boosting outfit of say 100. that leaves your planet sheild at 2900.

------------------
-Unreal Centipede
------------------
(url="http://"http://www.voy.com/121329/")Join my anti-confederation fourm(/url)

Planet Shielding?
Most boosting outfits simply streamline electrical systems better then mass production does.

------------------
"Paranoia is Life"

This makes it harder. Planet sheilding is where the planet has sheilds! wow! I know how to find about a work useing the word or whats around it!

------------------
-Unreal Centipede
------------------

Originally posted by Unreal Centipede:
**This makes it harder. Planet sheilding is where the planet has sheilds! wow! I know how to find about a work useing the word or whats around it!

This did very little to clarify, but I think I understand your point.

------------------
"Paranoia is Life"

How would building an outfit that gave extra shielding to a ship detract from a planetary shield grid? Also... why bother with loads of recources? It take so much time away from actually writing a story. Why not just say that a government has the recources and facilities to build X number of ships per Y ammount of time... and leave it at that?

------------------

ok fine... :Frown: :Sad:

------------------
-Unreal Centipede
------------------
Need a minor plugin made? Email me! (url="http://"mailto:Unrealcentipede@yahoo.com")mailto:Unrealcentipede@yahoo.com(/url)Unrealcentipede@yahoo.com

(I browsed all EVO & EVN webstorys)
I believe that EVN had a webstory that was impossible to follow due to long posts and deep plots. However while new players may find it hard to join those people already in it could keep up possibly. They used $ and time similar to the EV webstory. The Eve of Destruction was the easiest to follow (except for SilverDragon's posts) and the style would be easy to follow. Time appeared to be the only constraining factor on the building and deployment of vehicles.

After I went through all this I believe more strongly in time as the dominant resource, but a supplementary resource (i.e. money/metals) would be necessary. This also brings up a disagreement with the EV series (one of few) I don't like galactic money it doesn't work. Warring civilizations do not share currency they want to discourage trade not encourage it.

Rules:
Since I talk so much about time I believe we must have a set time plan. Income per post, per real time day, or other increment. What would be best? (Personal opinion, real time day)

That was far to much work for this post.

------------------
"Paranoia is Life"

More research time and I'm back with more bad advice.

The previous EV Webstory had a few major problems caused by bad rules or lack therof and many complaints about them.

1. No rule was made for jump time I propose that it should be the same as EV. 1 day for fighters/small ships. 2 days for light freighters/medium ships. 3 days for warships/large ships.

2. Encryption and invasion of privacy, this should be obvious if any encryption is put on a message only the person to whom it is addressed even knows it exists. No interception or even origin finding.

------------------
"Paranoia is Life"

How about this for encryption:
None: 0 passwords: 0 Cr
1: 1 passwords: 10 Cr
2: 2 passwords: 20 Cr
3: 3 passwords: 30 Cr
4: 4 passwords: 40 Cr
5: 5 passwords: 50 Cr
6: 6 passwords: 60 Cr
7: 7 passwords: 70 Cr
8: 8 passwords: 80 Cr
9: 9 passwords: 90 Cr
10: 10 passwords: 1000 Cr

the prices are so that you cant keep sending Level 10 messages.

------------------
-Unreal Centipede
------------------
Need a minor plugin made? Email me! (url="http://"mailto:Unrealcentipede@yahoo.com")mailto:Unrealcentipede@yahoo.com(/url)Unrealcentipede@yahoo.com

The Eve of Destruction was the easiest to follow (except for SilverDragon's posts) and the style would be easy to follow.

If you ever have the time and inclination to read some of my posts, I would appreciate it. I'm sorry if they're a little plot-orientated and long, but I do put a lot of work into them.

**1) No rule was made for jump time I propose that it should be the same as EV. 1 day for fighters/small ships. 2 days for light freighters/medium ships. 3 days for warships/large ships.

1. Encryption and invasion of privacy, this should be obvious if any encryption is put on a message only the person to whom it is addressed even knows it exists. No interception or even origin finding.**

2. This is how I'd do it. Say that 1 day in real life is 1 week in the story. Because of that, ships that take 3 days a jump can make 2 jumps, 2-dayers can make 3, and 1-dayers can make.... 7.

3. I agree.

------------------
-Esponer