How to install add-ons with Uplink: the Mac Version

Just as a note, there are some gateways (and other mods) meant for earlier versions of Uplink (before the mac port). Always make sure they have the correct version number. (Edit: This applies to the instructions I gave at the top post. See Adriac's post right below for earlier versions.)

Gateways made before v1.2 are not as easy to use, but still possible. They should include instructions, if not check the Introversion board.

------------------
I am both worried and saddened by nationwide news of increasing rates of anxiety and depression.
The creator of RedshirtX and InterNARC

I've had some trouble getting the custom LANs at MODLINK to work. I posted on the Bug List that JTech Systems LAN causes Uplink to quit on startup. The Microsoft LAN is very unstable in that Uplink is likely to quit while Exploring it. UplinkBR lan appears in the very top left corner of the world map, and when breaking in it seems to have only the single router. I know Mac users are a lot pickier than PC users, but I would hope an utterly broken LAN would not earn a 5 to 7 ranking out of 10. As a reminder, I try this on a registered Uplink under System 9.2.2. If it makes a difference, I have an older RADEON board.

I've followed mrxak's guide but have had no luck in using Gateways downloaded from AWOL and modlink.net.
Do I need to be registered(I am, just waiting for the code) for them to even show up? I know that certain Gateways cannot be purchased until you're registered, but shouldn't I at least be able to see them?
Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by mrxak:
For Gateways:
These are more tricky. The first thing you'll need to make sure you have is a folder inside of the Data folder named "data" and another one named "graphics" (if the new gateway includes custom graphics). These folders are not included with the original installation of Uplink, so you'll probably have to make them yourself. Inside of "data" you'll need another folder named "gateways". Inside of "graphics" you'll need "gateway". Most gateways I've downloaded already have their files in this sort of hierarchy. If so, just make sure the files they have go in the equivalent places. Start up Uplink. Head on over to Uplink Internal Services and you should be able to buy the new gateway. Enjoy!

There's just one more thing you have to do. Open up the text file that defines the gateway and delete the top line of text and the single line return BEFORE the name of the gateway (i.e., the name of the gateway should be the first item of text in the file). The information should then display properly in the game. I'm somewhat bemused that some of the posters here who have written gateways (including one who has written a GUIDE to making them) have failed to mention this, let alone failing to delete the aforementioned line in their own product cough-cough

Trust is a weakness, but pity is a sin.

------------------

(Log deleted)

(This message has been edited by Slipperman (edited 07-02-2003).)

Just out of curiosity, does anybody see an announcement icon next to this topic in the listing?

mrxak, on Jan 3 2005, 01:08 PM, said:

Just out of curiosity, does anybody see an announcement icon next to this topic in the listing?
View Post

Not including the Wiretap Pro one, no.

I don't understand why it doesn't show up. It should be there.

So do I just put the folder in data

B.T.W I'm tring to install a gateway

is it possible to add the FBI mod for macintosh?

No, "dev" mods cannot be installed on the Mac. Most of them don't support Linux either.

Dam it, these dev mods should definitely be integrated into the new upgrade!!

@jazzjohannes, on Feb 19 2008, 12:41 AM, said in How to install add-ons with Uplink: the Mac Version:

Dam it, these dev mods should definitely be integrated into the new upgrade!!

Unfortunately, the problem is legal, rather than technical. Dev CD mods are only allowed to run on Windows and Linux.

xander

@darwinian, on Feb 18 2008, 11:27 PM, said in How to install add-ons with Uplink: the Mac Version:

Unfortunately, the problem is legal, rather than technical. Dev CD mods are only allowed to run on Windows and Linux.

xander

So why then has the Ambrosia Uplink the Theme preferences?

A theme is different from a mod. A theme just involves modifying the graphics and is doable, along with new gateways.
A mod involves changing the game's actual code to add things.

@rickton, on Oct 31 2008, 04:37 PM, said in How to install add-ons with Uplink: the Mac Version:

A theme is different from a mod. A theme just involves modifying the graphics and is doable, along with new gateways.
A mod involves changing the game's actual code to add things.

1. Hm.... well that doesn't follow the usual game conventions... (i. e. Quake, Medal of Honor, Blitzkrieg...)

2. Plus, say that was true, where does this come from then?:

This updated version, free to registered users of Uplink, (...)

Uplink 1.6.1 features the following improvements and changes:

-- Restored compatibility with Mods

-- Fixed an issue where with large world map.

-- Various bug fixes and enhancements

This post has been edited by JazzJohannes : 31 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

There is a difference between a "mod" and a "DevCD mod." You have, thus far, failed to note the distinctions. Things like themes, extra gateways, &c. are simple mods that replace the data files in Uplink. With the right tools and know-how, anyone can make one and install it over any version of Uplink (Mac, Windows, or Linux). However, DevCD mods (or dev mods) are those mods that are created by modifying the source code of Uplink. Introversion Software, the company that wrote and developed Uplink, sells the source code for (I think) Ł30. When you buy the source code (the DevCD), you agree that you will only distribute DevCD mods for Windows or Linux. Thus, it is illegal to distribute Mac versions of DevCD mods. Thanks to the recent updates, it is possible that this might change in the near future, but I would not hold your breath.

xander

@darwinian, on Oct 31 2008, 10:09 PM, said in How to install add-ons with Uplink: the Mac Version:

There is a difference between a "mod" and a "DevCD mod." You have, thus far, failed to note the distinctions. Things like themes, extra gateways, &c. are simple mods that replace the data files in Uplink. With the right tools and know-how, anyone can make one and install it over any version of Uplink (Mac, Windows, or Linux). However, DevCD mods (or dev mods) are those mods that are created by modifying the source code of Uplink. Introversion Software, the company that wrote and developed Uplink, sells the source code for (I think) Ł30. When you buy the source code (the DevCD), you agree that you will only distribute DevCD mods for Windows or Linux. Thus, it is illegal to distribute Mac versions of DevCD mods. Thanks to the recent updates, it is possible that this might change in the near future, but I would not hold your breath.

xander

Thanks xander for that explanation, you are quite right there.
Interesting to know that. Now couldn't it maybe possible to release a freeware Uplink for Mac, based on the source code, but with a different name.

See Onlink for example is really sophisticated, and progressing a lot, especially for the Mac:
http://www.ferrousmoon.com/forums/viewtopi...;p=10784#p10784

This post has been edited by JazzJohannes : 01 November 2008 - 04:42 AM

@jazzjohannes, on Nov 1 2008, 09:42 AM, said in How to install add-ons with Uplink: the Mac Version:

See Onlink for example is really sophisticated, and progressing a lot, especially for the Mac:
http://www.ferrousmoon.com/forums/viewtopi...;p=10784#p10784

I am aware of Onlink. As it is a DevCD mod, my understanding is that Miah can only release Onlink to people who legitimately own Uplink for Windows or Linux. If Ambrosia and IV negotiate some kind of agreement with each other regarding dev mods, and if the Onlink team can get some help with the licensing engine from Ambrosia, then it is possible that it will be released for the Mac. I know that is what Miah has been trying to accomplish for a while. However, as far as I know, no such agreement currently exists, and Onlink for the Mac is not possible under the current agreements.

xander

The next version Onlink will be released on Mac. The legal issues have been sorted through specifically for Onlink, not for any other mods. Onlink is an exception to the rule.
As part of the agreement, I'm pretty sure that it won't be playable at all unless you've registered Uplink, though.