Monster Stats

Sounds like a song title, eh?

Hi. I'm getting down and dirty with fighting NPCs (finally). I'm having problems knowing the maximum stats of the NPCs in the NPC window; that is, what is the maximum number to place in the stats to make the most vicious monster? Once I get the max, I can downgrade from there according to levels. I do know the stamina, protection, and min/max damage, but don't have much of a clue what the max stats are with anything else with Coldstone. Thanks!

(edit) I do know what the stats mean and what they do. I just don't know the maximum number for each stat. Thanks again.

Max Stats: I've seen a reference somewhere on the boards about this. I think it was from one of the CS beta testers. I do know that max values which can be entered are way off the scale for most situations.

Stamina: I have one NPC who has 20,000 stamina. It takes a long time to kill him.

Strength: PoG's Sea Giants can do 250 to 300 damage in one blow (perhaps even more.) So much depends on the stamina and armor of the playing character to determine if he will survive.

Dexterity: Anything over 100 means that the NPC will probably score on every hit.

Perception: Only of value to the NPC if he has a ranged weapon equiped. Again anything over 100 is probably wasted.

Morale: 0 (zero) means the monster will never run away from the fight. 70 means that the NPC will turn and run when he "sees" 70 damage points scored by the player on either himself or others. 500 means the NPC is going to stick around for a long fight unless the player can deliver damage in the hundreds.

Deb, I think your best bet is to use the "Random roll" feature and then adjust upward or downward from there. Type in the experience level at which you expect the player will confront this monster and then click the "Roll random values" button. Stage some fights with this guy and see just how hard he is to defeat. Adjust from there.

Many thanks, RD! You're a gem.

I believe the stat max/mins are the integer range (I think it's -2147483648-2147483647). So, as RD said, waaaaaay too big for most situations. 😉

I think when this was discussed before the max turned out to be 32,767 because Coldstone doesn't do long integers. I remember this because I wanted my guys doing millions of points damage to each other but it wouldn't work.

And remember that stats like Dexterity and Perception are compared to the opponents' stats in combat. A Dexterity of 100 will only hit half the time if the target's Dex is also 100.

This is a good time to mention that straytoaster's FAQ is still up.

That's a normal integer. Long integers go a lot higher. 😄

EDIT: I suppose it could be short int: -32768 - 32767.

This post has been edited by CI-Ia0s : 09 May 2005 - 09:22 PM

myshkyn, on May 9 2005, 09:15 PM, said:

I think when this was discussed before the max turned out to be 32,767 because Coldstone doesn't do long integers.

And remember that stats like Dexterity and Perception are compared to the opponents' stats in combat. A Dexterity of 100 will only hit half the time if the target's Dex is also 100.
View Post

Thanks myshkyn. That is the right number I'm pretty sure. And thanks also for the dexterity clarification. You're right again.

And thanks for reminding us of Stray's very useful site.