Game not starting

trouble with the main event?

Hey everyone.
I'm making a game about Romeo & Juliet as an english asignment, but I am running into a rather large problem. When trying to star a new game, I click on the link in my main menu screen. The computer does nothing, then the game quits with no warning or error signs. All events and locations are made by me. The main event doesn't link to a map, but shouldn't all events that occure before that happen? As I said, nothing happens.

Any help would be very good. (Ammendum to that: Any help would be very, very, very, very good and veryย•100000000 appriciated.)

Ah. The main event. To quote you;

"The main event doesn't link to a map, but shouldn't all events that occure before that happen?"

What exactly are the "events that occur before it"? Might help a little bit to know... just in case...

Try to not fool around with the main.cet too much.

From the startup screen, your Player has to go SOMEPLACE, be it a map location or a main location. I wouldn't even begin to place any other events type of anything in the main.cet. If you really, really HAVE to have some preliminary events, make a normal event, then connect THAT event to an EVENT LOCATION. Although I, personally, wouldn't do it, but wait until the Player is, indeed, someplace else. Anyway, from the EVENT LOCATION, the Player would teleport into your first map.

I have my Player go into a main location to see the beginning exposition. Then from there he teleports to the first map. I have several start-up things in the first map location, so it loads when the Player teleports into the first map location from the exposition main location.

The events that occure before the end of the Main event are: calling an even that edits stats and gives and equips a sword. Then the main event gives the proloug of the play and then the event is done.

I tried it with having a telleportation link back to my main menu, then my splash screen, but it still doesn't work.

Confusled

My experience is that doing what you did is pretty unstable.

Make your prologue into a graphic and make a main location. Then in the main.cet, teleport right away to the main location.

Place your stats in the map location of your first map.

By the way, if you've created a global and then deleted it without deleting it in an event that you placed it in will crash your game.

Hello,
You will need a teleport, and map position event link to be placed in your main.cet event. Do not place a teleport event link in the main menu; this will cause your game to crash.

Debra,
I don't know what you did to make your main event to be unstable, however I have never had any problems with modifying stats and items in the main.cet event.

GrahamVH, on Feb 19 2005, 09:36 AM, said:

I have never had any problems with modifying stats and items in the main.cet event.
View Post

I'm happy for you.

Okay. I created a blank map, created the location for it, took a character animation from another game, put a telleport and a map position action in the Main.cet event to the blank map, popped in a global. Same thing ๐Ÿ˜ž . Now I'm going to try importing the start new game event location and the main.cet event from the ColdStone disk and see if that works.

Edit: Nope, it doesn't work. ๐Ÿ˜ž

This post has been edited by Sancatie : 19 February 2005 - 10:12 AM

I wish I could tell better what you're doing. What's the global for? The map position must go before the teleport in an event.

Try just changing everything in the medival game to what you want in your game a little bit at a time and don't delete any events or anything until you have your game pretty stable, and then only delete or rename files if you made a backup of your game folder first. It may seem like the hard way to do things, but it usually works out fine with less then a few hours of work to get your start up screen, your main event, and your map with your player animation walking on it at your screen resolution. (Provided you have all the graphics and the map file made already.)

Better then the three days I wasted trying to make a game from scratch and then giving up.

This post has been edited by Yoggy : 01 March 2005 - 03:33 PM