Level Up

Hail.

I will get right to the point; is there a way to create a "level up summary" which displays what spells, skills, extra HPs, etc. the players has gained since before they leveled up? I figured I could put everything in globals before leveling up, and then substract from the final score. But how? And, is there a way to make a "relevel" feature, so that the player can level up again and choose other spells?

Thanks.

Hello,
I would acomplish this task with globals. gb_oldheath and gb_oldmana which are set to the player's health and mana after the level up sequence. During level up you just subract the new mana and life values from the global values. As for listing the spells and skills you gained in your level up I need to know how what you use to cast and learn the spells (you can't if you use the built in spell system).

For the relevel feature, you could use the built in spell selection system in Coldstone. However by using that system will not allow you to display spells that the player has learned for each level. The best option to you is to make your own spell system with main locations and stamps.

If you would like to know how you could make your own spell system please let me know any special characteristics of the spell/skill system (multiple levels of the same spell, unique spells, etc.)

I suggest you make a class. You don't have to show the class to the Player; it can just happen. A class might happen anyway; I don't know since I have 5 classes.

Anyway, once you've made a class, in the Player folder, skill tables, you can click on the event links tab of the class and define your variables.

I suggest that you have in your first map location, under the event tab, to place your set of globals:

gb_spell01
gb_spell02

and on and on

In your first map location, define your globalnames:

gb_spell01 = First Spell
gb_spell02 = Second Spell

Then in a separate event, linked to your class levels, you can have an event with a dialogue that will show whatever spells you want.

Just a thought. I did not work this out.

i'd go with the skill table, that's what it's for...put whatever information in the events tied to the skill table, no globals needed if spell earning isn't dynamic or not based on plot.

True about spells, but stamina would need to be seen, etc. I'd place it all in a dialogue. Then when the Player enters another level, the dialogue window should pop up with the info.

I think I get it. You mean I make the game calculate the difference between the current HP and the HP the player had at the last level up? That'll work. Oh, and I haven't made any spell system yet. Skills are used for climbing, sneaking, tracking etc.

Thanks for the help, I think I'll skip the new spells part though. Too much work.