Coldstone issues

Originally posted by andrew:
**The issues people have encountered here using Coldstone are ones we're working with Beenox on to get them taken care of. Please continue to post any problems or limitations you encounter, so we make sure we get them taken care of.

(feel free to use this thread to post said issues to)

I Have had problems when i create a game by using the build game option. Then i go to open it and it gives an error message tat says that this game was develpoed in a unregested version of coldstone(My version of coldstone is regestered). It also doesn't add the sounds or music in the game.

------------------
Thanks,
GrahamVH
graham@vhpublications.com
Coldstone Developer

Okay, I just checked and there really is no way to alter the text for character class and race using an attribute wizard action. This is annoying, as in my game the character "class" and "race" will not be set by the extremely limited (why are so few characters allowed in the descriptions?) built-in selection screens, but I still would like to be able to show these things on the statistics screen.

------------------
The autotrophic organisms are decidedly more verdent when located on an adjacent surface.

I have had problems with Coldstone suddenly quitting while I am working on a new element. It's usually a spell, but it happens for other things while I am trying to set a conditional for an action. (cast, equip, etc)

There's my 2 cents 🙂

------------------
Surely you can't be serious!
But I am serious, and don't call me Shirley!

Originally posted by Bandit_Keith:
**This may be off topic, but to BackLite's earlier problem w/ the movement squares, did you make the maps the right size? remember, if you are using the included graphics, the ground tiles dimensions must be 96x96.

Oh, I had no clue that was the case with it. Thanks!

------------------
Whose cruel idea was it to put an 'S' in lisp?-Wanted: Graphics Designer and Music Composer

Another two bugs or, rather, defficiencies of the OS X editor:

- When editing, for example, a changle global action, and I want to see what it is the action does (because either I forgot to name it or I didn't name it well), I find that I must click on the gb list to make the scroll bar appear - but when I do that, an entirely different global variable gets selected! This, while not really crippling, is very annoying.

- When placing a stamp in the map editor, the helpful dotted line is not drawn around the space that the stamp will take up. This makes map editing a bit more tedious than necesssary.

Edit: About interface customizeability - at the very least add more map button fields! My RPG very nearly has too many screens for each to have its own button on the map interface.

------------------
The autotrophic organisms are decidedly more verdent when located on an adjacent surface.

(This message has been edited by LoneIgadzra (edited 02-27-2003).)

Edit: I gues this isn't so urgent, now that I am aware that after a call event action has run, all the action after it are executed as well. (Or at least it seems that way; correct me if I am wrong.) Still, it's a good idea.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Working with a complex event system in Coldstone can be real brain torchure if you can't find a way to set it up to be a simple "branching tree system". I'm something of a TI-83 programming veteran, and I can't help thinking that a complex event system would be easier and more flexible if I could just write like a TI basic program, so I have an idea:

Add a "marker" action and an action that will jump to markers, and you've got an event editor that's a hundred times more useable! This is the very least required to majorly enhance the event editor, but I do have a more extravagant (and probably much less workable) request: make it possible to create strings of linked actions that will execute one after the other. (In this event-within-an-event, complete support for switching between markers is a must). However, this is merely meant to ease the task of creating a complex event and not really necessary as long as there's "marker" support.

I say this because I have repeatedly found it frustrating that, once I've called another event, I can't return to the event that called the event in the first place at a specific point; I have to either add way more complicated conditionals than should be necessary or rework my thinking so the called event doesn't have to return to the original event.

In addition to these event editor enhancements, some way to organize global variables would be sooooooo incredibly nice. I've hardly begun my game, and already there are a trillion global variables that I've added as I've needed them. Because of this, they don't end up in the most logical order and groupings, and it takes forever to find the one I'm looking for whenever I need to use one.

------------------

(This message has been edited by LoneIgadzra (edited 03-03-2003).)

(This message has been edited by LoneIgadzra (edited 03-05-2003).)