GTW Game 32

The Tron Games

Foreword, author's note:

If any of you out there haven't seen the movie Tron, too bad for you. It's an awesomely-geeky movie made in the 80s about a guy that gets pulled into a computer via a "digitizer", and how he has to fight programs and kill the evil "Master Control Program" (or MCP) to get out. Anyways, this game is going to be based on that movie. Here's a link to a short YouTube video of one of the more famous scenes of Tron: the lightcycle race.
You are all programs fighting against the evil programs. You have to delete the viruses (that would be the bad guys) before they delete you. Because the viruses have the MCP on their side, they have the ability to delete one program per round. There are several special programs among you: Tron, who is the "assassin" equivalent in previous GTWs; a virus scanner, who is the "IA"; and a new role for the viruses and the programs, the corrupter. Tron can terminate a program every third "cycle". The virus scanner can scan one program per cycle (via PM to me). The corrupter can change the energy (aka votes) away from a program and towards another program of ONE vote every second cycle. There is one corrupter per team.
To delete a program, a majority of the programs must focus their energy (aka vote) upon deleting another program. Once this is done, the program is erased (aka, killed).

Now for some technicals:
First, I'm not going to limit what you can and cannot say. Obviously, anybody can claim to be the virus scanner and PM anything to anybody. Part of these games is that you deceive others. Take everything you hear, unless I say it, with a grain of salt.
Second, these rounds will be 48 hours (2 days) long. Since I don't have computer access every day at 6:00 PM PT (9:00 PM ET), votes must have a time stamp of before 6:00, or else it will not be counted. If you edit your post after 6:00 and do not accurately state what that edit is, your vote will not be counted, as you could have tampered with it. All edits and posts should have a stamp of before 6:00 PM on the round-ending day, or else the vote will not be counted.
Third, all roles are random (by way of rolling dice).
Fourth, all dialogues will be in second person ("you"), bolded, and italicized. They are directed to the programs, but should be read by all for the best understanding of the game.
Fifth, if you aren't around and don't vote for two days, you will incite wrath from above. Just play the game.
Sixth, have a good game!

---------------------------------------------------------------

**You awaken to find yourself in a very dark room, lit only by dim neon lights on the walls. Your headache tells you that you were knocked unconscious. You look around the room and find that there are several other programs, all of them rubbing their heads the same way that you find yourself rubbing yours. You are about to go over and communicate with the other programs when a loud voice booms from somewhere hidden:

Programs! You have been brought to this quarantined area because there were viruses found around you. Some of you are viruses, some of you are not. Your task is to find those viruses and delete them, before they delete you. You will receive no help from the outside; good luck.

You are shocked to hear that you have been quarantined - and that there are viruses around you! The voice booms again:

This is the list of programs in this quarantine:
EugeneChin
GutlessWonder
jrsh92
kickme
Lemonyscapegoat
mrxak
orcaloverbri9
prophile
RJC Ultra
SoItBegins
Templar98921

You resolve to find these viruses and delete them.**

This post has been edited by Rebelious : 29 September 2008 - 08:49 AM

I like this theme, I think. Hopefully it turns out better than the movie sequel to Wargames did. (which was still entertaining, at the least)

This might've worked for the Darwinia or Uplink forums, but not really Defcon.

I also feel this game violates GTW Commandments 2, 7, and 10.

As such, I'm not really happy I decided to play this game.

I vote orcaloverbri9 because he's probably either evil or a corrupter, and both should be eliminated.

Roles given.

View Postmrxak, on May 3 2008, 11:40 AM, said:

1. Don't take away your player's votes. They feel powerless and lose interest in the game if they don't have a say.

I'm not taking away the player's votes. They are being corrupted, by a good or evil corrupter. The corrupter can only corrupt one vote, not all of them.

1. Don't create roles with more than one ability. Remember that a lot of people don't even have one (if you're following commandment #6 as you should).

I don't classify "virus" as an ability. You might as well say that "program" is an ability too. It's just the two separate sides, no more, no less.

1. Remember that overpowered abilities spread amongst the sides is not balance, it simply breaks the scale in half.

The corrupter cannot change more than one vote per turn. The fact that there are corrupters out there makes the job of IA more important, and also more likely to reveal a role, vs no corrupters. This is an experiment, and while I can see that you don't particularly like the idea of corrupters, let's see how this round works out, ok?

This post has been edited by Rebelious : 27 September 2008 - 10:51 PM

Jesus H. Christ, could this have been designed to be more confusing?

Still reading this over, but I'm going to be using World-Nuking GTW nomenclature, just because it's easier to understand.

(EDIT)

@adam_0, on Sep 27 2008, 11:31 PM, said in GTW Game 32:

I'm not taking away the player's votes. They are being corrupted, by a good or evil corrupter. The corrupter can only corrupt one vote, not all of them.

It still counts as taking away the targeted players vote. In one previous game with a vote-changing power, it kept getting used on one player again and again.

Wasn't it decided not to use vote-changing abilities again?

I don't classify "virus" as an ability. You might as well say that "program" is an ability too. It's just the two separate sides, no more, no less.

Bad Guy's "Night-Kill" and "Vote-Changer" are two abilities.

The corrupter cannot change more than one vote per turn. The fact that there are corrupters out there makes the job of IA more important, and also more likely to reveal a role, vs no corrupters. This is an experiment, and while I can see that you don't particularly like the idea of corrupters, let's see how this round works out, ok?

But vote changer's have been tried before, and by one of mrxak's games no less. I think you should put a little more weight to what he suggests in this regard.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 27 September 2008 - 11:10 PM

@eugene-chin, on Sep 27 2008, 09:00 PM, said in GTW Game 32:

It still counts as taking away the targeted players vote. In one previous game with a vote-changing power, it kept getting used on one player again and again.

The commandment says: "Don't take away your player's votes." This is directed at the host, not at the host via player ability. If that's not what it is supposed to mean, then it's too confusing.
I think there's better strategies to using it on the same person again and again. For example, since the bad guys don't want the good corrupter to be alive, they might try to figure out who the corrupter is and take him out, or bend the votes (that the corrupter will predictably bend) to their advantage. Since I said that there's no restrictions on PMing or declarations, it would be interesting to see who does what; it might be helpful if the IA and the good corrupter band together.

Wasn't it decided not to use vote-changing abilities again?

I don't recall that, but I haven't been in the games for very long. I wanted to host because I wanted to try an experiment, not because I wanted to create a by-the-book standardized GTW.

Bad Guy's "Night-Kill" and "Vote-Changer" are two abilities.

Like I said earlier, I don't see it as such. Also, because of the IA's intensified role, the good guys have a greater advantage there.

But vote changer's have been tried before, and by one of mrxak's games no less. I think you should put a little more weight to what he suggests in this regard.

Like I said , this is an experiment. I think, based upon what I have seen of GTW games, that I did a fair job in balancing the teams. What you do will decide which side wins. Whining about things is likely to incite wrath from above.

This post has been edited by Rebelious : 27 September 2008 - 11:47 PM

Ok, fine, whatever, but having an evil corrupter makes the balance a bit shaky. Remember what happened when I made Eugene Chin Evil and a Hacker? Or mrxak an evil consigliere? I've learned my lesson on making the evil players anything but, y'know, evil. That said, I'm still interested in playing the game.

This post has been edited by SoItBegins : 28 September 2008 - 04:25 PM

@mrxak, on Sep 27 2008, 10:19 PM, said in GTW Game 32:

As such, I'm not really happy I decided to play this game.

I could always fix that for you, mrxak

Hey, we actually have two votes now. Cool.

This post has been edited by Rebelious : 28 September 2008 - 02:22 PM

what

This post has been edited by jrsh92 : 28 September 2008 - 10:58 AM

What? 😛

This post has been edited by Rebelious : 28 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

I'm glad I didn't sign up for this one... Dear lord, these roles are confusing even me , and I'm not playing.

There are two teams, one evil and one good, yes or no?

There are at least two people out there who can change one player's vote every two rounds, and there's one for each side, yes or no? (The corrupter in general is a red flag, in my opinion. This role has been tried in the past, and frustrated everybody.)

Tron isn't a part of either team, but could kill anyone, yes or no?

These aren't confusing. I'm not sure why everyone is whining so much.

A: One person per team is a Corrupter. They can, once every 2 turns, change the vote of a person on the other turn.

B: There is a Tron. The Tron is the Assassin. Tron can assassinate someone once every 3 turns.

😄 There is a Virus Scanner. The Virus Scanner is the IA. The Virus Scanner can scan a program every turn.

😧 The Viri can kill one Program per turn.

E: The friendlies are called Programs, and the baddies are called Virus's.

Easy.

@jacabyte, on Sep 28 2008, 08:36 AM, said in GTW Game 32:

I'm glad I didn't sign up for this one... Dear lord, these roles are confusing even me , and I'm not playing.

I don't see how everybody (except Shlimazel) sees this game as confusing. I laid it out in basic terms, or so I thought. See below.

There are two teams, one evil and one good, yes or no?

Yes.

There are at least two people out there who can change one player's vote every two rounds, and there's one for each side, yes or no? (The corrupter in general is a red flag, in my opinion. This role has been tried in the past, and frustrated everybody.)

Yes, and you're not the first to say that.

Tron isn't a part of either team, but could kill anyone, yes or no?

No. Tron is a good program. He can kill anyone, but he wants to kill the baddies.

By the way, Shlimazel, you're almost spot-on in your interpretation. The only thing that's wrong is A: The corrupter can change the vote every turn, but the more I think about this, the more I like the idea of "every two turns".

The general outcries that I hear are "this is too confusing" (without any explanation of how they think it is so) and "the corrupter will kill the game" (which I don't think is accurate, but everybody else seems to think so). If you wish, I can try and overhaul the rules so that everybody can better understand them / not freak out about the corrupter. Sound fair?

(by the way, until we decide on anything, the round is still going)

The corrupter can change the energy (aka votes) away from a program and towards another program of ONE vote every second cycle

Well, this is what it says. I suppose I could have interperted it wrongly, but it looks like "every two turns" to me.

Anyway, carry on.

@shlimazel, on Sep 28 2008, 09:05 AM, said in GTW Game 32:

Well, this is what it says. I suppose I could have interperted it wrongly, but it looks like "every two turns" to me.

Anyway, carry on.

You're right, I'm wrong. This is what I get for being yelled at and whined at and not getting much sleep.

I vote Rebelious Retracted for making uncool roles.

This post has been edited by lemonyscapegoat : 28 September 2008 - 01:41 PM

Ah well, to continue the game, mrxak.

lemonyscapegoat , because we need to stop complaining about the game and play. Plus the cascade of votes for mrxak is not a good thing.

I'll vote jrsh92 in some sort of bullsh*t self-defense and for considering two votes to be a 'cascade' against mrxak.