Ambrosia Releases DEFCON Mac Update

ROCHESTER, New York -- May 3, 2007 -- Ambrosia Software, in partnership with London maverick indie developer Introversion Software announced today the release of DEFCON 1.4.2. This updated version of the online, multiplayer strategy game provides fixes and enhancements, and can be downloaded here:

http://www.AmbrosiaS...m/games/defcon/

DEFCON 1.4.2 features the following changes/enhancements:

NOTE: DEFCON 1.4.1 was never publicly released

-- Eliminated performance problems with fleet activity

-- Fixed oddities with ships around the International Date Line

-- Fixed queued nuke indicator

-- Hopefully fixed occassional crashes related to sound playback

-- Various other optimizations and bug fixes

The game, inspired by the 1983 cult-classic film, WarGames, superbly evokes the tension, paranoia and suspicion surrounding the Cold War era. DEFCON was an instantaneous success, receiving an average of 85%+ in game reviews and scores of praise. PC Gamer UK described it as "pure, deep, utterly unconscionable fun", while IGN awarded DEFCON an Editors Choice Award and praised it as "highly impressive".

DEFCON is immediately available online from Ambrosia Software's website - http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com at a price of $25.00. Download your copy, and start experiencing DEFCON immediately with a free trial.

Ambrosia Software, Inc. - publisher of award-winning programs for the Macintosh and Windows distributes a full line of utility, productivity, and anti-productivity (game) software through the Internet as shareware. Unregistered versions of Ambrosia's products on DVD-ROM can be obtained at Ambrosia's web site, http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com or by calling Ambrosia's order center at 585.325.1910.

Media Contact:

John Champlin
Ambrosia Software, Inc.
pr@ambrosiasw.com

Yayness!

Hallelujah! No more naval battle lag! I can justify the money I spent on the game!

Well, not justify, exactly, but buying the game only to find out there was a huge bug that made the game nearly unplayable did sort of piss me off.

@gimli, on May 4 2007, 05:16 AM, said in Ambrosia Releases DEFCON Mac Update:

Hallelujah! No more naval battle lag! I can justify the money I spent on the game!

Well, not justify, exactly, but buying the game only to find out there was a huge bug that made the game nearly unplayable did sort of piss me off.

You could have still put it on "Speed 2" while fighting your sea battles. 🙂

@freq245, on May 4 2007, 01:36 AM, said in Ambrosia Releases DEFCON Mac Update:

You could have still put it on "Speed 2" while fighting your sea battles. 🙂

Didn't seem to matter. Instant slowdown no matter the speed setting.

I have a comment and a question:

I wish there was a way to play against computer AI only while I learn the game. It's a relatively steep learning curve and getting absolutely decimated by online "experts" is a bit discouraging. The tutorial is just a 'bare bones' interface orientation -- not nearly comprehensive enough to prepare one for 'war'. Looks like some rough road ahead.

Question: How come the price difference in the Mac and PC versions? $19.95 for PC as opposed to $25.00 for us? Not a real big deal, but it's the same game, right?

This post has been edited by Denigo : 16 May 2007 - 09:31 PM

@denigo, on May 16 2007, 10:23 PM, said in Ambrosia Releases DEFCON Mac Update:

How come the price difference in the Mac and PC versions? $19.95 for PC as opposed to $25.00 for us?

It's most likely because ASW has to make some money - they can't just take peanuts on a publishing deal and expect to be a successful business. IIRC, Introversion publishes their PC titles in-house. I'm guessing they turn to ASW for brand recognition that would help the Mac version of <introversiongame> be more successful.

@anaxagoras, on May 16 2007, 10:28 PM, said in Ambrosia Releases DEFCON Mac Update:

It's most likely because ASW has to make some money - they can't just take peanuts on a publishing deal and expect to be a successful business. IIRC, Introversion publishes their PC titles in-house. I'm guessing they turn to ASW for brand recognition that would help the Mac version of <introversiongame> be more successful.

Yeah, I surely can't begrudge these guys that... I've been a big fan ever since the "Big Cheese Key" way back in 19badabing. I've ended up registering every Ambrosia app and game that's piqued my interest enough to dl it. Haven't been disappointed yet.

@denigo, on May 17 2007, 02:23 AM, said in Ambrosia Releases DEFCON Mac Update:

I wish there was a way to play against computer AI only while I learn the game. It's a relatively steep learning curve and getting absolutely decimated by online "experts" is a bit discouraging. The tutorial is just a 'bare bones' interface orientation -- not nearly comprehensive enough to prepare one for 'war'. Looks like some rough road ahead.

Create a new game. Click on the button that says "Add AI Player." Badabing! Badaboom! You're golden. Open more slots and add more AIs if one ain't enough. But remember, the AI sucks. Real players are much better.

xander