Hard mode hints?

Ok, I've firmly established myself as a user who seems to want a lot of hints.. now that this is out of the way, I'm hoping someone can provide some kind hints about how to succeed in the hard mode. I can't even get past the first boss, the dragon fly thing. One tiny little bug causes 50% damage on one hit! :blink:

Anyhow, any suggestions from the hard core players out there?

This post has been edited by Eluxtria : 25 March 2007 - 01:43 AM

@eluxtria, on Mar 25 2007, 01:42 AM, said in Hard mode hints?:

Ok, I've firmly established myself as a user who seems to want a lot of hints.. now that this is out of the way, I'm hoping someone can provide some kind hints about how to succeed in the hard mode. I can't even get past the first boss, the dragon fly thing. One tiny little bug causes 50% damage on one hit! :blink:

Anyhow, any suggestions from the hard core players out there?

I think I've tried to kill the first boss about 30 times now. I've gotten close, maybe to 20% of his life, but its insanely hard. The tail is the target, but I just have no shields.. I'm dying out here.

Basically, you need to be able to take out the little flickers as soon as they're launched. If you can't aim at them accurately enough to kill them before they hit you, you may want to tweak your control settings a bit- you can find the turn rate setting in the options panel, which can be accessed in-game. Do note that although you can increase your accuracy by doing this, it will negatively affect your ability to dodge out of the way of fast-moving objects.

The overall tactic I seem to use is to go to the far side of the arena from the boss, so that it is nearly off-screen, and shoot at either the head or tail, whichever is closer. When it launches flickers and turns to charge, I duck a bit to the side of its path, so as to clear the wings (generally continuing to shoot at it- its head is quite vulnerable at this point, although killing nearby flickers takes a higher priority), take out the flickers while backing farther away, and then resume firing at the boss. I repeat this until the boss dies.

Edwards

@edwards, on Mar 25 2007, 02:52 AM, said in Hard mode hints?:

Basically, you need to be able to take out the little flickers as soon as they're launched. If you can't aim at them accurately enough to kill them before they hit you, you may want to tweak your control settings a bit- you can find the turn rate setting in the options panel, which can be accessed in-game. Do note that although you can increase your accuracy by doing this, it will negatively affect your ability to dodge out of the way of fast-moving objects.

The overall tactic I seem to use is to go to the far side of the arena from the boss, so that it is nearly off-screen, and shoot at either the head or tail, whichever is closer. When it launches flickers and turns to charge, I duck a bit to the side of its path, so as to clear the wings (generally continuing to shoot at it- its head is quite vulnerable at this point, although killing nearby flickers takes a higher priority), take out the flickers while backing farther away, and then resume firing at the boss. I repeat this until the boss dies.

Edwards

Thanks, that's just what I did. Once I got over the initial boss, everything started to get a lot easier.