SketchFighter 1.0.1 is out!

@silverwind, on Mar 6 2007, 01:12 PM, said in SketchFighter 1.0.1 is out!:

Hey GSN, does this mean you'll be able to release TTOTP now?

First I have to test it and make sure nothing's been borked by 1.0.1. If anything has I'll have to fix it.

Well, I did test a few custom levels agains the various 1.0.1 betas (if only to test the custom level saving feature), and I did not notice this (and I still don't with the 1.0.1 release), but at the same time my computer isn't exactly low-end (1.83GHz MacBook): in Obstacle Course and Obstacle Course Circuit Challenge I do not notice any framerate slowdown in the rapids; I'm noticing a bit of framerate slowdown in Shooting Gallery when there are shots flying, but it's not unplayable. Sorry about that, I don't know the details of why that bugfix has this effect, but it's not outlandish that it could have this effect.

Edwin: No. Blob breeding is not fun for the engine.

Edwards: You wouldn't believe how many bugs are my pet bugs 😉 unfortunately, not all of them are shown in this list.

And Pi, don't worry about beating Magnus to the punch, after all the first topic to this forum was unofficial too 😉

@edwards, on Mar 7 2007, 03:29 AM, said in SketchFighter 1.0.1 is out!:

Does this mean that we can now leave layer 1 displayed all the time without worrying about editing it, assuming we've locked it?

Exactly. And I'm sorry for not reporting the slowdown to the list, I was always thinking of it being an issue with my computer and didn't test the newer levels in the old 1.0.0. We'll see if levels like "Obstacle Course" will be playable again in the future. I was just able to beat it with 1.0.1bX if I removed all the force fields. :rolleyes:

So, I think there'll be some nice new levels for the community now. My own one is sitting on my desktop for several months, waiting to be released.

It's just occurred to me that triggers can be much larger than normal sprites because they're invisible, so they can stay culled out until the exact moment the player enters them. I just tested, and the precise dimensions that make this happen are 1535% x 1149% (1382x1069). Not only does this potentially reduce the number of triggers necessary, but the extra culling should help keep the onscreen total down.

Maybe there really is hope for the rapids after all.

Edit: Edwards, I think it would be useful to add a section to the (in)Complete Guide about force field CPU usage and the size limit suggestion.

This post has been edited by cheleball : 07 March 2007 - 11:58 PM

Yes, I think it's always possible to save in the number of triggers (especially force field ones), I've always though there were too many in the rapids, especially if they are culled out they don't take any processing power (other than the one necessary to cull them out, and it only takes a little processing power to cull stuff out, not need for complex collision detection, the game only considers the center for culling).