What now...?

-Possible Spoilers-

Righty then, I just registered a copy of this fantasic little game yesterday and Im a little stuck trying to get somewhere.

I know my next destination is the 'Forest' and I have been trying for some time now to get there. I have been going to all the logical places on the 3 connecting maps, with now luck. In some of the sealed off area's Ive noticed switches within walls, which I presume you can unlock after the Forest but I may be wrong. I have the four colour beams, normal pellets and the S. Beam, plus 15 missiles. Oh, and one of those no-pupose-I-know-of Star things. 😉

Anyone know what I need/haven't done? Or at least which map/area the entrance to the forest is?

This post has been edited by Nijet : 03 December 2006 - 03:12 PM

It's a little complicated to get to the Forest, but it's from the Factory. Explore it in detail.

Spoiler

Have a look at the factory, or, more exactly, on the area above the entrance to the Ice Caves after the factory mini boss.

Edit: Sorry ZP, we were writing our comments at the same time.

This post has been edited by Freq245 : 03 December 2006 - 03:16 PM

Cannot beleive I missed that! Well now all I have to do is take out that mini boss, looks though. Thanks guys.

I figured out that that could be a way in to the Forest but try as I might I can't seem to touch that sheilded guardian with anything I have.

Hmph.

Gnardak.

Try a few missiles?

If I'm remembering the right boss, it's the one fully surrounded in a circular shield? If so, you need to use your weapon that can shoot through things...

@student-of-trinity, on Dec 7 2006, 09:40 PM, said in What now...?:

Try a few missiles?

Thanks, got 'im now.

Gnardak.

@andcarne, on Dec 7 2006, 05:06 PM, said in What now...?:

If I'm remembering the right boss, it's the one fully surrounded in a circular shield? If so, you need to use your weapon that can shoot through things...

You get that at the end of the forest.

Two missiles. Does the trick.

(Also, the gap between forest and wasteland is... intense... wow.)

@nebuchadnezzar, on Dec 8 2006, 03:51 PM, said in What now...?:

Two missiles. Does the trick.

Yeah, two missiles isn't really doing the trick for me. I've managed to kill him once , and was promptly taken out by one of the smaller fighters before I could dodge.

Maybe I'm just slow, but this section is kicking my ass to the point where it's really not fun anymore.

I mean, if I'd known there'd be difficulty jumps that sharp I probably wouldn't have registered the game.

edit: the spoiler box was annoying, so I removed it. Consider yourselves warned.

@nlanza, on Dec 12 2006, 07:03 PM, said in What now...?:

Yeah, two missiles isn't really doing the trick for me. I've managed to kill him once , and was promptly taken out by one of the smaller fighters before I could dodge.

Maybe I'm just slow, but this section is kicking my ass to the point where it's really not fun anymore.

I mean, if I'd known there'd be difficulty jumps that sharp I probably wouldn't have registered the game.

Sorry to hear that. When I originally went through the game I never had much problem with this part, but on other runs, especially a minimalist run, it was by far the hardest part before the final fight.

Anyway, advice (now without spoiler box!):

-hopefully you have and are using the homing gun here. If you don't have it, you should consider finding it before you enter- it really helps with the smaller fighters.
-Otherwise, take the sections cautiously. If you inch into the entrance, you can take out one fighter below the entrance before he gets close enough to hurt you (this might require super pellets, I am not sure). Similarly, you can sometimes fly quickly into the areas where the rest of the fighters live before retreating and leave, drawing them away and picking them off.
-to defeat the guardian, I usually wait until I can see him on the other side of the barrier, then pop out and missle away his shields before retreating. The most important thing is not to let him sneak up behind you. Try to always know where he is.
- I usually take a break midway in the fight to go to the little non-black place at the bottom where you can hit the switch. This will let you be in a fairly safe area for a moment, and also you usually can replenish most of your shields from powerups you get from when you break the rocks. There are also rocks at the left just when you enter that can heal you.
-Above all, don't just slug it out with the enemies. Use quick strikes in and out of their areas before they get a chance to hit you.

I hope this helps you through this part and makes the game enjoyable again. Keep at it, the ending is pretty neat. 🙂

This post has been edited by Veritus Dartarion : 12 December 2006 - 11:55 PM

@nebuchadnezzar, on Dec 8 2006, 08:51 PM, said in What now...?:

This is the easiest miniboss in the entire game. Because it guards a star rather than an upgrade, you can wait until you already have all the upgrades before tackling it. Super wavegun forever! (4.3 MB)

@bo-lindbergh, on Dec 13 2006, 06:58 PM, said in What now...?:

This is the easiest miniboss in the entire game. Because it guards a star rather than an upgrade, you can wait until you already have all the upgrades before tackling it. Super wavegun forever! (4.3 MB)

Yeah, but I'm sure you didn't get a good highscores best time by taking the many detours.

Forget rockets. They help, but you don't need them. Try all of the different colors on him. That might help, and, every time you hit him, you can see where he is.

xander

@veritus-dartarion, on Dec 12 2006, 11:52 PM, said in What now...?:

I hope this helps you through this part and makes the game enjoyable again. Keep at it, the ending is pretty neat. 🙂

I'm really not sure we're talking about the same section of the game here.

I'm talking about trying to get into the Forest from the Factory, where there are a couple of small fighters firing three pellets at once and a large central fighter surrounded by a circular shield who fires large blasts that remove half of my shields each time, and your descriptions make it sound like you're talking about a different encounter entirely.

I definitely don't have the homing gun, and this isn't the all-black section of the map.

Ah. Now I get it. This game has much greater play value than I'd initially estimated. Great stuff.