Lava.

If I can't get past it, I'll have to trash the game.

The lava is the single most annoying thing I've seen in a videogame in the past year or so - stuff that hurts a LOT when you run over it, but can't be removed. Yes, it's possible to fly around, but it's too hard to figure out where the bounding boxes are.

I can navigate mild lava okay, but the thick stuff that I apparently need to get by to get a blue gun is impassible. Is there some trick I've missed? (The part I refer to is in the big "lava field" in Volcano on the left side. I've explored both the right and the bottom, to my own disappointment. By the time you get to the bottom, your shields are so low that the shields provided do no good whatsoever, and the right side holds...nothing but a closed blue gate.)

I really want to buy this game, but I won't buy it if I can't even beat the demo. The learning curve for flying like this is huge - players without arcade reflexes will be at a total loss.

This post has been edited by diordna : 01 December 2006 - 11:27 PM

Wait, you were able to make it to the blue door and the bottom of the map through the lava? Congratulations, that is pretty impressive; I don't think I could pull that off. However, the thick lava fields are not where you need to be going right now. When you do need to get through, you will be able to. Right now you should be going somewhere else, I don't remember offhand where. You should check the hints link on your map for ideas, and also think of what the last boss you killed gave you, and how that could open up new areas.

edit: More generally, often the next place that you need to go to progress won't be the closest or most obvious. You should always keep thinking in the back of your mind about what areas might be open to you that weren't before, and don't be afraid to backtrack to previous territories that weren't fully explored to see if you can get to a new area.

This post has been edited by Veritus Dartarion : 01 December 2006 - 11:47 PM

To be clearer: you're not supposed to cross this patch of lava alive yet (and anyway, there are more serious blocks just after it, like the blue door, Just In Caseâ„¢ some SF4ka God would succeed anyway). You need to pick up something else first that will make you insensitive to the lava dots. It's not in the Volcano.

I think this is going to be one of the first FAQs...

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 2 2006, 11:22 AM, said in Lava.:

To be clearer: you're not supposed to cross this patch of lava alive yet (and anyway, there are more serious blocks just after it, like the blue door, Just In Case™ some SF4ka God would succeed anyway). You need to pick up something else first that will make you insensitive to the lava dots. It's not in the Volcano.

I think this is going to be one of the first FAQs...

Yeah. Maybe there could be an invisible wall in front of this area, with 'Registered players only!' written on it.

Ah, thank you. No, I haven't actually opened a blue door yet.

I'll go asploring again. I've used missiles once already to get more missiles, but I haven't found anymore missile-able areas yet.

ohhh, thats supposed to be lava. it all makes sense now.

doesnt make it any less annoying, but it does make sense 😛

Lol, yeah, I did that in the lava too, as well: I got to the blue door, and I also got past the red door and all the way down to the bottom where there are boxes and a green power button. Needless to say that didn't help very much. 😛 I was also attempting to go to the left as well, but that's just too thick and long to go anywhere. I ended up forgetting about that endeavor, and it was a good choice. 😉

This post has been edited by simX : 02 December 2006 - 07:46 PM

Just so you know: if you go the west (or left) path, you end up finding a message telling you to go back, with a repulsive field. It's so hard to get there that I've only been able to see it once.

So where do you go instead? I can't find anything else to explore...

@cjm2, on Dec 3 2006, 04:15 PM, said in Lava.:

So where do you go instead? I can't find anything else to explore...

Try entering another world, but maybe you'll have to register before your adventure is able to continue. 🙂

No, you can go back to the Wastelands and continue the adventure awhile without registering (though it's suggested anyways).

I have registered...and I'm as lost as diordna is.

You need a special item to be able to cross the lava. Look for it in the Factory.

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 10 2006, 07:13 AM, said in Lava.:

You need a special item to be able to cross the lava. Look for it in the Factory.

What factory..? I registered, also, but am still frustrated. Fun little game. I can tell you knocked yourself out on the graphics 😉

@x76, on Dec 12 2006, 02:28 PM, said in Lava.:

What factory..? I registered, also, but am still frustrated. Fun little game. I can tell you knocked yourself out on the graphics 😉

Argh, never mind, NOW I get it...

@veritus-dartarion, on Dec 1 2006, 08:41 PM, said in Lava.:

Wait, you were able to make it to the blue door and the bottom of the map through the lava? Congratulations, that is pretty impressive; I don't think I could pull that off.

I got down there, also. It took about ten times, and figuring out the timing (navigating spilled tacks in Harry helped me here).

However, the thick lava fields are not where you need to be going right now. When you do need to get through, you will be able to. Right now you should be going somewhere else, I don't remember offhand where. You should check the hints link on your map for ideas, and also think of what the last boss you killed gave you, and how that could open up new areas.

I've got missiles and a beam. How in the heck to I get the weap for the blue boxes over to the right, and the blue gate? As far as the hints link goes, is it possible to know where to go, without using it?

edit: More generally, often the next place that you need to go to progress won't be the closest or most obvious. You should always keep thinking in the back of your mind about what areas might be open to you that weren't before, and don't be afraid to backtrack to previous territories that weren't fully explored to see if you can get to a new area.

But, it seemed to me, that I needed a blue weap to get past the blue boxes. The only place open to me (or so it seemed) was the lava fields to the south. goes and tries again

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 10 2006, 07:13 AM, said in Lava.:

Factory? I don't get it. Do I need to use the cheater hint link to figure this out? 🙂

You may need to exit the Volcano by coming back through the way you entered it, and then look for this fabled "Factory"...

But you have to be registered to enter the area where you can get the "anti-lava upgrade" and to get with this upgrade the possibility of visiting a new place where you could be able to find a blue colour addition.

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 13 2006, 04:45 AM, said in Lava.:

You may need to exit the Volcano by coming back through the way you entered it, and then look for this fabled "Factory"...

Thanks, I figured this out last night by accident. I didnt realize I could visit a previous world.

@freq245, on Dec 13 2006, 05:16 AM, said in Lava.:

But you have to be registered to enter the area where you can get the "anti-lava upgrade" and to get with this upgrade the possibility of visiting a new place where you could be able to find a blue colour addition.

I'm registered