help with forest boss

help with forest boss

I can't beat the forest boss (tentacles eyes thing) I know I have to kill the two side eyes to disable the shield, but it just can't kill the middle eye. I have 2nd ship, shields, 5 missiles, all color guns, pellets and s beam. do I need to get something else before i can kill this boss?

Let me put it this way - this is not a boss you want to play keepaway with. He has better ranged attacks than you do. But his defenses aren't perfect...

@derakon, on Dec 3 2006, 08:35 PM, said in help with forest boss:

Let me put it this way - this is not a boss you want to play keepaway with. He has better ranged attacks than you do. But his defenses aren't perfect...

So do I have to kill the tentacles? becaues they don't seem to be able to be harmed. Could you give me a little more hint

No, what he's saying is that you want to stay close to the central eye and keep hammering away at it. He will sometimes try to crush you with his tentacles, but often you can get him before he gets you.

thanks to both of you

I prefer to kill it from afar with the power and accuracy of the super beam (during the brief windows of opportunity), but it's just me.

@zacha-pedro, on Dec 4 2006, 12:27 PM, said in help with forest boss:

I prefer to kill it from afar with the power and accuracy of the super beam (during the brief windows of opportunity), but it's just me.

Should I have the super beam before taking on this boss? I don't, just pellets and normal beam, and I am having no luck with this boss.

I used the following tactic: Take out the two side-things as quickly as possible, then positioned myself right in front of the central eye thing and spammed missiles and super pellets at it. Took around 4-6 seconds, then it was dead. Ignore the beetles and shrapnel globs unless they stand in your way of hitting the boss.

I believe I had 15 or 20 missiles at this point, which makes spamming them easier, but 5 should be enough if all hit.

This post has been edited by God 2.0 : 04 December 2006 - 11:20 PM

@god-2-0, on Dec 4 2006, 08:19 PM, said in help with forest boss:

I used the following tactic: Take out the two side-things as quickly as possible, then positioned myself right in front of the central eye thing and spammed missiles and super pellets at it. Took around 4-6 seconds, then it was dead. Ignore the beetles and shrapnel globs unless they stand in your way of hitting the boss.

I believe I had 15 or 20 missiles at this point, which makes spamming them easier, but 5 should be enough if all hit.

On my last run, I had to beat the boss with five missiles, a regular beam, and 100% health. It took awhile, but it is very possible. Although for this boss regular beam isn't much worse than super beam, since I tend to stay close to it anyway. I actually suspect that the regular beam does the same damage as the super beam.

@veritus-dartarion, on Dec 5 2006, 06:48 AM, said in help with forest boss:

I actually suspect that the regular beam does the same damage as the super beam.

I just tried it out and wasn't able to see any big differences between the damage of them, I was able to kill a small turret in Normal mode with a Super Beam gun with 4 shots and in Hard Mode with a normal Beam gun with 3 shots, so the normal one could even do a bit more damage.

Forest boss defeated. Knowing I didn't need any special equipment was the motivation I needed to finish him off. The strategy advice didn't hurt either. 😉