[Xsera] Other Xsera

@adam_0, on Feb 18 2009, 06:51 AM, said in [Xsera] Other Xsera:

I can't get that file - it comes up as junk on my screen. Could you please zip the file? Thanks.

Safari will do that to any file. Firefox, on the other hand, is fine. However, on Safari, you should be able to right click the link and "save as".

Ok, got it. Thanks! I always forget about the right-click option.

EDIT: What type of file is it? Because it doesn't have a suffix and my computer doesn't recognize it.

This post has been edited by adam_0 : 18 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

It's a 3ds max file. IIRC it's only on Windows... You could probably import it to a different model editor somehow, but I doubt it considering it's a 3ds max scene rather than a simple model.

Hm, so what's this with the music? Are we not allowed to use the original sound files for Xsera?

Maybe we should update the FAQs..

@two-jacks, on Feb 21 2009, 04:25 PM, said in [Xsera] Other Xsera:

Hm, so what's this with the music? Are we not allowed to use the original sound files for Xsera?

Maybe we should update the FAQs..

What do you mean?

EDIT:: Oh, nm. I just saw the new post in the log. I don't know exactly what the plan is...

This post has been edited by redsteven : 21 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

Yesterday, my copy of Leopard arrived and one of the first things I did was install Xcode and compile Xsera. The copy I used was downloaded from GitHub last night at 8:30. After installing the necessary SDL frameworks and building the app, I ended up with a black window and music. That's it. Is there anything I did wrong?

System: 1 GHz Titanium PowerBook G4, 64 MB Mobility Radeon 9000, 1 GB of RAM, Mac OS 10.5.6 build 9G66, using a version of Xsera compiled exclusively for the PowerPC and Xcode 3.1.2.

It's odd that the Xsera menu wouldn't give me any options and command-Q wouldn't quit, but it would quit normally if quit from the dock (my apologies if that seems confusing.) The only thing I could do besides listen to Doomtroopers Unite was minimize the window.

@two-jacks, on Feb 21 2009, 12:25 PM, said in [Xsera] Other Xsera:

We will be using the original music files for Xsera. I came across someone who wanted some solid experience in developing music for games, and since he's decided to volunteer, I thought it would be cool to have new music for Xsera.

Here's something that I think isn't so clearly defined: the two experiences of Xsera. There will be the completely original experience, with original graphics, sound effects, music, etc. and also the new experience, with upgraded everything and anything we can get our hands on. This is important to note because it seems that every time I say "Oh X is making upgraded Ys for Xsera" people seem to think that means that we're not using the original Ys, which is not true.

@gavin83209, on Feb 22 2009, 09:15 AM, said in [Xsera] Other Xsera:

Yesterday, my copy of Leopard arrived and one of the first things I did was install Xcode and compile Xsera. The copy I used was downloaded from GitHub last night at 8:30. After installing the necessary SDL frameworks and building the app, I ended up with a black window and music. That's it. Is there anything I did wrong?

This is interesting, although Alastair would probably be better to figure out what's going on, because I no longer have a PowerPC with a processor speed great enough to handle 10.2 or greater.

System: 1 GHz Titanium PowerBook G4, 64 MB Mobility Radeon 9000, 1 GB of RAM, Mac OS 10.5.6 build 9G66, using a version of Xsera compiled exclusively for the PowerPC and Xcode 3.1.2.

I had that exact computer, but never got around to compiling Xsera before selling it for parts (the screen was broken, along with a few other things). Try upgrading Xcode - the latest version is 3.2.1 - and tell me if that helps any (download it from apple.com). I don't think there should be any compatibility issues between the two, but just in case...

It's odd that the Xsera menu wouldn't give me any options and command-Q wouldn't quit, but it would quit normally if quit from the dock (my apologies if that seems confusing.) The only thing I could do besides listen to Doomtroopers Unite was minimize the window.

We haven't set up menus. The only way to quit the game currently is to click the close button. Also, no commands will work because the command key is currently undefined.

As for the black screen: can you give me the debugger output? That might give me a hint as to what's going on. If it's very long, post it to pastebin.com and link.

http://pastebin.com/m4737aff4
I think I accidentally ran the debugger 3 times. Sorry about that.

I had that exact computer...

But did yours have a 250 GB hard drive? Mine has seen a handful of modifications. Amazing what you can pick up for $250.

Try upgrading Xcode - the latest version is 3.2.1...

I couldn't find a copy of 3.2.1.
Versiontracker, MacUpdate, and Apple will only give me 3.1.2.

The copy I used was downloaded from GitHub last night at 8:30.

I should mention that that was PST.

@gavin83209, on Feb 22 2009, 02:13 PM, said in [Xsera] Other Xsera:

http://pastebin.com/m4737aff4
I think I accidentally ran the debugger 3 times. Sorry about that.

That's alright. I don't know what's wrong, but did you install all of the following SDL parts?

- SDL
- SDL_mixer
- SDL_ttf
- SDL_image

I'm suspecting you don't have one of those (in particular, SDL_image), but I can't tell from the output. Make sure you have all of them.

@gavin83209, on Feb 22 2009, 02:13 PM, said in [Xsera] Other Xsera:

I couldn't find a copy of 3.2.1.

My apologies, temporary dyslexia on that. You are correct, 3.1.2 is the newest version.

This post has been edited by adam_0 : 22 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

No, I have all four. It wouldn't let me build it until I had them.

I'm sorry, I can't help you from here, as it builds fine on my Intel computer, and I have no access to a PowerPC computer with Xcode on it.

Anybody else with Xcode and a PowerPC Mac want to try and build? It appears the application that my computer builds isn't UB.

So I just ran across the Xsera project a little while ago, and I'm very interested. I've been rather dismayed that I can't play Ares on my new MacBook, and all my older machines are broken. Anyway, I read on the progress log that the music is getting changed. I'd like to raise a voice of dissent here. IMO, Ares had the best music of any game I've ever played, and five of the songs from the game are in my top 25 most played on iTunes, with F.R.E.D.'s Theme reaching #1. While I can't exactly stop the music from being replaced, could there at least be an option for the classic music to be used instead?

QUOTE (Fresnel @ Feb 24 2009, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I just ran across the Xsera project a little while ago, and I'm very interested. I've been rather dismayed that I can't play Ares on my new MacBook, and all my older machines are broken. Anyway, I read on the progress log that the music is getting changed. I'd like to raise a voice of dissent here. IMO, Ares had the best music of any game I've ever played, and five of the songs from the game are in my top 25 most played on iTunes, with F.R.E.D.'s Theme reaching #1. While I can't exactly stop the music from being replaced, could there at least be an option for the classic music to be used instead?

Yes, we will have the original music:

QUOTE (adam_0 @ Feb 22 2009, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We will be using the original music files for Xsera. I came across someone who wanted some solid experience in developing music for games, and since he's decided to volunteer, I thought it would be cool to have new music for Xsera.

Here's something that I think isn't so clearly defined: the two experiences of Xsera. There will be the completely original experience, with original graphics, sound effects, music, etc. and also the new experience, with upgraded everything and anything we can get our hands on. This is important to note because it seems that every time I say "Oh X is making upgraded Ys for Xsera" people seem to think that means that we're not using the original Ys, which is not true.

QUOTE (adam_0 @ Feb 24 2009, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, we will have the original music:

Oh, well, that explains that. Guess I missed that bit.

Complaint retracted. ^_^

I'm working in the 'upgraded everything' area. It's fun! I get to do lots of greebling!

"Greebling"? That sounds like a race from a C.S. Lewis novel.

It's a graphical arts term for adding details (such as vents and PD weaponry) to space ships. 😉

QUOTE (Sundered Angel @ Feb 25 2009, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Greebling"? That sounds like a race from a C.S. Lewis novel.

Yeah, because Greebles are young Dryads 😛

QUOTE (JacaByte @ Feb 26 2009, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a graphical arts term for adding details (such as vents and PD weaponry) to space ships. 😉

That's one highly specific graphical arts term. Does it apply to any object other than spaceships?

QUOTE (adam_0 @ Feb 26 2009, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, because Greebles are young Dryads 😛

My suspicions are confirmed. Shlimazel - unhand those Dryads!

QUOTE (Sundered Angel @ Feb 25 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's one highly specific graphical arts term. Does it apply to any object other than spaceships?

I always thought it applied to any 3D graphics, but I'm not sure.