[Xsera] [ANN] Xsera Demo 1 Released!

9:49 PM PDT, March 30, 2009

It is my pleasure to announce the first official technical demo for Xsera! This demo is compatible with Mac OS 10.5 and later.

The demo allows the player, in an Ishiman Heavy Cruiser, to navigate through space towards a Gaitori Carrier, to the Northeast of the player.

Read more about the demo here. Download the demo and start playing now!

I have created a makeshift "add-on" which contains the graphics that Shlimazel has made thus far. Read the instructions and download it!

Hopefully we'll be able to create a video of Xsera in action and post it for all of those who cannot run this demo. In the future, we plan on making Xsera more compatible than it currently is (including Windows and previous Mac OS X support).

Thanks for playing!

adam_0

This post has been edited by adam_0 : 31 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

I played an earlier version of this, it's pretty nice. 🙂

Was going to go sleep but..................

Very nice. Are you still not allowed to deliver it with the data from the original installed?

I'm OSX 10.4.7 on an iBook 12" and the demo refuses to launch. Also, when I open the Resources folder, there is no Sprite folder, there is only one folder which is labelled DWARF, in capitals. Lastly, your download and instructions links are switched for the add-on.

Note that this is a technical demo ONLY - it's a little showcase of the Apollo engine with a minimal version of Xsera running, rather than anything fully-fledged.

QUOTE (Shlimazel @ Mar 31 2009, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm OSX 10.4.7 on an iBook 12" and the demo refuses to launch. Also, when I open the Resources folder, there is no Sprite folder, there is only one folder which is labelled DWARF, in capitals. Lastly, your download and instructions links are switched for the add-on.

I, too, am having the same problem as described. It bounces around in the dock for a bit then disappears. Finder says that it's a universal app in the Get Info box. I'm using a MDD G4 1.25 GHz running OS X 10.4.11. I wanted to see Xsera's progress, peeps! Don't tell me you've dumped PPC users. 😞

QUOTE (KWDEMON @ Mar 30 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very nice. Are you still not allowed to deliver it with the data from the original installed?

Most of the original files will be included with the demo. For more info, please read the Xsera FAQ.

QUOTE (Shlimazel @ Mar 31 2009, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, this demo isn't going to run on anything less than 10.5, as stated in the first post. We plan to expand compatibility, but as this is the first demo it is mainly to show off Apollo, as prophile said.

Also, download links fixed.

Very impressive! The skeleton of the game seems to be well intact.

I do have one small problem... I can't find the Gaitori Cruiser...

The Gaitori Carrier is to the Northeast of your ship. Zoom out to 1/16th to see where it is.

Seems to be moving along quite well. Well done ,congratulations all around guys.

A round of drinks is in order!

Too bad I can't play it, though I'm still very happy that this milestone has been reached! 🙂

Wow! Very cool. Performance is a bit uneven on a MacBook, but I hope this is because of integrated graphics. (I don't have a desktop with Leopard.) The new graphics are nice, too. The carrier is too small, though. I suggest changing its scaling factor back to 1 or rendering a larger version.

QUOTE (JacaByte @ Mar 31 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I, too, am having the same problem as described. It bounces around in the dock for a bit then disappears. Finder says that it's a universal app in the Get Info box. I'm using a MDD G4 1.25 GHz running OS X 10.4.11. I wanted to see Xsera's progress, peeps! Don't tell me you've dumped PPC users. 😞

Dumping PPC users would require firing 1/3rd of the programming staff (me).

QUOTE (adam_0 @ Apr 1 2009, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Gaitori Carrier is to the Northeast of your ship. Zoom out to 1/16th to see where it is.

That Gaitori Carrier is suspiciously fragile... 😉

Now that I've found it, I note that your collision detection seems to be functioning effectively in the demo, though ship-to-ship collisions haven't been implemented yet. Not that I'm telling you anything you don't know. Anyway, it's great to be get first-hand experience of your work - Xsera continues to look highly promising.

QUOTE (LNSU @ Apr 3 2009, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dumping PPC users would require firing 1/3rd of the programming staff (me).

Me too. So, 2/3.

You're supporting PPC users, but 10.5 only?
Ridiculous.

QUOTE (Rickton @ Apr 3 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're supporting PPC users, but 10.5 only?
Ridiculous.

That's only for this first demo.

The plans are to support a variety of operating systems and versions, including even Windows.

10.5 only is a result of the version of Xcode we're using to compile (3.1). We'll eventually try to make it 10.4 compatible, but not yet.

Actually, not quite. I've had some SDK problems with 10.4 with regard to SDL, otherwise I'd have built for that. Having said that, Taylor, you should really get your arse in gear and upgrade.