EVN - Delphi

QUOTE (EKHawkman @ Apr 21 2010, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And a swing to a different thing now! More in-universe. Delphi, I have to ask, how goes the progress on non-NDC ships? Like the Enclave and that other really powerful group that I should remember but don't?

Slow. Very, very slow. However, like my progress on the NDC fleet, I'll probably have a sudden burst of inspiration and get a whole set done all at once.

Planets are invading my desktop.

In others news, I turned 22 on April 21st, 2010, at 3:16 PM.

Nice! And, happy birthday!

Happy birthday, Delphi! I'd attach a link to the birthday song, but that would be illegal seeing as the song is still under copyright.

Interesting desktop background, by-the-way. And lovely planets... er... as lovely as dead-looking planets can be, I suppose...

Happy Birthday Delphi! Also, that is an awesome desktop! May you live to have many more birthdays and desktops!

Birthdays are medically-proven to contribute to your health. It's been tested and re-tested, and scientists alongside medical professionals have concluded that those who celebrate more birthdays live longer.

Happy birthday, Delph. 🙂

Like the background. Don't you find it kind of depressing that all your planets are either on the verge of death or dead, though?

QUOTE (Delphi @ Apr 22 2010, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Birthdays are medically-proven to contribute to your health. It's been tested and re-tested, and scientists alongside medical professionals have concluded that those who celebrate more birthdays live longer.

:laugh:

Happy Birthday

QUOTE (king_of_manticores @ Apr 22 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Happy birthday, Delph. 🙂

Like the background. Don't you find it kind of depressing that all your planets are either on the verge of death or dead, though?

Naw. I like the "ruined universe" sort of environment. Also, it's more than likely that this is exactly what most of the planets we as a people would find, would look like. M-Class and L-Class worlds are extremely few and far between, the majority of the observed galaxy apparently consisting of mostly D-Class barren worlds. It's surprising that most of my planets even have an atmosphere.

That was an interesting point, because it's true. The chances of finding another extremely hospitable planet like Earth is probably next to impossible.

I'm pretty sure you've figured this out, but in LunarCell, if you set the Depth to 1 and the Brightness to 100, you can eliminate the outward atmospheric glow of the planet. The planet isn't darkened by this setup at all, though the edges are a tad lighter tinge than the rest of the planet. Cool if you want a pretty realistic atmosphere.

I've been writing description after description, and the universe is finally starting to emerge as an entity unto itself. I'm very proud of some worlds, and less impressed with others. Oh well, every galaxy needs a little bit of filler, right? I'm going to try and write at least one minor story arc for each intrinsically unique planet in a star cluster, whether its just a simple series of story-driven delivery missions, or even a full-on side quest with specialized rewards, like the terraforming mission series in Nova.

I'm sticking to what I said before, a long time ago: The game's main story is going to be put off-side until the entire universe is assembled and fully-functional, so that I can release a "working" version of the TC, followed by the story, as done by episodic content. When it all comes down to it, I'm going to be doing a core-file re-write like Polycon did, so that I don't end up with accidental resource bleed-through from Nova. Mission/story packs will then be introduced as plug-ins for what will essentially be a completely new version of Nova.

Also, don't worry, there IS a way to change those files under the newest Mac OSX version of Nova. It's as simple as cloning the core app, opening the "package contents", and changing the files under that root.

I do need some planet landing graphics, so if ANYBODY wants to grab a trial version of TerraGen, has an old copy of Bryce, or even wants to mess around in Blender, I'd be absolutely thrilled to have some content. Now, please don't be offended, but I'm EXTREMELY strict about quality of content. Even if I don't use a single piece of work, your name will still be featured in the credits for your trouble.

I know that not many of you will have the tech/tools to fulfill this request, but the offer is there anyway. 🙂

I really hated the original planet rled that I had for Earth, so I pulled a royalty-free photo of the earth from NASA and did some heavy work in Photoshop to make it look like it matches with the Lunarcell planets that populate the rest of the galaxy. Here's my little Versatile Shuttle making a pass over our little blue marble world.

QUOTE (Delphi @ Apr 27 2010, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When it all comes down to it, I'm going to be doing a core-file re-write like Polycon did, so that I don't end up with accidental resource bleed-through from Nova.

Er... Polycon was made as a plug-in, with null resources to stop non-replaced stuff from showing up?

I've definitely got a version of Polycon which was designed to replace core Nova files. Ah well, either way could work. I guess when it comes down to it, it'd still make sense that for an absolute TC, using NO Nova resources, it'd speed up the load order if it doesn't have to load Nova's stuff as well as mine. I can produce either variant, but I would guess that a complete overwrite should load faster and run quicker and slimmer.

QUOTE (Delphi @ Apr 27 2010, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've definitely got a version of Polycon which was designed to replace core Nova files. Ah well, either way could work. I guess when it comes down to it, it'd still make sense that for an absolute TC, using NO Nova resources, it'd speed up the load order if it doesn't have to load Nova's stuff as well as mine. I can produce either variant, but I would guess that a complete overwrite should load faster and run quicker and slimmer.

IIRC, there was someone that remade Polycon into a core-replacement version; it had to be pulled on the request of Polycon's creator, though.
A core-replacement would work better for a TC, I'd guess, even if a few resources are as they are in Nova.

Isn't there a way using the new plugin management system to load a TC without editing the .app?

Not if you want to make a separate 'Delphi' application for Mac users.

I'll do it! Just give me a gorgeous 512x512 picture I can turn into an icon! Please!