Anyone have SpacePort 1.2?

I was asked about porting recently and went looking for SpacePort 1.2 but I don't have a copy anymore and orca's site is down. I haven't been able to get in touch with him either so does anyone here have a copy of it that they could share? I was able to find v1.2b5 via the web archive but I'm hoping to get the final release. It would be very sad to lose this piece of software forever.

Thanks all,
Guy

I've got it. Here you go.

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 19 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

Thanks DarthKev. You'll need to zip it with the built-in zip tool though as you've lost the resource fork there. Do you also have the "Resources" folder that went with it?

If by 'Resources' folder you mean the one titled 'Port Resources' that contains plug-ins with the names Black Panel, EV Basics, and Obsidian Buttons, then yes, I have that folder. As for compressing it properly, I'm not sure what you mean by a built-in zip tool. Do you mean built into SpacePort? Or the one built into Mac OS X?

I mean Port Resources and the zip built in to OS X 🙂

Okay, so I've updated the link above to include the Port Resources folder and its contents. The part that confuses me, however, was when I first compressed SpacePort alone, I had used the Plug-In Archiver, which I would assume should be just as good as (if not better than) Mac OS X's built-in Archiver Utility. I've done the same with this archive containing both SpacePort 1.2 and the Port Resources folder. If it doesn't work, I'll try the Archiver Utility, but I see no reason it would work where the Plug-In Archiver failed.

For convenience, you can click here as well as above to download.

Plug-in Archiver will only work if you turn off "Only encode plug-in/data files", which will make it macbinary encode the app. This isn't really recommended though and I may even remove that option in future. Archive Utility will preserve all extended attributes using AppleDouble encoding, which is nicer for Mac stuff. Normally this isn't an issue as resource forks are pretty uncommon these days but SpacePort is built with RealBasic which is kind of archaic.

This post has been edited by Guy : 19 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

Ah, I didn't realize that. Alright, it's compressed using the Archive Utility now, so it should work.

Cool, thanks heaps DarthKev :). I'll probably put this up on my site for safe keeping.

For reference, while plug-in archiver obviously wasn't designed as a general-purpose archiver, over the years I have made a number of changes and improvements that make it much more suitable for this, assuming you want to archive "clean" (no extended attributes or mac-specific files). Probably its biggest limitation at the moment is it won't preserve symbolic links unless they're inside package folders.

Okay, I've put SpacePort up on my site now. I've included a porting guide and a couple of helper apps and also updated the EV Basics file. If anyone asks about porting old plug-ins, this is what they need 🙂

What’s the nature of its incompatibility with 10.7 — is it simply not Intel-native?

Correct. Orca said that the source is available on request but if we can't get hold of him then that doesn't help 😕

This post has been edited by Guy : 06 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

And in rides the cavalry, into the Valley of...well, maybe not Death, but certainly Uselessness. Esoteric literary references aside, I somehow missed not one but two emails about SpacePort...lost in the shuffle of newsletters I'm too lazy to unsubscribe from, it seems.

Here's the deal: SpacePort was developed with a quite old version of REALbasic that barely supported Mach packaging and had no idea what Intel meant (at least when compiling for Mac). In theory, it should be possible for someone with a more recent version (I have one, actually, but I couldn't tell you whether it supports Intel) to upgrade the source and recompile. I've also considered rewriting it in Cocoa, though I doubt I'll ever put myself up to it.

That being said, I don't currently have access to the source. That computer is at home (13 hours away), where I won't be for another couple months, and has no monitor attached. I believe my dad may also have cannibalized it for parts, though to my knowledge the hard drive is still intact. I was able to recover the source Mike (who alerted me to this thread and joked that he never gets any credit anymore) originally provided me, and he has posted it on his site: http://evula.org/inf...acePortSrc.sitx

I'm glad someone still has the release lying around (although I seem to recall a few random issues appearing in that version which I may or may not have fixed), because the only other place I have it besides that computer is my old web host, who I had a "disagreement" with regarding the strictness of their storage limit (oops) and suspended my account years ago. For all I know they've deleted it by now (and it wouldn't help with finding the source).

As soon as I find the current source (some time in May at the earliest), I'll post it. Until then, we're pretty much SOL on support for new versions of OS X.

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 20 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

SpacePirate here. Apparently my old account is lost to that password bug; we'll see if the admins can figure that one out.

Until then, as Orca pointed out, we've got an old version of the source up alongside the 1.1.2 release of SpacePort on my site, shockingly still up on EVula.org. I've updated the email on my site, and will work with Orca on hosting his later versions of the source if necessary. If I did have later versions of the source, they're sitting on this hard drive I just dug up from a dusty box. Conveniently, it's giving me the click of death; so much for that idea.

As to newer versions... I don't expect it to happen. This was originally built on an ancient version of RealBASIC (not Ruby, as the .rb extension may imply), well before any of us ever thought Apple would brave an Intel switch. And unfortunately, Mach-O doesn't play too too nice with 10.6, and doesn't work at all in 10.7.

Supposedly later versions of RealBASIC support Intel builds, I'll have to look into it. Until then, though, I've got SpacePort 1.1.2 up on my site, which gives a fair approximation of EV physics, but Orca definitely did a lot of work in presenting more accurate accel and speed calculations than my guesstimates in this old version. There's a compiled version up there as well, which contains the Port Resources, which I don't believe were really updated beyond the initial version.

Feel free to email me at thebroadbandbuccaneer@gmail.com, or message me on Reddit.

Accept no substitutes, long live ev-nova.net!

- SpacePirate

This post has been edited by SpacePirate2 : 20 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

@spacepirate2, on 20 March 2012 - 09:05 PM, said in Anyone have SpacePort 1.2?:

Supposedly later versions of RealBASIC support Intel builds, I'll have to look into it.

Yes, that’s correct. MissionComputer 4 is Intel-native and packaged as a .app, and it’s built using the 2007 version of REALbasic. There are a few annoyances, including the necessary endianness conversions, and the more annoying text-encoding conversions caused by REALbasic’s switch to Unicode for internal text processing.

@david-arthur, on 21 March 2012 - 11:32 AM, said in Anyone have SpacePort 1.2?:

Yes, that’s correct. MissionComputer 4 is Intel-native and packaged as a .app, and it’s built using the 2007 version of REALbasic. There are a few annoyances, including the necessary endianness conversions, and the more annoying text-encoding conversions caused by REALbasic’s switch to Unicode for internal text processing.

Well, certainly SpacePort is a much more simple product than Mission Computer is, so hopefully they will not affect things too much. I won't even be able to attempt a new build until I get back on my Mac, so we shall see. I'll work with Bri and see if we can get some sort of SpacePort 3 released in the next year or so. 😛

I'm fairly positive the last upgrade I purchased was v2005, right before the Universal Binary support came out.

~ SP

Hey, good to hear from you both. Great to have some source up, though indeed orca made a huge number of changes and additions during my time of constantly nagging him while I was working on the EV/O ports 😉 (I was keeping track of everything in a big list at the time but that list is long gone now). Anyway, let us know when/if the current source is found and I'll see if I can help out in any way.

ahem

Well, turns out that computer was in perfectly fine condition. I was able to locate and copy off the SpacePort source fairly easily. You'll find it here.

I'm not sure how much good this will do unless someone like David wants to recompile it, or even how much interest there is at this point (especially since it only supports resource forks), but there it is. Note: if it needs any adjustments to get a newer version of REALbasic to compile it, be warned that not only will there be discrepancies between my code and Mike's, but both of us would probably cringe at our own code today. I'm just speculating; I haven't even looked at it.

Wow, I wouldn’t have thought it was even possible for REALbasic code handling EV resources to look so totally different from mine.

Having the code means at least that it can probably be rebuilt for Intel and suchlike. But I don’t know that there’s any point trying to wedge my .rez libraries into it, given that there’s no clear way that a Windows user could supply classic plug-ins as input.

Sometime I ought to get an Intel version of the Plug-in Convertor out there…

Honestly, since we still get the occasional Windows user asking how they can run EV/O plug-ins in their EV/O port in EVN, an Intel or even Windows version might not be a bad idea.