Online Resource Forks

Poll: Keep going? (6 member(s) have cast votes)
Should I keep working on this?
Yay
(3 votes [50.00%] - View)
$('l_voters_1_1').observe('click', ipb.topic.showVoters.bindAsEventListener( this, 1, 1 ) );
if( Object.isUndefined( ipb.topic.poll[ 1 ] ) ){
ipb.topic.poll[ 1 ] = [];
}

var users = "";

users += "<a href='http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?s=7f55711b67dbd5d1e5d15a003c69918f&amp;showuser=99004'>nil0bject</a> &nbsp;, ";

users += "<a href='http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?s=7f55711b67dbd5d1e5d15a003c69918f&amp;showuser=17938'>ScratSkinner</a> &nbsp;, ";

users += "<a href='http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?s=7f55711b67dbd5d1e5d15a003c69918f&amp;showuser=5846'>General Cade Smart</a> &nbsp;";

ipb.topic.poll[ 1 ][ 1 ] = { name: "Yay", users: users};

Percentage of vote: 50.00%
Nay
(3 votes [50.00%] - View)
$('l_voters_1_2').observe('click', ipb.topic.showVoters.bindAsEventListener( this, 1, 2 ) );
if( Object.isUndefined( ipb.topic.poll[ 1 ] ) ){
ipb.topic.poll[ 1 ] = [];
}

var users = "";

users += "<a href='http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?s=7f55711b67dbd5d1e5d15a003c69918f&amp;showuser=28742'>DarthKev</a> &nbsp;, ";

users += "<a href='http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?s=7f55711b67dbd5d1e5d15a003c69918f&amp;showuser=7579'>EVWeb</a> &nbsp;, ";

users += "<a href='http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?s=7f55711b67dbd5d1e5d15a003c69918f&amp;showuser=122554'>pdillon3</a> &nbsp;";

ipb.topic.poll[ 1 ][ 2 ] = { name: "Nay", users: users};

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

For those interested, I've created a way to upload resource fork data to an online web service.
http://resourceforks.herokuapp.com/

Notice I have already uploaded some override data files. The plan is to create editors for this data, which basically means you could create an escape velocity plugin online.
I have already added viewing of PICT resources:
http://resourceforks.../resources/4819

The apps to upload the data are only for OS 8 and 9 or PPC OS X. Intel mucks stuff up and I don't have time to fix.
You can download the apps here(nb. they are still a work in progress):
Classic: https://dl.dropboxus...8Classic%29.sit
OS X: https://dl.dropboxus...20%28OSX%29.sit

I'd like to know if this is something people would be interested in, so I can decide if I should keep working on it.

Thanks

This post has been edited by nil0bject : 01 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

So this basically isn't for Windows at all, nor Intel Macs? Just making sure I'm understanding properly. If I am, than your user base is going to be very small indeed. Plus, Dropbox can already support resource forks online, so that part isn't really anything new at the moment.

The final decision is yours, of course, but if I were in your position, I wouldn't waste my time on it.

I'm unclear on what purpose an online plug in editor would serve. What brought this idea on? Are you attempting to fix or improve something?

Tell us your goal... There may be a better approach!

edit: Let me backtrack a little and say that I think it's AWESOME you and others are still working on things to give to the community, even after a whole decade has passed since the release of EV:Nova. So my questions may appear rude, but they're meant to lead to constructive, helpful & encouraging feedback. 🙂 I just don't know how to communicate that.

This post has been edited by Sklent : 01 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

Some of the viewers seem a bit screen-stretchy currently. Is there going to be some way to toggle whether you see the raw code or not? What sort of functionality are you aiming for for the next .x? The next x.0?

I presume the editor(s) and viewer, being online, will be a tad more crossplatform than the uploader application currently is. Is this accurate? Also, will downloading plugs have the same issues as uploading them (ie Intel-incompatible application)? Are you sekritly planning to make an Online EV Will there be some way to test the plug online?

Also, DarthKev, is that resource fork support explicit on the part of Dropbox's devs?

@scratskinner, on 02 January 2014 - 11:50 AM, said in Online Resource Forks:

Also, DarthKev, is that resource fork support explicit on the part of Dropbox's devs?

If you're asking where I read it or where it says that on Dropbox's site, I don't know. I do know that I can put a MacNova plug-in or even a data file uncompressed into Dropbox, and it can be downloaded onto another Mac somewhere else perfectly fine. I have Legacy backed up like that right now, and AotC has been backed up on Dropbox this way for quite a while.

Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback!
I'll try to address your comments.

@darthkev, on 01 January 2014 - 05:50 PM, said in Online Resource Forks:

So this basically isn't for Windows at all, nor Intel Macs? Just making sure I'm understanding properly. If I am, than your user base is going to be very small indeed. Plus, Dropbox can already support resource forks online, so that part isn't really anything new at the moment.

- I will support Intel macs, however currently I am developing and testing this on Mac OS 9 with sheep shaver. During my initial tests with an intel build, some resources were converted into little endian, even though I forced big endian. I have to investigate if this will be the case for EV plugs.
- Windows will not be supported for this application, as the main aim was to read resource forks, which windows does not support. If I make a specific application for EV, windows will be supported. i.e.. .rsrc plugs.
- Even though dropbox will preserve resource forks, you still need an editor(ResEdit, etc) to view and edit the fork.
Thanks DarthKev

@sklent, on 01 January 2014 - 06:31 PM, said in Online Resource Forks:

I'm unclear on what purpose an online plug in editor would serve. What brought this idea on? Are you attempting to fix or improve something?

Tell us your goal... There may be a better approach!

Good point, Sklent! Don't worry, I didn't think you were being rude. All constructive criticism is welcome.
- The main goal of this project is to provide a way to preserve and recreate resource forks. I had this idea when I was setting up a classic environment with sheepshaver on linux. I had an extraordinary time trying to get a copy of stuffit expander on it, so I could uncompress some .sit files. Long story short, I managed to get it, but at the same time, being a programmer, I came up with an idea to host apps and files like this in a way so they could be easily recreated, without archiving.
- My second goal was to have an API that could send resource data to other apps. I did not have a specific idea in mind for this, but something fun could be to remake old mac games with html5(canvas, web sockets, etc), or create editors for games, e.g. EV.
- If there was an online EV plug editor, multiple people could work on a single plug at the same time any where they have internet access and a browser, and, with accounts and permissions, others could view the plugin and comment, etc.
I hope this clarifies a little more.
Thanks Sklent

@scratskinner, on 02 January 2014 - 11:50 AM, said in Online Resource Forks:

Some of the viewers seem a bit screen-stretchy currently. Is there going to be some way to toggle whether you see the raw code or not? What sort of functionality are you aiming for for the next .x? The next x.0?

I presume the editor(s) and viewer, being online, will be a tad more crossplatform than the uploader application currently is. Is this accurate? Also, will downloading plugs have the same issues as uploading them (ie Intel-incompatible application)? Are you sekritly planning to make an Online EV Will there be some way to test the plug online?

- The views are very rough at the moment. I just wanted something to show the data, but yes, they are stretchy! I will add a way to hide/show the raw data for you. I'm open to ideas, so If you have more suggestions, they're more than welcome!
- My next step was to implement a template system(like resedit templates 'TMPL'). This will basically be the structure of the data, with labels, stored in the database, and then interpreted by the web server to produce a user editable web form. For instance, a 'ship' resource will have fields for max speed, acceleration, turrets, cargo space, etc. Once the form is submitted, the resource will be updated with the new values.
- As you pointed out, being online and accessed from a browser makes this more cross platform. The only to download a resource fork plug will be with the application. If an intel mac build can download and recreate the resource fork correctly, then the application will be able to download the plugs on mac os 8, 9 and X for PPC and intel. When I get some time to thoroughly test this, I will investigate.
- Your last comment is very intriguing to me. There is nothing stopping the creation of an online EV. Even if it's just for testing ship flight, weapons, etc. If this was pursued, it would not be impossible to implement multiplayer support to some degree. Websockets and Javascript libraries like node.js would make this a fun exercise.
Thanks for the input, ScratSkinner

OK. Sounds cool. As a Windows user, would I at least be able to upload .rez files (to be converted to .bin later) and download .bins?

The only problem with an online editor is, every time you go to test it you'd have to download it, wouldn't you? I don't know about anyone else but I load my plug frequently (up to 20x/hour) to make sure it's working properly.

That being said... it'd be cool to be able to show people your progress while working on a plug without giving anything away. If you don't give anyone else the password, maybe it would just display the file name, file size and # of different resources.

I'm also thinking of creating a basic index of resources, similar to the Wiki page we have, but much more detailed. One of my biggest issues with plug development is it's difficult to recall what resource # a Polaron torpedo is, for example. If I want a ship to have PT's, I have to open a new window in EVNEW and scroll through the weap resources. (There's no search function like in MC)

My list would be alphabetized (or organized somehow) and display the ID#, mass, tech level, requirements, bits set/bits required, and any other pertinent information I can think of. The EV Bible also leaves some things unclear, I've found. An appendix may help some if they're trying to do something precise.

I just don't know if there would be a want/need for this exactly, but if you beleive that there IS maybe it's something I could contribute.

@sklent, on 06 January 2014 - 08:47 AM, said in Online Resource Forks:

OK. Sounds cool. As a Windows user, would I at least be able to upload .rez files (to be converted to .bin later) and download .bins?

I would make a new site for that purpose, as this one is for for resource forks only. I've actually been looking into the source code for rezEditor and I think I could port that to ruby. I never really got into plug editing for Nova, so I don't really know about rez to bin conversions.

The only problem with an online editor is, every time you go to test it you'd have to download it, wouldn't you? I don't know about anyone else but I load my plug frequently (up to 20x/hour) to make sure it's working properly.

That's a good point. I'd say a javascript based testing environment would be very helpful there.

That being said... it'd be cool to be able to show people your progress while working on a plug without giving anything away. If you don't give anyone else the password, maybe it would just display the file name, file size and # of different resources.

Yep, that's what I was thinking. It's not difficult to add user accounts with permissions to edit/view/download.

I'm also thinking of creating a basic index of resources, similar to the Wiki page we have, but much more detailed. One of my biggest issues with plug development is it's difficult to recall what resource # a Polaron torpedo is, for example. If I want a ship to have PT's, I have to open a new window in EVNEW and scroll through the weap resources. (There's no search function like in MC)

My list would be alphabetized (or organized somehow) and display the ID#, mass, tech level, requirements, bits set/bits required, and any other pertinent information I can think of. The EV Bible also leaves some things unclear, I've found. An appendix may help some if they're trying to do something precise.

I just don't know if there would be a want/need for this exactly, but if you beleive that there IS maybe it's something I could contribute.

I'm not sure how much need there is for something like this, but, to me, that's not really an issue. I just like the idea of supporting one of the best mac games ever made and one of the best mac software developer companies.
Your idea sounds great and would tie in well with what I have planned. If I implement the ability to upload rez files and parse the resources, then there's your index. Then you can add extra information and details to each resource.
I'll try to have a crack at it this weekend and get something online for you to have a look at. Then if you can input formatting and design changes, it should turn into something useful to the community.

I'll let you know how I go.