Legacy TC Status Thread

@waladil, on 19 July 2011 - 02:46 AM, said in Legacy TC Status Thread:

<offer to help>

Thanks, but I think I've got writing covered for the moment. I'll keep you in mind, however, if I ever need an extra writer.

Regarding my Askan carrier idea: On the off chance you decide to use it, I've even come up with a name for it just now: Zanbato -class.

At first glance the 'Zanbato' sounds like it would be a better fit for an anti-warship fighter or bomber. But after reading the article in full, the Zanbato is surrounded with just enough mystery befitting a legendary warship. If I happen to make a carrier for Askan (still unlikely) I think I'll use that name. Nice find!

@darthkev, on 19 July 2011 - 12:41 PM, said in Legacy TC Status Thread:

At first glance the 'Zanbato' sounds like it would be a better fit for an anti-warship fighter or bomber. But after reading the article in full, the Zanbato is surrounded with just enough mystery befitting a legendary warship. If I happen to make a carrier for Askan (still unlikely) I think I'll use that name. Nice find!

Glad you like it. First place I saw it was where it appeared as the signature weapon of Sagara Sanosuke in the manga series Rurouni Kenshin by Nobuhiro Watsuki. That series isn't not as well known these days as the likes of Naruto , but it's a better manga in my opinion. 28 volumes of historical detail, flashy swordplay in the truest manga tradition, and a touch of romantic comedy.

Ok, better stop before I start to sound like a Viz Media sales clerk. :laugh:

@starsword, on 19 July 2011 - 09:25 PM, said in Legacy TC Status Thread:

<Rurouni Kenshin shout-out>

Oh, I know Kenshin. I haven't seen/read the whole series, but I know the premise. The one thing I don't like is Kenshin's 'catch phrase' in the Americanized version. You know, when he says things like, "He's a skilled swordsman, that he is," or, "I am Rurouni Kenshin, that I am," several times in every episode. Gets a little annoying after a while. In the comedic moments, sure. But when he says it during serious fight scenes... it just doesn't fit.

I've never seen the anime, actually. He doesn't do that in the manga (sounds like Viz butchered the translation of the anime). Closest thing to that is where he says "Oro", which depending on the context can either mean "Huh?" or "Good grief."

Change of subject. I was looking back through the thread and ran across a reference to the Onli freighter, the Vache. I immediately thought of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

@starsword, on 20 July 2011 - 08:30 AM, said in Legacy TC Status Thread:

Change of subject. I was looking back through the thread and ran across a reference to the Onli freighter, the Vache. I immediately thought of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Now, what made you think of that?

In other news, the ELX models are done. The images of the new vessels are in the gallery currently alongside the old ones. I'll post them here momentarily.

Edit: Okay, here they are! In link form, of course, so they don't turn this into a massive post. 😉

ELX Uranus shuttle
ELX Deimos interceptor
ELX Phobos interdictor
ELX Neptune corvette
ELX Mercury courier
ELX Venus freighter
ELX Mars missile cruiser
ELX Pluto cruiser
ELX Jupiter battleship

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 20 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

@darthkev, on 20 July 2011 - 11:21 AM, said in Legacy TC Status Thread:

Now, what made you think of that?

The "French castle" scene. About halfway through that sequence, Arthur says "Now this is your last chance! I've been more than reasonable!" One of the French knights whispers to the guy next to him, "Fetch-e la vache!" Vache (as you probably know) is French for cow, and the French proceed to catapult a cow over the castle walls and onto one of the squires.

In other news, the ELX models are done. The images of the new vessels are in the gallery currently alongside the old ones. I'll post them here momentarily.

Edit: Okay, here they are! In link form, of course, so they don't turn this into a massive post.

Very cool. I like the Neptune particularly.

@darthkev, on 20 July 2011 - 11:21 AM, said in Legacy TC Status Thread:

In other news, the ELX models are done...

KEWL!!!
Those ships all to my eyes have a very (Star Trek) Federation look about them. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Very nice work.

@starsword, on 20 July 2011 - 12:55 PM, said in Legacy TC Status Thread:

The "French castle" scene. About halfway through that sequence, Arthur says "Now this is your last chance! I've been more than reasonable!" One of the French knights whispers to the guy next to him, "Fetch-e la vache!" Vache (as you probably know) is French for cow, and the French proceed to catapult a cow over the castle walls and onto one of the squires.

I figured as much. Just wanted to make sure, though, as it's been a while since I last saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and wasn't sure whether it was a cow or something else they flung. I do remember them flinging the wooden pig, though... I think it was a pig...

Very cool. I like the Neptune particularly.

Yeah, the Intrepid class is my favorite ship from Star Trek, too. 😄

@joe-burnette, on 20 July 2011 - 03:00 PM, said in Legacy TC Status Thread:

KEWL!!!
Those ships all to my eyes have a very (Star Trek) Federation look about them. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Very nice work.

Thanks! The resemblance is intentional. I also have a line of ships based on Star Wars designs. You can find almost everything I've made so far in the gallery which is linked in my signature and the first post of this thread.

It was a rabbit. The creature made of wood was a rabbit.
Next on the docket was a large wooden badger. Shame on you for not knowing every intricacy of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Next you'll be telling me you can't do the entire cheese-shop skit by heart like all the self-respecting nerds in the room. (The punchline here is that I used the phrase "self-respecting nerd")

@waladil, on 21 July 2011 - 10:10 AM, said in Legacy TC Status Thread:

Next you'll be telling me you can't do the entire cheese-shop skit by heart like all the self-respecting nerds in the room.

Never saw that one.

Ditto. I apologize, waladil, but I am regretfully not as British as I would like to be. 😞

Blame it on being born and raised in California.

And being raised in the States is no excuse for not having every infinitesimal detail of every single last Monty Python skit ever written. Having friends and a social life, on the other hand, is a perfectly good excuse.

@waladil, on 21 July 2011 - 09:20 PM, said in Legacy TC Status Thread:

And being raised in the States is no excuse for not having every infinitesimal detail of every single last Monty Python skit ever written. Having friends and a social life, on the other hand, is a perfectly good excuse.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!(/off topic)

This post has been edited by Meaker VI : 22 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

Due to inadvertent popular demand, I am changing the name of this TC. From here on out it will be known simply as Legacy.

Edit: I've also updated the 'Harmony' image I posted two pages back to feature the new ELX Deimos model. It fits my tiny 1280x800 screen, but I understand most people have larger screens. If anyone wants a larger copy, let me know and I'll whip one up. In fact, if anyone want similar images of other ships from Legacy TC, I can set those up, too.

This post has been edited by DarthKev : 23 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

@darthkev, on 23 July 2011 - 12:26 PM, said in Legacy TC Status Thread:

Due to inadvertent popular demand, I am changing the name of this TC. From here on out it will be known simply as Legacy.

Um, one question: whose demand?

@starsword, on 23 July 2011 - 11:02 PM, said in Legacy TC Status Thread:

Um, one question: whose demand?

Theirs. Like I said, inadvertent.

Looking at the new subtitle of this thread, I'm reminded of the "Knights Who 'Til Recently Said Ni." (Except they went from a less complicated name to a more complicated one.)

Frankly, I don't know where the guys on that thread were getting "Zerg plug" from.

@starsword, on 24 July 2011 - 01:19 PM, said in Legacy TC Status Thread:

Looking at the new subtitle of this thread, I'm reminded of the "Knights Who 'Til Recently Said Ni." (Except they went from a less complicated name to a more complicated one.)

Actually, it's supposed to be a reference to Prince, aka The Artist Formerly Known as Prince. 😄

Frankly, I don't know where the guys on that thread were getting "Zerg plug" from.

There's an expansion pack for StarCraft called Heart of the Swarm. Thus HotS.