Back in the day...

i feel like an old man

So, back in the day, when i used to fiddle with ev and nova and do plug in stuff...

i actually could. because i could find the file. and the program wasn't a self contained app. you remember, back when s### DIDN'T LOOK LIKE IT WAS ON A ######ING IPHONE.

yes yes, i'm sure, i could search and find these answers, but that would require the search feature to be intuitive on the forums, which it is not anymore.

so, now, my questions:

1. how do i drop a plug in into nova in 10.7.3?
  2. how do i get mission computer to open the original resources in nova (ie, all the old data files) from the mission computer 4.2.1 "open" menu in 10.7.3 (i realize, i could show package contents, and open it via that way, but i want to open it from the mission computer menu option, because the other way is a pain in the ass)

and the best question, for last:

1. why the ######ing change? s### was easier before. now i feel like an old man.

This post has been edited by antihero : 12 June 2012 - 01:50 AM

ok, now i'm really kinda pissed off.

so, from what i gather, i now have to go to my library folder inside my user folder, go to application support, and then ######ing drop the plug in in there. great, fine, ok. good use of os x. however, in 10.7, the library folder is invisible. so now i have to make it un invisible just to do that?

and what about using it for other users, i'd have to go through twice the steps just to ######ing do that?

s### is garbage. why can't we go back to the ######ing days when you could, i don't know, drop it into the folder inside the game folder? it's not like it's on an ios device here...

so yes, in other words, i answered question 1. now i need to answer question 2

no wonder this s### is vaporware, damn near. it went from intuitive to ######ing impossible for the average user.

This post has been edited by antihero : 12 June 2012 - 01:26 AM

computer stats are mac mini running 10.7.4 (oooh, upgrade!)

nova doesn't say, but i think it's 1.1 (says "Application (universal)" released december 6, 2011, but doesn't give a version number)

mission computer is 4.2.1

when using the "open" button in mission computer:

Posted Image

and i select the evnova.app, it hangs and i get:

Posted Image

clicking try again is an endless cycle of that, clicking cancel plays a sound and i get:

Posted Image

clicking ok:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by antihero : 12 June 2012 - 01:51 AM

First, you are old, antihero. Stop complaining about it. Second, this isn't the BnB. Please watch the language. And finally, to get at the stock data files for EVN, you need to right-click on the application itself and go to 'Show Package Contents'. I'm pretty sure you can figure it out from there.

"now in my younger days i used to sport a saaaaaaag-
when i went to school i carried lunch in a bag
with an apple for my teacher so i knew i'd get a kiss
always got mad when the the class was dismissed."

we are all getting old anti.

edit: except the few spring chickens that are kicking around.

This post has been edited by daowei : 12 June 2012 - 03:20 AM

@darthkev, on 12 June 2012 - 02:18 AM, said in Back in the day...:

First, you are old, antihero. Stop complaining about it. Second, this isn't the BnB. Please watch the language. And finally, to get at the stock data files for EVN, you need to right-click on the application itself and go to 'Show Package Contents'. I'm pretty sure you can figure it out from there.

@antihero, on 12 June 2012 - 01:12 AM, said in Back in the day...:

1. how do i get mission computer to open the original resources in nova (ie, all the old data files) from the mission computer 4.2.1 "open" menu in 10.7.3 (i realize, i could show package contents, and open it via that way, but i want to open it from the mission computer menu option, because the other way is a pain in the ass)

for further, it's easier to open the file from mission computer, at least it was in the old days when nova had file folders and the like, because then i don't have to actually find the applications folder and scroll through 70 apps to get to it, then show package contents and the like. it was simple, click "open" rather than dig through stuff i shouldn't be digging through (the library folder in the user folder is another similar issue. i shouldn't have to dig through that folder, period. there's a reason it's hidden)

i also see the language filter still works, so your second point is...? people will get offended by hash marks? don't look at a phone, then.

This post has been edited by antihero : 12 June 2012 - 04:27 AM

If the game is installed in your Applications folder, its data files should automatically appear in MissionComputer’s File > Open Special menu. And I’m told that the easiest way to reach the Library in 10.7 is to hold down Option while in the Finder’s Go menu.

I’ll give MissionComputer a better error message when you try to make it open a folder, and I’m doubtful about the benefits of hiding the Library, but none of this has anything to do with phones. Rather, EV Nova has finally adopted conventions that have been in place for as long as there’s been a Mac OS X (or, for that matter, a NeXTSTEP). You can accuse a NeXTcube of many things, but looking like a phone isn't one of them.

Command-Shift-G in the Finder brings up a sheet that lets you type in a path. Shove ~/Library in there.

It's a handy shortcut to know.