Into the Void TC

Lore Section:

This is one of many posts still in the works jotting down what ive done so far for lore.. they are incomplete and will be updated/edited as time progresses:

Tech race 1 (incorporating japanese/chinese naming)
Name: Nakama
General Description: A conglomeration of corporation states under the rule of the best corporation. IE auroran houses under the rule of the empire but still at war with one another to promote a survival of the fittest mentality. Also purposely done for population control and asset control. (they dont want any of the corporations to become to powerful as to replace the ruling Corporation. These guys are cold and detached business men not per say a warrior culture.

Original notebook writing:
A detached conglomerate of imperially controlled corporations.

On a world similar to earth in a rather stunning region of space what with the Ika Nebula (translated into basic as Radiant Fire for its crimson red and swirls of clementine orange) which is located only 74 au away from there homeworld.

A race of humanoids, imposing men standing at 6 to 7 feet tall with a heavy frame, had established a city state empire across their world. There governments where merely puppets controlled by the ruthless CEO's of the various weapons manufacturers scattered across the land each of which vied for higher sales and growth.
One fateful day a starship descended from the skies in the name of peace to make contact with this young race which had at the time recently begun colonization of there home system.

They envied this hyperspace technology and orchestrated the takeover of there ship by holding the members of her crew hostage forcing out its occupants. They then shlepped off these aliens to bio study facilities that inflicted them with immense pain tests and chemical experiments. Seizing the starship they dismantled it and reverse engineered her technology pushing them forward almost half a century worth of research development. Using this new found equipment they encroached across the stars. With the governments being dismantled in a final world war and a new world order established under the sovereignty of the Hoshiyo (Generation of the Star Ie The Board Members under the Ruler) and its current ruling families of which the Kyokusai Family have gained a significant leverage over all the others.

The Hoshiyo has decided that the only way to prune out the weak and promote strength is by way of pitting the imperial corporations against each other and by aggressive expansion outwards. Morality thrown aside high production high profits are the order of the day. Slavery is compeletly legal and in some instances used to pay off vast debts which happens often since the cost of living is high. Slavery is even seen as a form of entry level position to the major corporations since debts can be payed off and personal growth can be achieved. There cold and detached but not overlords.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tech race 3 (incorporating middle eastern naming as its linguistical base with slight spelling modifications to avoid flak from religious people... not trying to piss anyone off lol)

Umma-ri pronounced ooh-maar-ee

Physical description:
Ancient Umma-ri
The Elders are shorter with stockier frames, lighter skins and generally
dress in royal robes. They have fallen much from there once humble origins.
They have become in bed with there masters the Nakama sacrificing the heaven in there books for the pleasures/wealth that the Nakama offer. They now twist and pervert the holy books to keep the masses subjugated.
A few have joined the revolt and have become truly powerful masters of there book enlightening and teaching the populace with the true doctrines.

Standard Umma-ri
Humanoid like with slightly pointed ears, taller slim frame, dark- tan skin
due to there preference for desert worlds. (there homeworld is desert like
with paradise oasis's) They rebelled against the Nakama and now must wage a war to convert those who are still influenced by the corrupt Elders and free there brethren from slavery.
Some are still loyal to the Nakama either by choice or manipulation (willingly or unwillingly)

Life span: long lived 240 years + natural they tend to avoid advanced life
expanding medicine citing the passage "... and be proud that the
preciousness of life has been bestowed upon you! Fear not the mortality of
man, for with acceptance of ones fate comes peace. Peace of mind with which
to be free from the shackles of oppression. Death is an inevitability so be
not afraid to stand against the demons who use destruction to enslave.."

On a desert world tucked away in the pocket system of Rabia, lies a desert
planet called Cemca. Around the Umma-ri's earliest recorded history...
(Editors Note: To be completed at a future date)

This post has been edited by Sleipnir : 12 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

Q & A Section

Q: Can a Hangar/Shipyard to store ships an outfits be created?
A: Templar98921: I'm given to understand that actually doing this requires a lot of effort. Like, a hell of a lot.

Check this thread, though I'm pretty sure there's a better thread out there, I just can't find it.
Hangar Thread

Q: question is there a way to link music to start at certain mission strings?
A: LNSU: You may be interested in these two topics:
Thread Link 1
Thread Link 2

Q: How to setup Defensive "Satellites"
A: DarthKev: Well, one way to make defense satellites is the way EVN did it, with spöbs armed with weapons. You could setup maybe three satellites around a planet with some light weapons with a quick reload and give the planet a large gun. Or arm the satellites with large guns and give the planet short-range missiles. That would be the simplest and easiest, IMO.

However, spöb satellites can't be destroyed without a planet-type weapon for the player, and you sound like you want destructible satellites. For this, I refer you to Realm of Prey. The Faction had defense satellites deployed at a few of their outposts and stations, and at least one mission that I remember had several deployed in a Confederate system and tasked the player to destroy them. This was done with a single shïp resource with a fast turn speed, high acceleration, but very little top speed. Just put them in a düde and place that düde in a system, and they'll appear like normal ships in the system and more will also jump in and slowly make their way to the station. They won't be completely immobile, but it works.

Q: Can a spob have more then 1 weapon?
A: Templar98921: A single spob cannot have more than one weapon
DarthKev: But you could put multiple spöbs in the same spot with the same graphic, one for each weapon you want the satellite to have. It takes up extra spöb resources, but it does simulate the effect.

Q: Planetary Weapons/Ships an AI
A: DarthKev: Just be aware that AI ships don't use planet-type weapons unless they're part of a mission and their behavior is set to attack enemy spöbs.

Q: Can AI use planetary weapons against planetary ships?
A: Sleipnir: Planetary ship weapons vs planetary ships and there AI's dont work. Oddly enough player launched fighters with anti-planet weapons do work...

Q: Is there an actual resource item named afterburner where I can modify the %speed boost increase and where would it be found? If not can they be stacked?

This post has been edited by Sleipnir : 12 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

@sleipnir, on 12 February 2011 - 05:46 PM, said in Into the Void TC:

Q: Is there an actual resource item named afterburner where I can modify the %speed boost increase and where would it be found? If not can they be stacked?

This is a question still lol

@sleipnir, on 12 February 2011 - 05:46 PM, said in Into the Void TC:

Q: Can a spob have more then 1 weapon?
A: Templar98921: A single spob cannot have more than one weapon
DarthKev: But you could put multiple spöbs in the same spot with the same graphic, one for each weapon you want the satellite to have. It takes up extra spöb resources, but it does simulate the effect.

Alternatively, use invisible spobs for the extra weapons. That way placement doesn't have to be 100% precise and you could even have multiple exit points.

No, but you can edit the amount of fuel it consumes in its outfit resource. Don't know what the effects are if you get multiple afterburners with difficult fuel consumptions. I'd assume either highest or lowest resource value gets used or the one with the smallest consumption.

@joshtigerheart, on 13 February 2011 - 12:40 AM, said in Into the Void TC:

No, but you can edit the amount of fuel it consumes in its outfit resource. Don't know what the effects are if you get multiple afterburners with difficult fuel consumptions. I'd assume either highest or lowest resource value gets used or the one with the smallest consumption.

really not worried about the fuel consumption rate, its the % speed increase when activating the afterburner that I wanna adjust.

Since ships are gonna be a bit specialized IE sniper and close range, with tackler support ships, I noticed a potential problem with players simply amassing a sniper fleet and just staying out of range of everything. So to compensate I want the support ships to be able to zip towards the sniper lines and immobilize them, well give them a better chance of catching them at least.
However the whole speed issue comes to play. Simply having items that increase base speed could cause more issues then solving them, Ie super fast sniper ships. I guess ill test multiple afterburners an hope that it gives a super boost of speed and lower fuel consumption to compensate.

This post has been edited by Sleipnir : 13 February 2011 - 02:15 AM

Simply use contribute and require bits to prevent "sniper" ships from using outfits you only want "tacklers" to use. It's perfectly possible to prevent the long-ranged vessels from taking afterburners and speed boosting outfits. If you're wanting ships to be generally customizable between the two extremes, then you can do it on a per-outfit basis using NCBs. For example, buying the Sniper Gun sets b1 and selling it sets !b1. All speed boosters require !b1. If you do this, make sure buying a new ship sets everything to the proper NCBs, otherwise things might get screwy.

There's also the much simpler method of long-range weaponry giving you speed and maneuverability penalties.

@joshtigerheart, on 13 February 2011 - 03:10 AM, said in Into the Void TC:

Simply use contribute and require bits to prevent "sniper" ships from using outfits you only want "tacklers" to use. It's perfectly possible to prevent the long-ranged vessels from taking afterburners and speed boosting outfits. If you're wanting ships to be generally customizable between the two extremes, then you can do it on a per-outfit basis using NCBs. For example, buying the Sniper Gun sets b1 and selling it sets !b1. All speed boosters require !b1. If you do this, make sure buying a new ship sets everything to the proper NCBs, otherwise things might get screwy.

There's also the much simpler method of long-range weaponry giving you speed and maneuverability penalties.

sounds workable back to tinkering! Nice archon avatar btw lol brings back old memories

This post has been edited by Sleipnir : 13 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

question: Does anyone know if there are any fraps youtube how to videos available?

@sleipnir, on 16 February 2011 - 11:31 PM, said in Into the Void TC:

question: Does anyone know if there are any fraps youtube how to videos available?

I don't understand the question. Do you want to record something off youtube, or upload something you recorded using FRAPS to youtube, or looking for some tutorial on how to use FRAPS itself?

Recording something off youtube:

1. Start FRAPS
  2. Open the youtube video in fullscreen mode, maximum quality
  3. Hit record on FRAPS, then hit play on the youtube video. Stop recording at the end of the video.

Uploading stuff from FRAPS to youtube:

1. Read this page: http://www.fraps.com/faq.php#videocap
  2. Follow the instructions about compressing with VirtualDUB. I recommend XviD personally, but your preference may vary. I also use Final Cut Pro, not VDub, but that's just me.
  3. Upload the compressed file to youtube.

Note: There are other (free) ways of getting video off youtube, so it may not be worthwhile shelling out for FRAPS if its all you need it for.

This post has been edited by LNSU : 16 February 2011 - 11:40 PM

If you're after Fraps tuts, a cusory search reveals: and

I guess I should have specified my question.. sigh 2am does that to my brain. No what I was asking is if there where any Mission Computer related Video tutorials on "How To" do things with the Mission Editor. If not I was gonna start making some basic ones whenever my new computer comes in : /. Ive been relegated to an old g4 with 128mb of ram (stock) lol good god is it slow.... better then the Imac though

This post has been edited by Sleipnir : 17 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

@sleipnir, on 17 February 2011 - 12:06 PM, said in Into the Void TC:

I guess I should have specified my question.. sigh 2am does that to my brain. No what I was asking is if there where any Mission Computer related Video tutorials on "How To" do things with the Mission Editor. If not I was gonna start making some basic ones whenever my new computer comes in : /. Ive been relegated to an old g4 with 128mb of ram (stock) lol good god is it slow.... better then the Imac though

Um... MissionComputer is pretty straightforward, if you have any questions just ask. Its not a complex enough program you need any tutorials on how to use it other than reading the Nova Bible and experimenting with what does what.

About 90% of my vast knowledge of nova plugs comes from messing around with the stock campaign for fun, giving myself uberweapons and such, or some sort of cool ship behaviour, etc. Mess around, make mistakes, you'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

This post has been edited by LNSU : 17 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

I guess for people who have used ev nova for awhile might not find it complex. However for people like myself its a bit daunting. I do enjoy Qaanol's posts but quite frankly I have no clue what hes saying half the time (my math sucks) and Ib1(3a/M) means very little to me unless I tinker with it enough to say oOOoo thats what that means. So for newer people it might be far more efficient an effective to give them the leg up of showing them how to do things as opposed to Bible speak.

On a different topic im reaching the point of being able to showcase what I have so far. Theres still quite a bit left but Ill need help on fine tuning combat with the ships/weapons I have for the moment. Any volunteers? 😛

Time to get busy some more on this tc!
Bowl of Ramen: Check
My gf Mary Jane: Check
Epic playlist: Check
Epic Playlist!

This post has been edited by Sleipnir : 17 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

I don't understand Qaanol half the time either when he starts talking about his crazy plug-in ideas, so don't let that deter you. Granted, I never got my head much around crons to begin with. Looking at the Nova Files/other plugs and tinkering around with copies of them will give you a pretty good idea of how it all works. You can also refer to the pop-up tool tips and Mission Computer's help menu. The only time I ever found myself asking questions was back when I had to use EVNew, Mission Computer usually explains it and puts it in a straight forward enough manner I was able to understand it with a little time to messing around.

ok first loadup screen it does the load bar but then it says spin resource failed to load an crashes... what did I forget?

I'd say you forgot either a spïn resource or a shän resource. Without more information I can't tell you any more than that.

@darthkev, on 18 February 2011 - 09:40 AM, said in Into the Void TC:

I'd say you forgot either a spïn resource or a shän resource. Without more information I can't tell you any more than that.

Error Loading spin resurce from PICT
Resource ID: 132
Code: Resource not found

So I tried to create a spin resource for it and still nothing. From the PICT ID its the keys picture
I tried digging threw ev nova files for a matching spin ID but still no go.

:duh: My mistake. You have a spïn resource or shän resource pointing to an rlëD or PICT that's not there. The spïn or shän in question should be ID 132.

@darthkev, on 18 February 2011 - 04:06 PM, said in Into the Void TC:

:duh: My mistake. You have a spïn resource or shän resource pointing to an rlëD or PICT that's not there. The spïn or shän in question should be ID 132.

Well I came across some spins that keep switching over to a rled even though the PICT in question is what it should be on. Every time I correct it keeps switching back. Should I just create a matching rled instead of a PICT?

spïn resources don't actually specify whether the graphic is an rlëD or a PICT; instead, the engine looks for a PICT only if the rlëD isn’t found. The rlëD/PICT buttons found in MissionComputer (and possibly other editors, I don't know) are just instructions to the editor, and aren't saved to the actual resource

PICT support is also patchy, so it’s best to stick to rlëD for sprite graphics.