How do these ships look?

Some people are well aware that I plan on making a plug (again no promises) that will utilize all hand drawn art. I have even posted three maybe four ships on my previous topic. Well... now I have two more and I wanted to know how everyone thought about them. They are an alien type 135 carrier and a federation destroyer, please don't make me point out which is which. The former looks to me like someone with an eating disorder threw up all over it, and the latter just looks retarded. I will redraw the destroyer because frankly I feel that I've disappointed myself with it. Also if anyone needs some sort of comparison I've sketched up some of the other alien ships like fighters and other miscellaneous capitol ships and I could attach them hear too.

Attached File(s)

I like the Destroyer, it's simple but commanding. While I agree the alien ship could use some work, it really isn't that bad. I suggest switching the two shades of grey. Where the ship is light grey switch to dark grey and vice-versa. I think it might be a step in the right direction.

I'd really like to see what else you've come up with.

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Aug 21 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the Destroyer, it's simple but commanding. While I agree the alien ship could use some work, it really isn't that bad. I suggest switching the two shades of grey. Where the ship is light grey switch to dark grey and vice-versa. I think it might be a step in the right direction.

I'd really like to see what else you've come up with.

I've tried switching out the grays and I just don't like the results, maybe if I keep playing around with it I'll get something I like. Also while I will agree with you the destroyer is simple but commanding my main problems are 1. it looks just like another federation vessel which I drew first 2. the guns on the side are supposed to be giant lasers normally mounted on carriers and cruisers, and I've tested it out in Nova and it is very hard to aim them at everything else (imagine flying a thunderhead if the lances were spread pretty far apart).

highly phallic

QUOTE (Edwin| @ Aug 21 2010, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

highly phallic

Your point being?

QUOTE (ReclusiveOne @ Aug 21 2010, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've tried switching out the grays and I just don't like the results, maybe if I keep playing around with it I'll get something I like. Also while I will agree with you the destroyer is simple but commanding my main problems are 1. it looks just like another federation vessel which I drew first 2. the guns on the side are supposed to be giant lasers normally mounted on carriers and cruisers, and I've tested it out in Nova and it is very hard to aim them at everything else (imagine flying a thunderhead if the lances were spread pretty far apart).

First, the alien carrier. Perhaps the level of detail is too high? I suggested switching the greys because the darker grey you use for detail seemed to be in more places than the lighter grey you use for the hull. That color scheme works for the Destroyer and the other ships you posted because they don't have as much detail. On the alien carrier, though, it's hard to tell what's supposed to be detail and what's basic hull. I also suggest making the pods on each wing one solid color, maybe with a second color for detail. Just not checkerboard, it's distracting and clashes with the rest of the ship. Same for the rear.

As far as the Destroyer goes, I don't see a problem with beams being far apart. That's always given me a better chance to hit my target because it's a wider area of fire. That's actually why one of my favorite things to do in EVN is grab a Thunderhead and slap on a pair of BRLs. Instant long-range-death-fighter. Putting them further apart would just aid my fighting style as I'd be able to hit two ships at once without needing them to be close enough together. I suppose looking like another ship could be a bit of a problem, but then all you need to do is add something or take something away.

QUOTE (ReclusiveOne @ Aug 21 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your point being?

I think he means he likes it. 😛

I see what you mean about the level of detail and all, but the dark shade of gray is supposed to be additional armor plating to protect essential sensors and other electronic equipment, the light gray is just the hull and all the red is just paint.