Strange glitch...

ships of certain govts ignore 'beg for mercy' or 'request

There are lots of times when I'm playing a total conversion or add on like polycon, and either I'm attacked by a pirate or my ship runs out of juice in the middle of nowhere. When I hail a ship that has a certain govt resource it doesn't respond when I click 'request assistance' or 'beg for mercy'. Literally nothing happens no matter how much I mash that stupid button, and I don't if I'm the only one who has seen this glitch or no one else figured it would be a good idea to post this, and god forbid I look like a retard for talking about something that was already posted. For any of you who haven't had this happen to you, I think it goes without saying that it's frustrating as hell!

This only seems to affect plug ins not the original nova(maybe the dechtakers have communications disabled for a reason...). Even when I made my first plug in when I found what evnew was and what it was for, and all the ships I added suffered the same problem. If anyone knows how to remedy this please please tell me.

QUOTE (ReclusiveOne @ Aug 1 2010, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are lots of times when I'm playing a total conversion or add on like polycon, and either I'm attacked by a pirate or my ship runs out of juice in the middle of nowhere. When I hail a ship that has a certain govt resource it doesn't respond when I click 'request assistance' or 'beg for mercy'. Literally nothing happens no matter how much I mash that stupid button, and I don't if I'm the only one who has seen this glitch or no one else figured it would be a good idea to post this, and god forbid I look like a retard for talking about something that was already posted. For any of you who haven't had this happen to you, I think it goes without saying that it's frustrating as hell!

This only seems to affect plug ins not the original nova(maybe the dechtakers have communications disabled for a reason...). Even when I made my first plug in when I found what evnew was and what it was for, and all the ships I added suffered the same problem. If anyone knows how to remedy this please please tell me.

If the govt is set to not send distress signals, then for some reason it will not respond to distress signals from the player.

QUOTE (EVWeb @ Aug 1 2010, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the govt is set to not send distress signals, then for some reason it will not respond to distress signals from the player.

That's strange but thank you. Knowing that will really come in handy.

Now I'm curious. What causes other governments like Feds and Polaris to respond to player distress signals but not send distress signals themselves? Something to do with the inherent AI of their ships?

I was thinking about that too

Screen1.png is of the main federation govt in standard, totally unmodified (not including a variants plug in), original EV Nova which works

Screen2.png is of the main Pirate govt in Polycon EV (also unmodified) which clearly has the 'doesn't send distress signals' button checked so maybe it isn't a glitch after all

I figured it just was one because experimental govts I made didn't have this flag checked and still wouldn't respond to distress signals. I just hope Anubis intended the pirates behave that way even though it just adds artificial difficulty

but uhh...

Now I'm curious. What causes other governments like Feds and Polaris to respond to player distress signals but not send distress signals themselves? Something to do with the inherent AI of their ships?

maybe they do something weird with the govt classes. I'll have to look more at standard EV Nova's govts. I sure hope these picture attachments work.

Attached File(s)

I don't recall receiving help from Polaris ships at all.

I think the "doesn't respond to greetings" is they key part of that option. These people simply won't talk to you as I'm fairly sure this is the same flag that makes them say "No response on this channel" and the like. Not giving assistance may or may not be a side-effect glitch, as I think all the govts in stock Nova that use that flag also use "no request assistance/beg for mercy button".

I think the ship's A.I. determines whether they actually send distress signals or not. I wrote custom distress signals for Colosseum's NPC fighters to have them send taunts and such, but they do not ever send them. I never tested it, but I speculate the ship/dude/fleet/whatever needs to be using Wimpy or Brave Trader to send distress signals. All the ships in Colosseum use either Interceptor or Warship A.I.

This post has been edited by JoshTigerheart : 01 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (JoshTigerheart @ Aug 2 2010, 03:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the "doesn't respond to greetings" is they key part of that option. These people simply won't talk to you as I'm fairly sure this is the same flag that makes them say "No response on this channel" and the like. Not giving assistance may or may not be a side-effect glitch, as I think all the govts in stock Nova that use that flag also use "no request assistance/beg for mercy button".

No, the flag that removes those options is the 'No request assistance/Beg for Mercy'. If a ship with a govt with this flag on is hailed it's like hailing a krypt pod or a dechtakar. I double checked every single govt resource in stock nova (all 68) and the only ones set to use the 'Doesn't send distress signals' flag are the aliens (krypt and wraith), the cargo drones and for some reason the hyper gates. All of them except the ladder also use the 'No request assistance/Beg for Mercy' and those flags are supposed to be used together. That still leaves one question, why does the 'Doesn't send distress signals' flag stop the AI from providing assistance to you or allowing you to beg for mercy? Maybe I should check the EVN bible.

Nova Bible: Govt:
0x0200 Warships will take bribes.
0x2000 Freighters will take bribes.
0x4000 Planets of this govt will take bribes

I do believe that those flags are your problem. If the ships won't take bribes, they won't relent in attacking you or provide assistance, although the option will remain there.

It's not a bug, it's a feature! Some developers don't think about players needing assistance, or don't care, or think it makes the game better. EVC was actually that way, you could easily get stuck in the middle of nowhere without fuel, and no ships would come by or no one would help you. Or you'd get disabled and you couldn't get repaired (not an option back then).

This post has been edited by Meaker VI : 02 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (Meaker VI @ Aug 2 2010, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do believe that those flags are your problem. If the ships won't take bribes, they won't relent in attacking you or provide assistance, although the option will remain there.

It's not a bug, it's a feature! Some developers don't think about players needing assistance, or don't care, or think it makes the game better. EVC was actually that way, you could easily get stuck in the middle of nowhere without fuel, and no ships would come by or no one would help you. Or you'd get disabled and you couldn't get repaired (not an option back then).

No, the 'bug' is that setting the 'doesn't respond to greetings' makes it so that when you hail a hostile ship and click the beg for mercy button nothing happens. Nothing. They don't tell you to go away or to "stop insulting" them as if the 'warships will take bribes' flag was off. They also don't respond when you click request assistance. If anyone wanted to make hostile ships mercilessly destroy the player if they do one thing wrong they could just leave the 'warships will take bribes' flag off.