Problems with PICTs in MC

Every time I try to import a 612x285 landing graphic into the 10000 series of picts, it automatically resizes to a 146x68 size graphic, no matter what the file type is. Considering I have about ten hours invested in this graphic, I'm pretty ticked off about this, especially considering this has never happened to me before. Any ideas?

QUOTE (Shlimazel @ Mar 9 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Every time I try to import a 612x285 landing graphic into the 10000 series of picts, it automatically resizes to a 146x68 size graphic, no matter what the file type is. Considering I have about ten hours invested in this graphic, I'm pretty ticked off about this, especially considering this has never happened to me before. Any ideas?

I'm not sure, but maybe check the resolution of the image (dpi).
Maybe MC is assuming 72 DPI (or similiar) and so forces 72 pixels per inch, resising the image.

Just an idea, it's been over ten years since I looked at MC

That sounds like the most likely explanation. On-screen graphics have to be 72 dpi, so if you supply an image file at some other resolution, MissionComputer is forced to scale it. You can fix this using Photoshop's Image Size dialogue box (make sure Resample Image is turned off).

Hmm. I use the GIMP, so I'm not sure how to find that information. I'll have to poke around and see if I can find it.

The only other rez info I can find is what says that it is 300x300 ppi, is that what you're talking about?

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 09 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Shlimazel @ Mar 9 2010, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm. I use the GIMP, so I'm not sure how to find that information. I'll have to poke around and see if I can find it.

The only other rez info I can find is what says that it is 300x300 ppi, is that what you're talking about?

Yes, PPI is probably pixels per inch, which is what we're talking about.
You may need to export the image to another piece of software to adjust the DPI.
You may also have to adjust brightness/contrast to make it look proper.

I'd reccomend some version of Adobe photoshop or imageready if you can get to it.

Wow, I was useful after all these years. I'm proud of myself.

Okay, thanks. Comparing this new pic to the old functioning ones, that so far seems to be what's up, though I need to try it first. Note that you can, it seems, use GraphicConverter (free!) to make changes to the PPI resolution also.

Yes, this was the issue. I was able to correct the resolution in GraphicConverter with no trouble. Thanks for your help, everyone.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 09 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

Yes, any graphic for on-screen display should be set to 72 dpi; higher resolutions are for print-quality images. Any good-quality image editor should be able to make the change.