new weapon idea

my idea is a secondary weapon specially designed for disabling ships (like the ion cannon). It is a beam, but does less damage than the ion cannon and fires as a secondary weapon. When it has disabled a ship however, it holds it in place, allowing you to board it easily. Is this possible?

Also, for disabling, how about a weapon which sends an electric pulse through the target ship after it has been disabled, killing some of the crew and raising your chances of capturing it??

Are either of these possible?

QUOTE (Javelin King! @ Oct 11 2009, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are either of these possible?

I know the first one is, by making a beam that disables only and is a strong tractor beam (negative impact), but the second one is over my head.

The second one is also possible. Just make the outfit both a weapon and a capture chance increaser outfit.

As for the first one, a tractor beam wouldn't quite hold it still, it would pull it towards you (or you towards it if your ship is smaller), resulting in it having a different velocity then you and could actually mess with trying to board it.

But if you give the outfit a boost to capture% you won't need to fire the weapon at the ship you're about to board.
It might be doable with cröns and stuff but that's more than I know how to do.

QUOTE (Jalisurr @ Oct 11 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The second one is also possible. Just make the outfit both a weapon and a capture chance increaser outfit.

QUOTE (peko @ Oct 11 2009, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But if you give the outfit a boost to capture% you won't need to fire the weapon at the ship you're about to board.

This is why it is over my head.

QUOTE (peko @ Oct 11 2009, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only way I can think of off-hand will make the date useless for, well, the date. Instead, a repeating self-destructing dude would be causing a date-posting mission, and tracking single-shot ammo for such a gun. When it detects no ammo, it grants a marines outfit, then starts a different self-destructing dude that will delete it after a few seconds, and replenish the ammo for the gun.

Not an ideal situation.

I made something like this a long time ago. Do a search for "disabling tractor beam" with my username and you should have something. It's somewhat untested, so caveat lector.