System Background image

QUOTE (JacaByte @ Jul 29 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No no, see, Matt Burch wrote "a value of -100 will make the player question their glasses prescription" because it causes stars to disappear without adding and system murk. The reason said players will question their glasses prescription is that they'll see a black field under their ship, and it'll seem like the ship isn't moving at all until it comes up against another ship, asteroids, or a planet. System murk (positive values) causes objects on the edge of the screen to fade in and out of vision, while star field murkiness (negative values) does not, if I recall correctly.

Someone was talking about decreasing the visibility of the stars not removing them completely. As it stands the stars only seem to fade a little when the system murk levels are set between 5 and 20 or so... I'm not exactly sure on the numbers but it is around those. Any other positive murk value makes the stars fully visible. To remove the stars completely then yes, all you have to do is hit -1 in the murk field, any negative number will provide the same result there.

Oh, that's not -100 that I'm seeing. Doh! It's a constant no matter how far below zero the number is set. I get it. Never played with that value. 😕

It's a pity Nova no longer allows for one-way jump lines. It'd be cool to have you "land" on the wormhole planet, and use hyperspace to take off.