Just finished my first plug-in, asking help

I've been playing the EV games off and on for years, and after recently rediscovering them, I found the conclusion to the Kontik Probe launching mission very anticlimactic, and set out to create a plug-in that would provide a satisfying conclusion to it. I ended up developing it into a full-fledged storyline(20+ missions), consistent with the EV universe, which references aspects of the standard storylines, without interfering with them. There are no original graphics, but I think I've been pretty creative in the use of what was available in the EV universe, and in creating storylines that explain visual 'similarities' between certain ships.

(See below)

This post has been edited by jps19 : 21 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

I gather that this plug-in has been pre-empted, so I guess I'll keep it to myself unless I think of a way to make it original.

I'd like to try the plug referenced in that string but I can't seem to find it...

It is currently on the second page of the EVN addons page (plugins category).
(It can also be shown without other stuff from the old system, with broken HTML references at http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/sho...-expansion.zip) Somethings up with that right now. It worked a moment ago... found the problem, it was the parenthesis.
By all means continue to work on yours if you want to. There is no law of exclusion, here.

This post has been edited by Nonconventionally Creative : 21 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

I can help with some graphics. I don't have any spare ship graphics, but I can do planets or explosions if you need them. Just put up a list of stuff that you need.

@nonconventionally-creative, on Dec 21 2008, 04:14 PM, said in Just finished my first plug-in, asking help:

It is currently on the second page of the EVN addons page (plugins category).
(It can also be shown without other stuff from the old system, with broken HTML references at http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/sho...-expansion.zip) Somethings up with that right now. It worked a moment ago... found the problem, it was the parenthesis.
By all means continue to work on yours if you want to. There is no law of exclusion, here.

Thanks. I think I'll play through the existing plug and see how similar the story is to mine. I do think the Kontik probe mission is such an appealing teaser that it allows for multiple efforts at developing it, but at the same time I'd hate to spend a long time creating an original plug-in, post it, and have someone else post another that basically duplicates it without adding anything new, so I'm going to avoid that. (even if its not prohibited by any explicit rule)

@0101181920, on Dec 21 2008, 04:40 PM, said in Just finished my first plug-in, asking help:

I can help with some graphics. I don't have any spare ship graphics, but I can do planets or explosions if you need them. Just put up a list of stuff that you need.

Thanks, that would be great. Once I figure out if I need to make any changes to keep my plug original, I'll put up a list.

For some of the problems you originally mentioned, I'd say the best thing to do is upload the plug somewhere so that others can take a look at it and debug the problems directly.
For the AI ships running away, have you checked the govt's maxodds?

@guy, on Dec 21 2008, 06:25 PM, said in Just finished my first plug-in, asking help:

For some of the problems you originally mentioned, I'd say the best thing to do is upload the plug somewhere so that others can take a look at it and debug the problems directly.
For the AI ships running away, have you checked the govt's maxodds?

I hadn't, and I think that solves the problem. Thanks alot!

I don't think aarths plugin has a storyline yet. I would love to help but my life has been kinda weird lately. I probably have time to do some coding if you need. But a word of advice the storyline is the important bit, flashy graphics are nice cool weapons are well cool but at heart the type of plugin your making the heart of it is the storyline. Anything I can do to help I will.

I would love to see a plugin on kontic actually come out.

Basically I was saying make a good storyline and people will love you.

This post has been edited by of doom : 21 December 2008 - 10:25 PM

Having read the thread on the existing Kontik Expansion more closely, it looks like its story is going in a pretty different direction from mine. So unless I learn otherwise I've decided to proceed. Its basically done. I think I resolved my earlier problems.

If anyone is willing to test it, or contribute graphics, I could e-mail it to you, its about 5 mb compressed, so I can't post it here. I don't want to post a specific list of graphics I need because it would somewhat ruin the story, but if someone is willing to help with graphics and doesn't want to play through to see whats needed I could e-mail a list to you instead.

Thanks in advance.

Sure, email away. My PM system doesn't work (because my name starts with a 0), but the email link works fine.

@0101181920, on Dec 22 2008, 08:30 PM, said in Just finished my first plug-in, asking help:

Sure, email away. My PM system doesn't work (because my name starts with a 0), but the email link works fine.

I couldn't figure out how to e-mail this to you, and I decided after doing some more work that it was complete enough to post on the add-ons page.

If anyone is willing to try it and provide feedback, I would be grateful.

Here is the link to download it: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/assets/modules/a....php?addon=3199

This post has been edited by jps19 : 05 January 2009 - 02:13 PM