Change the resolution of mac windowed mode...

Nope, not a chance I'm afraid. You may notice if you switch back to millions while Nova is running it will refuse to let you enter your ship until you put it back. Now I'm no hacker either, I just bumble around and hope I stumble upon the right values to change and in this case it worked 🙂

This post has been edited by Guy : 20 March 2007 - 01:14 AM

Nah, the entire engine (blitting, in particular, you may notice that even in a window it's writing directly to the screen) is built around the assumption that the screen is in either 8-bit or 16-bit color modes.

@guy, on Mar 18 2007, 06:22 PM, said in Change the resolution of mac windowed mode...:

Oh and regarding the target bracket, what do you think happens when you hit cmd+shift+3 when in the Tichel system?

Spob #3 gets selected as the screenshot is taken. Which, in this case, is HG-Tichel.

This post has been edited by apache1990 : 20 March 2007 - 01:09 PM

@guy, on Mar 16 2007, 11:47 PM, said in Change the resolution of mac windowed mode...:

To change the size of the window that mac Nova uses when running in windowed mode, open the EV Nova application in a hex editor (such as 0xED) and find the following offsets:
Width: 0x22C42E
Height: 0x22C432
Width should read 0340 (832) and height should read 025C (604). You can change these to whatever you like, such as 0400 (1024) and 0300 (768). Set the OS X Calculator to Programmer mode to work out hex values.

Yes! Now I can play our favorite TC in a window and not miss some of the intro text! 😉

Interesting these offsets are in fact in the middle of PowerPC code (which, by the way, means it won't work for people who somehow run Nova with a 68k yes it has been done, if only by adventuring PC people running Basilisk before the advent of WinNova, I guess you could find the location where 0x0340 and 0x025C are close in the CODE resource/segment called "init"; in fact the same goes for WinNova, though I don't know the values you would need to look for as I don't know the windowed resolution for WinNova), probably the init code, these are just two immediates. Around it, there is code to check that the screen is big enough, apparently 832x604 is chosen only if the screen is more than 832 in width and 624 in height (an intermediate Mac resolution, beore 1024x768 was mainstream). If not, it checks whether it is more than 800 in width, and 600 in height, and chooses 800x580 if yes to both, and otherwise seems to compute a window size appropriate for the screen size. Notice that if you just change the values at two offsets Guy describes, they will be chosen as long as the resolution is more than 832x624, so if you pick 1024x768 because you have a 1280x800 monitor (the menu bar and title bar will only overlap by 8 pixels), and then change your monitor's resolution to, say, 1024x640, Nova will run in a window in 1024x768

By the way, HexEdit kick 0xED's ass. 😛 Small, frugal, efficient, with PowerPC disassembly what else could you ask for?

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 20 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

I'm not going to muck with this myself, but... you're talking about a CODE resource, not about data fork code? Can CODE resources be superceded by a plug?

@dr--trowel, on Mar 20 2007, 03:51 PM, said in Change the resolution of mac windowed mode...:

I'm not going to muck with this myself, but... you're talking about a CODE resource, not about data fork code? Can CODE resources be superceded by a plug?

CODE resources are 68k code (Zacha Pedro was referring the possibility of finding the section in the CODE resources equivalent to the location in the data fork that Guy found); I don't know offhand whether one contained in a plug-in would have any effect, but the idea seems a bit dubious to me. In any case, PowerPC application code is stored in the data fork, in order to get around the resource fork's limitations on size, so it wouldn't be of value for modern computers anyway.

@zacha-pedro, on Mar 21 2007, 07:18 AM, said in Change the resolution of mac windowed mode...:

Interesting these offsets are in fact in the middle of PowerPC code (which, by the way, means it won't work for people who somehow run Nova with a 68k yes it has been done, if only by adventuring PC people running Basilisk before the advent of WinNova, I guess you could find the location where 0x0340 and 0x025C are close in the CODE resource/segment called "init"; in fact the same goes for WinNova, though I don't know the values you would need to look for as I don't know the windowed resolution for WinNova), probably the init code, these are just two immediates.

Nova has 68k code?? The system requirements do state PPC.
As for win Nova, I had a bit of a poke around but really didn't know what I was looking for. I know it picks 1024x768 if your screen is big enough, else 800x600 (don't think it ever goes smaller than that) but I didn't know if I should be taking some sort of endian difference into account or crap like that. If it was possible to make the resolution bigger than 1024x768 I'm sure it would be an extremely popular hack 🆒.

@zacha-pedro, on Mar 21 2007, 07:18 AM, said in Change the resolution of mac windowed mode...:

By the way, HexEdit kick 0xED's ass. 😛 Small, frugal, efficient, with PowerPC disassembly what else could you ask for?

Heh, I still keep HexEdit but 0xED is much nicer to use when you don't need those extra features 😉

This post has been edited by Guy : 20 March 2007 - 05:42 PM

@guy, on Mar 20 2007, 06:40 PM, said in Change the resolution of mac windowed mode...:

Nova has 68k code?? The system requirements do state PPC.

Yes, EV Nova has 68k code, but it relies upon other features - unrelated to the processor type - which weren't introduced until the PowerPC-based Macintoshes. On a hypothetical 68k Macintosh which had those features, or on an emulator which supports those features but cannot do PowerPC, it would run without complaint.

Minimum OS Mac OS 8.1. This can be run on Baslisk II. Unknown as to how well Nova would perform under such an environment. Speculation, not well.

The time has come... <image removed>

No no, you fools, you all completely missed it. It was the same thing that was odd about the first image, except on Windows. Win Nova Resolution Patch now available from link in sig.

This post has been edited by Guy : 20 September 2007 - 02:58 AM

Interface bar. Doesn't go all the way down.

Has no one noticed that the Fed Carrier appears to be disabled from the gray brackets but in the sidebar it says it has a 100% shield?

They aren't gray. They're yellow. The jpeg compression just made it look grayer than usual.

Woah... That's weird. They are yellow.

Updated for 1.1 🙂