Graphical Help for EV: Eon

@shlimazel, on Jan 21 2008, 03:58 PM, said in Graphical Help for EV: Eon:

I just have used blender before and think it sucks.

I SHALL SMACK YOU!!!!!

anyway, I would offer to help, but I am working on a project of my own. But if you need something small, I could probably handle it.

@shlimazel, on Jan 21 2008, 12:58 PM, said in Graphical Help for EV: Eon:

You could try blender and see how it works out. I just have used blender before and think it sucks.

I agree.

Anyway, Bryce isn't a bad program, unfortunately it does work differently than most other 3D programs, so you're probably better off using those.

@king_of_manticores, on Jan 21 2008, 08:55 PM, said in Graphical Help for EV: Eon:

OH HELP ME! I don't have that kind of money. What did the creators of Lightwave expect of us? 'You know, this thing's so good we'll sell it at a great price... for those who can afford it!'

Lightwave is a program designed for professional graphics artists doing design for commercial products.

For example, ATMOS used Lightwave in creating Nova's graphics. It was also used in Titanic and Battlestar Galactica to name a few others. So in essence, it's not what your average Nova plugin creator uses. For example, I created all the graphics in Anathema used a version of Strata 3D that I got for just over $100. Most of the graphics in Reverant were created with Bryce, which is in the same bracket (although Verb later switched to Lightwave). **

So there are plenty of great applications out there for novice 3D artists. There's no reason that you need ultra-powered software to create good graphics, they just help.

** Not that I'm comparing Anathema graphics to Verb's work. Reverent's graphics are by far the most sophisticated these forums have ever seen.

This post has been edited by Archon : 21 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

@shlimazel, on Jan 21 2008, 09:58 PM, said in Graphical Help for EV: Eon:

I just have used blender before and think it sucks.

I would smack you too, if I liked smacking people. 😛 I think blender is really nice.

@crusader-alpha, on Jan 21 2008, 11:56 PM, said in Graphical Help for EV: Eon:

Blender

Crusader Alpha is the dude when it comes to being 1337 with blender.

That's really good. But I still didn't get one question answered: Could Photoshop, Illustrator, or InDesign be good for making EV ships, planets, outfits, weapons, and the like?

for planets with photoshop, look up lunarCell, by flaming pear. it is the easies way to make planets I have ever found, and I figured it out in about 5 minutes. (and it's free!)

Attached File Planet.jpeg (33.42K)
Number of downloads: 27
made with LunarCell

and for landing graphics, get a program called Terragen. it is also free.

Attached File daybreak.jpg (32.24K)
Number of downloads: 25
made with Terragen.

Isn't the Terragen pic from Onyx's Old Shipyard? It looks like that to me, but it does look cool. LunarCell... hmm... that planet looks pretty good. I might get them.

(EDIT) Sorry about the comment about the Terragen pic. They looked alike, but weren't the same thing. So solly, so solly...

This post has been edited by king_of_manticores : 21 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

thats okay 😛

Thanks for directing me to LunarCell. Now how to work it...

(EDIT) Yoda, there's a register button. Will LunarCell still work if I don't register? It's like EV Nova: I have 30 days left.

This post has been edited by king_of_manticores : 21 January 2008 - 11:58 PM

Terragen is indeed ideal for making some realistic landscapes...
Bryce will work too, but looks less realistic and is more difficult to master (and imho has less usefull options).

Here's something I created within 30 minutes or so, with very basic knowledge about Terragen:
Posted Image

@king_of_manticores, on Jan 21 2008, 11:52 PM, said in Graphical Help for EV: Eon:

(EDIT) Yoda, there's a register button. Will LunarCell still work if I don't register? It's like EV Nova: I have 30 days left.

ummmm, i am sorry to say that it won't, because mine just stopped working, yesterday, after i posted that.

EDIT: But i did manage to get the planet graphic for Apophis done in the alotted time. any more i need, i can do in Bryce.

This post has been edited by Yoda Almighty : 22 January 2008 - 06:45 AM

Try photoshop for creating planets... Gives much more realistic feel to it and you can make them at high resolutions with no need to render...
There are some very good tutorials on the web that explain how to do it.

Hey, it's ReinerK! Haven't seen you around for a while. Welcome back!

Hehe, hi dude...
Yeah it's been a while... not working on my plug lately, but it's still something I want to do!
I'm crap at modelling spaceships, so that's still holding me off... The rest I can do fairly easily... Hmm... I need a sebatical 🙂

@reinierk, on Jan 22 2008, 05:42 PM, said in Graphical Help for EV: Eon:

I'm crap at modelling spaceships, so that's still holding me off... The rest I can do fairly easily... Hmm... I need a sebatical 🙂

You've probably heard this already, but I'll say it just in case:

Unless you're doing them yourself and making really good time, save graphics for last. If they're holding you up, just get the actual programming done first, and once you have a solid plugin foundation, ask for contributions on the forums. You'd really be amazed by how much more quickly things can get done that way. 🙂

Non-lunarcell planets look the best, but lunarcell is perfectly acceptable since they're so much quicker to make. ATMOS used them, after all, so they can't be that bad.

This post has been edited by Crusader Alpha : 22 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

I actually can make a planet now! Yes. The attachment is that. I never knew LunarCell was very easy.

I'll get to programming now.

Attached File(s)

Lunarcell is fine if you really want, but might I suggest still going for a convincible look?
Clouds are genreally pretty 'soft', although you can have large contrasts in them, they never look 'jagged'...

Also: land masses aren't too bumpy when looking from space and you might want to add some color variation to generate different climates...

Just my ideas 😉