EV Nova Translation Project

@timmytiptoe, on May 15 2008, 05:26 AM, said in EV Nova Translation Project:

I started a project like this two years ago, and finished half of the Federation and a few ships before I decided it was too boring.

This is the original idea.

Wow. I'd forgotten about our discussion about "Kel'ar Iy delenda est" 😄

Maybe I could convince my Ancient Languages (?) teacher to work on a latin version maybe...

@timmytiptoe, on May 19 2008, 06:16 PM, said in EV Nova Translation Project:

Maybe I could convince my Ancient Languages (?) teacher to work on a latin version maybe...

I vote for Sanskrit.

Caveman!

Ukr Grnouf'Flarg!

Yep. Caveman.
Eerm...
Damin?
It has clicks!

Oh come on! You can't be serious about the latin translation?? That'd take a whole lifetime!

This post has been edited by polmc : 21 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

Erm... well...

I did two months on half of the Federation, so 4 months for the whole, 8 months for Auroran, a year for all planets. Then the ships, outfits and mission strings. Not really a lifetime.

And I found a backup of my translation project. One desc, but still!

It took us most of three years to write, maybe more. That was three people, working 4-5 hours a day each, on average.

But, translation would be much faster, as you don't actually have to be creative or anything. Everything is already written, you just have to translate it from one language to another.

pipeline: I understand that it will take a long while, but seeing as people are still playing EV and EVO, it doesn't seem like I'm short of time to complete the project.

Gracias a a todos por vuestras respuestas. Estoy contento que hay tanta gente que quiere participar en este proyecto pero tengo que advertiros que no tengo un Macintosh con Nova en este momento y no me gustaria hacer el trabajo en Windows asi que voy a tener que esperar unas semanas antes de empezar el trabajo (me doy cuento que es un verdadero trabajo pero es que me encantan las lenguas y Nova tambien asi que vale la pena de intentarlo, al menos para mi!).

Voy a manteneros informados y por favor no os preocupais si el proyecto empieze despacio.

Cheers,
Gunsh

This post has been edited by Old Thrashbarg : 23 May 2008 - 02:43 AM

@old-thrashbarg, on May 22 2008, 09:37 AM, said in EV Nova Translation Project:

pipeline: I understand that it will take a long while, but seeing as people are still playing EV and EVO, it doesn't seem like I'm short of time to complete the project.

Gracias a a todos por vuestras respuestas. Estoy contento que hay tanta gente que quiere participar en este proyecto pero tengo que advertiros que no tengo un Macintosh con Nova en este momento y no me gustaria hacer el trabajo en Windows asi que voy a tener que esperar unas semanas antes de empezar el trabajo (me doy cuento que es un verdadero trabajo pero es me encantan las lenguas y Nova tambien asi que vale la pena de intentarlo, al menos para mi!).

Voy a manteneros informados y por favor no os preocupais si el proyecto empieze despacio.

Cheers,
Gunsh

Tranquilo amigo, con toda la calma del mundo que las prisas no son buenas!

Yo tampoco tengo Nova ahora mismo, pero sí que tengo mac y no creo que tenga ningún problema en conseguir el juego 🙂

PD: Hablas muy bien espańol, y más aún por el hecho de no ser nativo, chapeau!

I might be able to help out with a little bit of German translation. I don't know a lot of vocabulary but I have a decent understanding of German grammar, so I might be able to sit down with a dictionary and translate a mission string or two. 🙂

@razzle-storm, on May 22 2008, 06:46 AM, said in EV Nova Translation Project:

But, translation would be much faster, as you don't actually have to be creative or anything. Everything is already written, you just have to translate it from one language to another.

This seems very ironic coming from someone learning Chinese. Wax tadpole anyone?

Hahaha.

Poor Coke-Cola.

Sorry to gravedig, but is anyone still adamant about progressing with this project? We've only had one member post at the forum, and it seems there's been no recent progress/planning.

This can't be vaporware already... surely :unsure:

Ah, a couple of weeks is no gravedig! What's the official "acceptable" length, anyways?

Some amount of months.

Three, I believe. The topic creator has full exception over grave digging, however.

I hope it's not dead... I guess we're just waiting for Old TrashBarg to reappear

Hi everyone,

No, the project isn't dead - I just haven't had the time to start it yet. I'm currently waiting on the arrival of my credit card (I only have a debit card at the moment) in order to rebuy EV Nova. I only have a registred copy of it on my ageing iMac and an unregistred one on my PC and I don't fancy doing the work on the iMac.

I'm committed to doing this - it may take ages though. Believe it or not, this is extremely good practice for me because I want to improve my Spanish before I go to Salamanca in September (although I doubt that the project will be anywhere near finished before Christmas)

And Ravenheart, I didn't join your forum yet because I don't have very much to contribute at the moment. I do intend to get stuff organised as soon as I can though.

Keep the faith!

Thrashbarg, if you're not using the copy on the Mac, why not simply re-enter the key on your newer machine? Ambrosia Software is quite happy for you to move your licence when you upgrade, you know. There's no need to re-buy the software.