Maximum possible number of plug-ins

Does anyone know?

Does anyone know the maximum number of plug-ins that can be installed at one time? I have some plans with lots of plug-ins. I'll tell them when I am sure I can work with the limitations... 😉

I don't know of any upper limit on the number of plug-in files that can be installed at a time, although I can't really see any good coming from installing large numbers at once - plug-ins by different people aren't usually designed to be compatible with each other, and while large plug-ins are frequently broken up into separate files, there's no reason why those files should be particularly numerous.

The maximum number is however many plugs you can install that do no conflict with each other. Theoretically, if each plug only used a single resource and conflicted with no other plug, you could have hundreds. Realistically, most plugs use the lowest available resources and hence will conflict.

How big is your hard drive? 😄

I suppose the biggest theoretical maximum possible with no conflicts is to place one resource in each plugin file. Why you'd do that is beyond me, but that'd allow you to have something in excess of twenty-nine thousand files. Though I'm certain I've failed to count a large number of resources.