"Opening data fork..."

I ported an old EV game to the Nova engine recently but when I tried to open the new plug-in in mission computer it just says: "Opening data fork" with a spinning loading bar that never finishes and it never opens.

What's going on? Is there anyway to fix this?

What was it that you ported, how did you port it, and in what version of MissionComputer are you trying to open it?

I was trying to port Empire 2: Dark Horizons using SpacePort 1.2.0b7, and I'm using Mission computer 3.3.3 to open the plug after it's converted. However I also have Mission computer 5.0.0a5, which tells me upon trying to open the plug that dsig ID 128 cannot be saved, so it can't be opened, then recomends i see if it's already open, which it isn't.

That's about all I know. I ported Empire (1) without any noticeable trouble, but when I try to port E2, I get this problem. Thing is, the plug-in is divided into two actual plug-in files, the first one ports fine, and it openable, but the second is where I'm having trouble. I tryed to copy all the rescources from the second to the first and then tried porting, but I got the same error again.

Just to be sure it wasn't a corrept port I hunted down the download and redownloaded it, but it still didn't work. I also tried to port Empire 3, since that to is a 2 plug-in... plug-in. THing is that one had the same problem- the second part doesn't open in mission computer.

Is the file by any chance locked?

Nope, it's unlocked. =/

If you have ResEdit handy, you can also try using its 'Get File/Folder Info' command on the offending file, and see whether the 'Resources Locked' box is checked.

Also, is the problematic file particularly large?

The interesting thing about this is that it seems to fail upon loading the data fork, but SpacePort does not add any data forks except for its output log. Is the "output log to a separate file" box unchecked, by any chance? If so, try checking it and retrying. It could be that MC has a problem with reading data forks.

@orcaloverbri9, on Apr 4 2008, 12:11 PM, said in "Opening data fork...":

The interesting thing about this is that it seems to fail upon loading the data fork

Actually, given what PhoenixFire told me about how the new version reacts, I think the most likely situation is that MissionComputer has successfully loaded the data fork, and the problem occurs when it tries to move on to the next step — that's why I've been asking about the resource fork.

I don't have ResEdit, where can I find it, and will it work on a Mac? Also, the file isn't particularly large, it's about 7.9 MB.

I looked in SpacePort, the "output log to separate file" is checked.

This post has been edited by PhoenixFire : 04 April 2008 - 02:22 PM

@phoenixfire, on Apr 4 2008, 03:21 PM, said in "Opening data fork...":

I don't have ResEdit, where can I find it, and will it work on a Mac?

ResEdit is the original and standard resource editor for Macintosh; it will run on any Macintosh running Mac OS 9.x or earlier, including the Classic environment.

@david-arthur, on Apr 4 2008, 04:10 PM, said in "Opening data fork...":

ResEdit is the original and standard resource editor for Macintosh; it will run on any Macintosh running Mac OS 9.x or earlier, including the Classic environment.

When I download that file, it doesn't work =/

I get a .sea file that when I try to open it it starts of up Automator and does nothing =/

Try this link.

orca: Where is that SpacePort, anyway? 😉

When I try using the "Get File/Folder Info" command, all I get is a text box that says: "The resource map is inconsistent with that operation. (-199)"

A .sea archive is a Stuffit-created Self-Extracting Archive. I'm not sure if they'll still self-extract on OSX (or whatever it is you have) but I'm pretty sure you can still extract it if you have Stuffit Expander. It works for the PC, in any case.

@phoenixfire, on Apr 5 2008, 01:36 PM, said in "Opening data fork...":

When I try using the "Get File/Folder Info" command, all I get is a text box that says: "The resource map is inconsistent with that operation. (-199)"

That doesn't sound good :huh:

@guy, on Apr 4 2008, 09:12 PM, said in "Opening data fork...":

That doesn't sound good :huh:

Do you have any idea what it means? The whole issue is rather bizarre, I mean other people have ported things before and never had this problem. And even after redownloading everything it still doesn't work =/

@phoenixfire, on Apr 4 2008, 08:36 PM, said in "Opening data fork...":

This sounds like something wrong with the resource data. Is ResEdit able to open the file? It has basic features for repairing corrupted resource forks, which may be of assistance.

When I try to open the file I get the same message =/

Is it able to open the original, pre-conversion file?

Well, I just ran it through SpacePort 1.2.0b8, and got the same result. The original opens fine. I took a look at the fork in HexEdit, and noticed a 1C offset that should have been 1D in the resource map; however, even after fixing this, it still fails, which leads me to believe that there are a number of problems with the resource fork.

Simply put, it's RB's fault. <_<