Submunition range obstacle

So I was tearing my hair out trying to debug a PD weapon that submunitions.

A non-subing weapon that has a range greater than 32,767 seems to fire normally.
However, if a weapon has subs, and the total range of all subs combined is greater than 32,767, then the weapon will not fire at all.

Caveats:

1. I'm assuming the threshold is 32,767 - I didn't test it exclusively, but values under 30,000 worked fine.
  2. Not sure if this only applies to all weapons or only PD weapons.

What happens to your submunitioning weapon when it's not a PD weapon? Are you sure the issue it's having is the range and not something like that it doesn't like submunitioning PD weapons?

Oh, I got it working.

I tried all kinds of things. It didn't work until the range came down to 30,000 or less.

I was simulating smoke (engine problems) and fuel leaks.
So, I had a hostile PD vulnerable dude enter the system and granted a PD weapon that had graphics that looked like smoke and droplets.
The trick was making the smoke or drops element only last for a second or two, then subing into an invisible long range weapon to trick it into firing constantly while the dude was in the system.

The problem was re-using an invisible weap that was designed for something else. It was invisible and long range so I figured it was suitable, but it had a theoretical range of 100,000. Don't know why it was this high, I guess it was set that way and never looked at again since it worked by itself.

That sounds kind of interesting. When do we get to see it in action? 😄

Part of the paper TC

Shouldn't non-guided weaps have a total effective range (with subs) of no more than 32767? Wouldn't firing a weap for a longer time than that loop hit the system barrier and either be erased/forgotten about or flip around to the other side?

They probably should.

Anyway, aren't systems only 20,000 across?

This post has been edited by Desprez : 03 April 2008 - 07:35 PM

For most intents and purposes.

Most?

In a certain plug that I have, a station is very near the edge of the system. (so that you almost flip over).

It is located at -3600, 10000

I have used this plug, but I have not investigated if I can get closer to the edge of the system.