EVE Online TC

just brainstorming here....

Well, recently I had the idea to do a quasi-port of EVE online to the EV Nova engine. Obviously one cant actually replicate an MMO experience on a single player game, but I thought that the storylines, ships/equipment, missions, .etc would mesh well with the pre-existing Nova game. I have already done some experimenting and this looks to be feasible (whilst being a considerable amount of work). I am curious to know... If I were to invest alot of time into this and take care of all the editing/programming bits would anyone be willing to help me with the graphics and effects?

The way I see it we already have all of the outfit pics (EVE outfit pics), all of the ship comm/yard pics (EVE info-tab ship pics), the larger 3d ship pics from the shipyard info (EVE screenshots). All that needs to be done on the graphics end is to recreate the EVE ships/stations/weapon effects in the Nova engine. This is no small task, and would probably require about 60+ fully animated ships. I figure that doing EVERY EVE ship would detract from the experience so I would only use the base models for: frigates, cruisers, and battleships. No T2 variants or middle classes (destroyers/battlecruisers) in the initial TC at least. EVE Ship Pics can be found here: http://glowfalls.com...ships/index.php

As for the gameplay? Many elements of EVE would need to be scaled back or cut entirely, but I still think it would work.

Some cuts would include:

All PvP equipment (scramblers, neutralizers, most E-WAR equipment .etc)
Skills/skillbooks
All Science/Research
Implants/Boosters
Named/T2/Faction Equipment
Mid and low slots restrictions
Deadspace
System size
POS's
Belts/Belt Ratting
Capital ships (initially at least)
T2 ships (initially at least)
*Im also unsure at this point of the best way to implement warping and/or stargates

But most everything else, can potentially be worked in. (Standings, Agent Missions, storylines, equipment, rigging, high slots, pirates .etc)
Just look at all the similarities between EVE and EVN... for example: (four main governments in EVE, 4 main governments in EVN .etc)

As I said I have only recently started doing work on this, and most of it is in the planning stages. I would just like to get some feedback and know if there is anyone out there who would be willing to help. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Seth_Black

If you are unfamiliar with EVE (it is obviously ripped off from ambrosia's masterpiece =p) you can get a free trial. Just google it.

EVE was never much of a PvE game, so I think you'd have to make up a lot of storyline. Still, there is a lot of material to work with in terms of ships and outfits.

Yeah, I think the equipment/ships would work great in Nova, and you're right about the story, but I'm already thinking about that. The large number of NPC factions in EVE lend themselves well to creating a diverse set of missions, with main storylines following the Amarr, Gallente, Minmatar, and Caldari, as well as, (perhaps) Jove, and minor storylines involving the 5 pirate factions, the Servant Sisters of EVE, Quafe, the Society of Conscious Thought, Mordus legion, and others. All the minor mission sets wouldnt need to be done initially of course, but the sheer amount of potential for them would mean that some could be added in various plug updates giving more longevity to the overall TC. If this became poplular it could keep growing and growing, drawing upon all the lore in EVE.

On another note.... I have counted every graphic I would like to add (this number is by no means set.)
I looks like anywhere from (keep in mind this is ideal) 60(min) - 90(max) animated ships, 12-20 stations, 4-12 different hypergates (if I decide to use stargates), and numerous weapon/engine effects.

The minimum number will give us for each of the 4 races: ------------------------(if we were to do the max number we'd also get for each race:)

6 frigates (small ships) --------------------------------------------------------------- 1 destroyer (mid-class between frigate and cruiser)
4 cruisers (medium ships) ------------------------------------------------------------2 battlecruisers (mid-class between cruiser and battleship)
3 battleships (large ships)------------------------------------------------------------ 2 additional unique stations
between 1-3 industrials (dedicated cargo haulers)
1 shuttle -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (also, we'd get overall:)
3 unique stations -----------------------------------------------------------------------5 unique pirate factions each with their own battleship, cruiser, and frigate
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- a set of 3 neutral mining/cargo vessels

You can view the entire EVE item database (along with all their outfit pics) here: http://www.eve-onlin...temdatabase/EN/

This actually would be really cool if it was pulled off. You're right, it would be a lot of work, but it could potentially be really REALLY rewarding.

I agree, and thats why I'm so eager to do it. I can devote many many hours to this and see it through, but at the end of the day its too much for me to do alone, so it becomes a question of whether or not I can get together the manpower to make this work.

Oh, by the way, for anyone who is interested in the storyline aspect of this, you can find a link to the various NPC Factions in EVE here: http://www.eve-onlin...m/corporations/

Well er... um.... considering the immense amount of replies/support I've received in comparison to the other TC ideas, could someone at least direct me to a good tutorial/program on making ships so I can start on the painfully long journey of trying to do some myself? I already have Shipyard/Outfit/Comm pics/descs 100% done.

If you were allowed or could secure permission to get copies of the models from the games, it would be easier to just spin them.

However, I can't say much as to the likelyhood of that happening, but if I were you I would contact someone in charge of EVE online and ask, just because of the amount of work that it would save you. For software, your freeware options are Blender, Wings 3d, and Bryce. I use blender, and like it the most.

@crusader-alpha, on Feb 28 2008, 04:51 AM, said in EVE Online TC:

If you were allowed or could secure permission to get copies of the models from the games, it would be easier to just spin them.

However, I can't say much as to the likelyhood of that happening, but if I were you I would contact someone in charge of EVE online and ask, just because of the amount of work that it would save you. For software, your freeware options are Blender, Wings 3d, and Bryce. I use blender, and like it the most.

You're not.

A group of people are making a Homeworld 2 EVE TC, they asked.

Apparently it's against the EULA, but you're allowed to make your own versions, provided all the name/copyright stuff is there.

@templar98921, on Mar 3 2008, 03:49 AM, said in EVE Online TC:

You're not.
A group of people are making a Homeworld 2 EVE TC, they asked.
Apparently it's against the EULA, but you're allowed to make your own versions, provided all the name/copyright stuff is there.

Ah well. Cool on Homeworld 2 TC, although having never played EVE, I have no idea how good of a scenario it is.

@crusader-alpha, on Mar 3 2008, 03:44 PM, said in EVE Online TC:

Ah well. Cool on Homeworld 2 TC, although having never played EVE, I have no idea how good of a scenario it is.

You can try it free here: https://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?aid=10338...CFQ8gQgodyXUiyA

Well,
This saddens me, i was hoping my idea would be original and id release this when i had a demo version of it. Ive been working on a Conversion for eve to evn just before last christmas, And have spent a fair amount of work on it... But i wasnt gonan release information of me doing it, just incase i never went through with it. But anyway, i might aswell state what ive done. Ive used EVNEW and put in, All resources for ships, i setup about 60 odd ships, with faction battleships as prizes, aswell as Capital Ships from eve to do conquering with. Ive "Almost" balanced all of them, With Armor/Shield values and stats. Aswell as ive added about... 129 Weapons. i think it was off the top of my head, im not at home so i cant really check. But anyway, ive written them up into the resourcer and done almost 50% of them with Stats (Damage, Reload Times etc.). On top of that, ive already mapped about the beginnings of a Universe aswell as governments. Ive done all 4 Races up Caldari, Minnie, Amarr, Caldari with descriptions (Added Jovian that isnt released on TQ(EVE Server) as an NPC to fight aswell).

Things ive havent touched on;
-Missions
-Pictures/Imagery
-And overall Text/Naming. (Descriptions of Stellars).
-And no stellars. Proabably will base them off System name and governments sub factions. (Which were added as seperate governments but friendly to the whole).

@seth_black, on Mar 5 2008, 02:32 PM, said in EVE Online TC:

You can try it free here: https://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?aid=10338...CFQ8gQgodyXUiyA

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Error message: "You cannot open the application "EVE Online" because it may be damaged or incomplete".

Edit: read up on that. EVE Online isn't available for users of anything less than OSX 10.4.9 or for PPC users, or Macbook users, or Mac-Mini users. With a G5 and 10.3.9, it's not an option. While I don't mind too much that it doesn't work, it would be great if they actually gave system requirements before download instead of having one download the application for two hours and fill up several GB of space before realizing that it won't work and deleting it, which is a process that takes a while. I had to navigate through the site for a little while before finding system requirements. While I know that I should have checked more carefully, the company should also have made it clearer at download that it wasn't an option.

Oh well.

This post has been edited by Crusader Alpha : 07 March 2008 - 03:17 PM

Well, Ive been experimenting around with blender and wings 3d, and discovered that I am probably the worst person in the world to do this. I mean I am REALLY Bad. So as it stands, I can handle and am about 50% done with all non-mission descs, as well as having all ship, comm, outfit pics done. Also Ive been working on ideas for the proper way to implement features from eve (such as warping) into evn and mapping the universe (in a limited capacity of course, EVE is HUGE). If you like Elyptor, we can work together, it seems you have more done than me, though I suspect we have different visions for how this will work. All of that aside though, this project is for naught if we cant garner help for making the graphics.

Apologies crusader, I should've mentioned sys reqs, I wasnt thinking because I run PC as my primary computer and eve works with all reasonably recent versions. If you ever do get the chance though, it is an interesting game to play for an evn player.

@seth_black, on Mar 10 2008, 10:05 AM, said in EVE Online TC:

Well, Ive been experimenting around with blender and wings 3d, and discovered that I am probably the worst person in the world to do this. I mean I am REALLY Bad.

Believe me, everyone, and I mean absolutely everybody, sucks when they start. You are not alone.

Try increasing the complexity of your models. It ends up looking better. And take your time. You will get better.

For two weeks I couldn't figure out how to get anything better than a cube (which was just there when the program started up). I couldn't even figure out how to move around it.

@seth_black, on Mar 9 2008, 09:05 PM, said in EVE Online TC:

Well, Ive been experimenting around with blender and wings 3d, and discovered that I am probably the worst person in the world to do this. I mean I am REALLY Bad. So as it stands, I can handle and am about 50% done with all non-mission descs, as well as having all ship, comm, outfit pics done. Also Ive been working on ideas for the proper way to implement features from eve (such as warping) into evn and mapping the universe (in a limited capacity of course, EVE is HUGE). If you like Elyptor, we can work together, it seems you have more done than me, though I suspect we have different visions for how this will work. All of that aside though, this project is for naught if we cant garner help for making the graphics.

If you and Elyptor can pool your work and he's got models for in-flight sprites, that would be great.

If not, I have a radical suggestion for dealing with your lack of modeling prowess: don't even try.

You've already set the bar extremely high by using EVE screenshots for other graphics; it's going to be tough to match your sprite models to those closely enough that it won't be obvious. Now, I don't know a thing about EVE's own in-game status display style, but why not take the approach that what the player is looking at in your TC is a tactical display, rather than a direct window into reality? You could use Wyvern's Quick Ship Creator to make simple outlines matching ship classes in EVE or, if you can get top-down depictions of the EVE ships, you can trace/autotrace/edge-detect from those to make outlines and then run them through EVWeb's Spinapp. In either case, you could add Photoshop-filter-foo (glowing edges or whatever) to taste. The players would still get to see the real EVE screenshots in the various dialogs.

...And then you could upgrade to real 3D ship models if or when you or a collaborator makes 'em.

Ah yes, I forgot when I last posted; you're trying to make a TC. Don't try to learn graphics if you're trying to make a TC, it will slow your progress a lot. At least don't try to learn them until after you have the TC created or well along. Wyvern's Quick Ship Creator I think is an excellent tool, from what I hear of it, though I can't get it to work on my computer. It's a very good idea anyway.

Placeholder graphics are great.

@crusader-alpha, on Mar 7 2008, 08:02 PM, said in EVE Online TC:

EVE Online isn't available for users of anything less than OSX 10.4.9 or for PPC users, or Macbook users, or Mac-Mini users. With a G5 and 10.3.9, it's not an option.

??
I've been waiting for them to put out a mac version forever. When did that happen?
For the longest time, it was always, "We don't support mac and never will."
And it always took 10 min of navigating their site to find the info (and still does)

Well, to be honest, just imagine a fully 3D version of EVN and you get an idea of what EVE looks like (except with amazingly better graphics) so for this to be as true as possible to EVE the graphics will need to be made eventually or it will become vaporware imo. However, that is a great idea for placeholders, and I may just do that. The only screenshots being used are the shipyard info screens. Traditionally at least imo EVN shipyard info screens are always more impressive than the actual ships. All the other pics are taken from their EVE counterparts (ex. TC Artillery Cannon outfit pic is taken from the EVE Artillery Cannon outfit pic).

I have had the most success with Blender, and have created some really crappy EV-Classic-esque models that barely resemble what they are supposed to. Needless to say I have given up on modeling and decided that this isnt worth my time if no one can help me with the graphics. I fully intend to make all the fully functional ships (minus graphics), outfits, and corresponding descs because I have already started, maybe Ill release an EVE outfit conversion or something. I would still very much like to do the TC though, and still am looking for help.

Desprez, I believe there has been mac compatibility since the release of the Trinity patch, which overhauled all the graphics in EVE. (Making it the best looking MMO in existence.)
From what I hear though, it is still a wee bit buggy, though that is being actively corrected.

Maybe in a day or two, in an attempt to shamelessly gather support, Ill post the EVE (and the TC) backstory/scenario.

The EVN Shipyard info screens are of the exact same models as the ships used in-game. But yes, the scenes are intended to make them look really nice. One thing about EVN is that it's not entirely graphics-based, a good portion of the game is focused on the gameplay and dialogue. Then again, the graphics are still pretty darn good, especially for a game of it's age.