Self-repeating missions?

I seem to remember that you can have a mission abort itself and then start itself indefinitely.
I remember doing this to constantly re-apply outfit properties as they change in flight.

The problem is, that I must be doing something wrong as it is causing the game to crash.
I also tried looping 2 missions, and that crashed too.

Basically:
128 - OnStart: d128 a128 OnAbort: s129
129 - OnStart: a129 OnAbort: s128

Am I just having a brain fart?
I KNOW something like this used to work.
There is a slower way to do this, but I want this faster way right now.

What's wrong is that OnStart for 128 is triggered by S128.

It's an Infinite Loop.

Putting it the way you did does nothing but add one more step to that loop. It's still an Infinite Loop, and That's what's crashing your game.

I've used repeating missions before, but I only ever used the OnShipDone field for starting the next recursion. That does not result in Infinite Loops, as there is a stopping condition... the Player has to Do something before it will run the next mission again.

Are you trying to modify the time progression while in flight trick?

As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, That might just provide an answer to you. NebuchadnezzaR used a mission with an invisible (zero-armor, 2 death-delay) ship, with a goal of OnDestroy, and aborts / restarts itself in the OnShipDone field.

It runs continuously, and the short delay before the invisible ship jumps in (And dies from zero armor) acts as a stopping condition, and prevents Nova from choking on an Infinite Loop.

I realize you may not Want the delay of the ship hyperspacing in, but Nova Needs that delay, or it chokes.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 01 March 2008 - 01:34 PM

Yes, the fall-back is the self-destructing dude trick.

But the thing is - this has worked in the past.
Here's a quote from a past discussion:

@nebuchadnezzar, on Nov 7 2005, 02:49 PM, said in SOLUTION - In flight adjustment of ship characteristics:

I think thats probably the fastest way to self start a mission, unless you use autoaborting missions that trigger themselves automatically (seems to run at the rate of about 3 a frame), but that probably increases system lag quite a bit.

So what is he referring to here? 3 per frame is not a self-destrucing OnShipDone dude.

I think it has to be flagged as AutoAborting, and Sxxx itself OnAbort.

Putting A128 in the OnStart field of mission 128 is not the same thing because a Set expression has to be fully evaluated (including all "nested" set expressions) before the action (Aborting or Starting) completes.

That said, inifinite loops are just asking for trouble. And horribly-sized debuglogs. Fill a twenty-gig hard drive in ten minutes flat. 🙂

@qaanol, on Mar 2 2008, 12:55 AM, said in Self-repeating missions?:

I think it has to be flagged as AutoAborting, and Sxxx itself OnAbort.

Putting A128 in the OnStart field of mission 128 is not the same thing because a Set expression has to be fully evaluated (including all "nested" set expressions) before the action (Aborting or Starting) completes.

Well that doesn't crash. It only seems to run once though.

@Balthazar:
Uh-oh. I don't keep a log. But it's probably not a good idea to tell people to turn off the log to play my TC, huh?
Looks like I'll have to use the long way.
I'm still curious why I can't get it to work though.