MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available

Heh, true. How about checking the processor and deciding whether or not to grey out based on that? 😉

Bug: Dude special advice STR#s are not stored correctly.
From bible: "the lower 12 bits of this value are added to 7500 to get the ID of the STR# resource from which to get the quote"

@guy, on Nov 4 2007, 07:33 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

Bug: Dude special advice STR#s are not stored correctly.

Fixed, thanks — it was doing it in the manner appropriate for the first two games.

With the loss of the Classic Environment in Leopard, I am extremely glad that Mission Computer exists. Thank you for continuing to improve it.

Nitpicking: Mission Computer's Info.plist file isn't encoded in UTF-8 (the DOCTYPE declaration and plist version are outdated too). This causes strange things to happen on Leopard and a lack-of-icon everywhere.

This post has been edited by MadFax7 : 07 November 2007 - 07:51 AM

@madfax7, on Nov 7 2007, 02:50 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

With the loss of the Classic Environment in Leopard, I am extremely glad that Mission Computer exists. Thank you for continuing to improve it.

Nitpicking: Mission Computer's Info.plist file isn't encoded in UTF-8 (the DOCTYPE declaration and plist version are outdated too). This causes strange things to happen on Leopard and a lack-of-icon everywhere.

I can confirm this problem. Just a minor one though.

I've spent most of the day using MC to continue my project, and I've noticed some quirky things related to shďp resource. It seems that every time I make a change to it through MC, it messes up the settings for explosion and I don't know why. I noticed this because when I opened up the shďp resource with ResEdit, the Explode 1 field has some random 3 digit number and so if I play it, if a ship gets destroyed, you don't see multiple explosion happening. Also, even if I seem to modify the explosion field itself through MC and then closing that window, when I open it, it reverts back to the setting it had before I changed it.

Here's a minor tidbit to add. You know those yellow help balloons? Can you add one for the class field in the outfit item? Also, when saving changes to plugins, they don't completely draw the icons fully and instead give me a generic document icon in which I have to go in the info to select and delete it so that the proper icon shows up.

----
PowerMac G4 400 (Sawtooth)
832MB RAM
Mac OS X 10.4.10

This post has been edited by Coraxus : 07 November 2007 - 11:26 AM

Slightly more serious problem: I can't open .rez files without Rosetta. Gave me an error about how it couldn't open some sound resource.

@madfax7, on Nov 8 2007, 01:50 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

Yeah, already reported. It's RealBasic's fault and not something he can control.

Coraxus, I suspect the icon thing you're talking about is just a matter of the Finder not refreshing the file properly and the act of trying to delete the icon forces a refresh.

This post has been edited by Guy : 07 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

@madfax7, on Nov 7 2007, 07:50 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

Thank you! 🙂

@madfax7, on Nov 7 2007, 07:50 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

Mission Computer's Info.plist file isn't encoded in UTF-8 (the DOCTYPE declaration and plist version are outdated too). This causes strange things to happen on Leopard and a lack-of-icon everywhere.

I’ll have to test it in 10.5, but I think I have a solution for this.

@coraxus, on Nov 7 2007, 10:12 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

It seems that every time I make a change to it through MC, it messes up the settings for explosion and I don't know why.

Specifically, it mistakenly sets the Explode1 field to a number exactly 128 higher than it should be, which I’ve now fixed for the coming alpha.

@coraxus, on Nov 7 2007, 10:12 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

You know those yellow help balloons? Can you add one for the class field in the outfit item?

There is one, but it had some residual text-encoding issues — I think I’ve fixed its display now.

@guy, on Nov 7 2007, 04:26 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

Slightly more serious problem: I can't open .rez files without Rosetta. Gave me an error about how it couldn't open some sound resource.

Can you show me the exact error message? If it’s one of mine, I may be able to do something about it, but the solution may be (once again) to drop native Intel support.

I take it back, it seems to be only this file. Something wrong with that error message: there's a full stop after the question mark at the end 😉

This post has been edited by Guy : 12 May 2008 - 11:54 PM

@guy, on Nov 8 2007, 06:28 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

I take it back, it seems to be only this file. Something wrong with that error message: there's a full stop after the question mark at the end 😉

Well, I’ve fixed that part, at any rate. 🙂 And restore the Cancel button that ought to be there into the bargain, and do something about the unorthodox quotation marks.

Is it the file, or the resource within it?

No idea. I can convert it to Npif and then it opens fine. I can convert it back again and it will still open fine :huh:

@guy, on Nov 9 2007, 07:28 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

I can convert it to Npif and then it opens fine.

So, you can’t open the file, but you can convert it using MissionComputer? That’s odd — it ought to be the exact same code doing both tasks.

Sorry, should have made that clearer: I used the stand-alone program to do the conversion. Just tested the utility within MC and you're right, it gives the same error. Converting it back again... doesn't seem to work this time around. I get a message when trying to open it again.

I wouldn't worry about it though, it's just one file.

This post has been edited by Guy : 12 May 2008 - 11:54 PM

@guy, on Nov 10 2007, 05:05 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

Sorry, should have made that clearer: I used the stand-alone program to do the conversion. Just tested the utility within MC and you're right, it gives the same error.

Good — for MissionComputer to convert the file but be unable to open it, something would need to be seriously wrong. I might be able to trace this problem through a precise comparison of the two importers, but unless this should occur with any other files, I suspect it may simply be a matter of an unusually encoded sound resource.

D'oh!

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 11 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

Some requests:
- Some sort of warning when a file is opened as read-only (been badly stung by that a couple of times, when the file was already open by another app).
- Some sort of warning when writing an RLE to an existing file which already contains one with the same ID.
- Looks like there's already a number of export options for RLEs so how about another one to export as complete sprite image and mask (ie, DeRLE)?

@guy, on Nov 11 2007, 07:29 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

- Some sort of warning when a file is opened as read-only (been badly stung by that a couple of times, when the file was already open by another app).

I have a vague memory of this proving significantly harder than it ought to be. The next time it happens to you, will you check and see whether ‘(locked)’ appears in the window’s title bar?

@guy, on Nov 11 2007, 07:29 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

- Some sort of warning when writing an RLE to an existing file which already contains one with the same ID.
- Looks like there's already a number of export options for RLEs so how about another one to export as complete sprite image and mask (ie, DeRLE)?

The first I’ll definitely fix. The second I’ve been meaning to do for some time, and will probably get to the next time I have the RLE viewer open.

@orcaloverbri9, on Nov 10 2007, 07:35 PM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

D'oh!

?

@david-arthur, on Nov 13 2007, 07:59 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

The next time it happens to you, will you check and see whether ‘(locked)’ appears in the window’s title bar?

Nope, nothing different in the title bar.

@david-arthur, on Nov 13 2007, 07:59 AM, said in MissionComputer 4.0 second alpha now available:

The second I’ve been meaning to do for some time, and will probably get to the next time I have the RLE viewer open.

Looking forward to it 🙂

Hi David,
First off, great tool. I love the ability to select multiple resources and delete them, this is very useful. I also like the new dialogs for the missions and ships, they make editing them much easier.
Now for my bugs, well I have only one really. It crashes... a lot. It only seems to crash when I close a window ( I've tried using it in both Rosetta and Intel Native ) and it still crashes, and since I usually have to close the window in order to save the plug ( unless I'm wrong in which case inform me )... BOOM.
That's all for now. I'll test it more later.

vers resource data isn't stored correctly
DITL editor doesn't work without Rosetta 😞

This post has been edited by Guy : 14 November 2007 - 06:17 AM