2x speed activating on its own.

Strangest bug award? Please?

Greetings, everyone. The other day, I thought I'd download Absolute Minimum instead of using my "cleaned" copies of the nova data files when I load my... ahem plug-in.

Now here's the funny part. When I loaded Nova with Absolute Minimum and my plug in the plug-ins folder, I got something reeeaaally weird. Basically, whenever a ship would start exploding, for as long as the ship was breaking apart and going up in flames, the game would automatically turn on the 2x mode. And it would turn itself off after the ship exploded. I blew a ship up while staring intently at my caps lock light and I was able to tell that there's nothing wrong with my keyboard.

What resource could be causing this? As far as I can see, the only resource missing from Absolute Minimum that I have in my data files would be the sound of ejecting escape pods...

Did I win?

Your confused nova exploring psycho,
MP

Wha?????

For the record, please provide your system stats and stuff, in case this is in fact a bug of EV Nova.

I actually think this is a bug with absolute minimum, I'll do a search and see if I can dig up the older topics.

Found it here: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php...t&p=1540000

@edwards, on Feb 26 2006, 11:53 PM, said in Bizzare bug with X2 speed:

Nova simply objects if it doesn't have a snd 129. Any snd will do, and it can be in either the data folder or the plug-ins folder, but it has to have an RID of 129.

So, Qaanol was right (I used his second hypothesis to work this out- I added Nova Sounds to AbMin, and when it fixed the bug, I started deleting things).

Edwards

So not a bug, per se, just make sure you have resources in needed places. Hopefully this will fix it.

This post has been edited by GutlessWonder : 12 November 2007 - 10:05 AM

Indeed, when the game randomly activates 2X, it is always a case of a missing 'snd ' 129 (2X hyperspace). It's usually when firing weapons, though.

There's a similar but sorta backwards issue if you're missing 128.

I have both sound 128 and 129. Sad this was already known. Oh well, to me, it seems it will happen with anything as long as you're triggering a sound resource that is missing.

EDIT: Oh, just noticed I was looking at the wrong resource. I don't have 128 or 129. Still, interesting... behavior? Firing weapons, destroying ships... so many things trigger this, haha.

This post has been edited by Mumbling Psycho : 12 November 2007 - 07:31 PM

Easy. Just fill every sound resource with a duplicate snd, doesn't matter what, to avoid bugs.