The Exploding Start Ship bug

also, frustration

I hate to admit it, but I've been plagued by two bugs since AG's inception. I've finally decided to abandon my pride and ask for help.

Bug #1:

I copied all of Nova's engine resources for use in AG. However, due to reasons beyond my understanding, the "Request Assistance/Beg for Mercy" button has never worked. When you click on it, the button stays depressed and nothing happens. You can back out by pressing escape and the game continues as usual. There doesn't seem to be anything in the debug log that helps me with this.

Bug #2:

I am occasionally forced to eject. When I am put back in ship 128, the ship has no armor and immediately explodes. It is worth noting that the ship is not meant to have shields and that when I give the ship shields the bug is fixed. Work around?

Re bug 2: Why fix it? Leave it as a 'surprise' for all who prefer escape pods over reincarnation. 😉

Re bug 2: Why fix it? Leave it as a 'surprise' for all who prefer escape pods over reincarnation.

Reply to the Reply Bug 2: Law suits 😉

Re bug 1: What happens if you press enter rather than escape? It sorta sounds like the negotiation dialog is missing.

No. For those of us brave enough to play strict play, wedeserve working excape pods.

GSN, why not give the ship 2 shield points, 0 shield recharge, and an shield generating outfit that has -2 shield points?

I don't think the shields are to blame. I have tried starting with a ship that has no shield and didn't run into this bug. But I have no idea what could make you go boom on the spot... Never ran into this.

Pressing enter has the same effect as hitting escape. Both close the hailing dialogue. It is worth noting that things work fine if "you're not in any danger" or the government of the enemy ship has the "Beg for Mercy" button disabled.

Invisible gremlin ships with FWC weapons that penetrate shields, do 100000 armor damage, and the shots are invisible?

LNSU's thing did keep me from exploding. Now I'm stuck with 0% armor, 0% fuel, unable to move, and unable to fire.

Wait.

Could it be due to the fact that I have no dialogue about being rescued when I eject? Testing now.

Where do you put the desc about getting rescued? I just realized that in my TC I can't use the eject button, and my ship is so leet that the bots aren't killing me, so I can't test it. What resource number is it?

I don't know. I can't find it.

It was mentionned somewhere in the resource guide that Guy linked the other day. I feel too lazy to search and link it, though.

Well I just un-leeted my ship and found out that, even without it, it worked for me. The desc must be optional or something.

In my sig

This post has been edited by Guy : 17 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

I actually bookmarked that, Guy. Nifty site.

Nope, adding that desc didn't fix it.

Does ship 128 have at least 1 armor?

Yeah, if a ship has zero armor then you will blow up.

Yes, it has 280 armor in fact.

Hunh. Well, I'd say give the ship one point of shields and leave it 😉

Also, make sure you have all of the STR# resources that EVN needs. Look at AbsoluteMinimum for an example.