More Names

I think by speeding up on scripting missions, I've re-tasked the part of my brain usually used for creative vocabulary to keeping mission bits in order. So here I am again, groveling at your feet for some more creative juice.

The first new ship developed in chapter 2 of Anathema is kind of an all-purpose medium class ship. Think if a Starbridge mated with, I don't know, a Pirate Carrier. The ship has 4 different major classes. These were easy to come up with: Star Cruiser, Light Cruiser, Heavy Cruiser, and Battlecruiser. But the names that I've assigned them all kind of suck. They just don't fit in right.

Currently, the working name for the ship itself is the "Excalibur," with the four classes being "Sabre," "Épee," "Rapier," and "Claymore." So sue me. It was like 3:00 a.m. when I was naming them and it was over 2 years ago. :rolleyes: I'd like to keep the names all similarly themed, but distinct. But I just want them to actually make sense in the Nova-verse.

To give you an idea of what the ships roles are, Star Cruisers are equally balanced between defense, propulsion, and weaponry. Light Cruisers sacrifice defenses for maneuverability while retaining their firepower. Heavy Cruisers sacrifice defenses for weapons but are still just as maneuverable as Star Cruisers, and Battlecruisers sacrifice speed for either defense or weaponry. I kind-of tried to work that into the names of each one, but like I said, they just don't mesh right.

Anything come to mind for anyone?

The light cruiser is easy: Stiletto. A kind of dagger, which sacrifices (wait for it) brute strength for maneuverability. The others are harder.

Star Cruiser: Scimitar

Heavy Cruiser: Machete

Battlecruiser: Broadsword

If you want to break away slightly from swords, I think a better name for the battlecruiser is the Mace or the Lance. Javelin also comes to mind, but it's very light and might be more suited for the Star Cruiser.

Battlecruiser = Claymore

Heavy Cruiser = Mace

Star Cruiser = Rapier

Light Cruiser = Dagger

Eh?

Star cruiser- Lance

Light cruiser- Arrow

Heavy cruiser- Trebuche

Battle cruiser.- Auger (not a weapon at all, but it would probably hurt if someone hit you on the head with one. 😉 )

Of course, you could throw out all set boundaries and call it "Pickle-chan" but thats just me. (Mr. Pickle, in japanese.)

Oh, and if you don't know what a Trebuche is, then look it up.

Remember, it's going to have the suffix "class". "Auger Class" doesn't really have a ring to it. 😉

@cosmic_nusiance, on Sep 13 2007, 08:51 PM, said in More Names:

Remember, it's going to have the suffix "class". "Auger Class" doesn't really have a ring to it. 😉

Spanish Class

Trebuchet would be great for the long-range variant!

So far, it looks like the whole ancient weapon thing is actually pretty popular. Is that impression correct?

And speaking of trebuchets, here is the greatest example of trebuchetism I have ever seen. I know you've probably already seen it, but it's funny nevertheless.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3y3GGpNdgdQ

Oh, Snap!

ROFLOL!

This site has a ton of name generators of various themes. I used it to generate about a hundred random pilot and ship names for use in

Spoiler

Colosseum

Spoiler tags used so zapp wouldn't have to see it. 😛

Zapp, shield your eyes! It's a... well... Uh... I can't say it out loud." "A what?" "Well, a colosseum." "AAAAAAAAAAAAARG!!!!!!!"

@crashe, on Sep 13 2007, 08:45 PM, said in More Names:

Battlecruiser = Claymore

Heavy Cruiser = Mace

Star Cruiser = Rapier

Light Cruiser = Dagger

Eh?

I agree with Crashe... except on one point.
'Mace' lacks a certain brutality of sound. Go with 'Cudgel' instead. Or if you insist on bladed implements, how about 'Cutlass'. That has a nice pirate-y sound to it. (and from the description you give, this Excalibur might as well have 'Arr!' painted on the side. I mean, what pirate wouldn't want a starbridge/carrier hybrid?).

@otter, on Sep 13 2007, 10:10 PM, said in More Names:

and from the description you give, this Excalibur might as well have 'Arr!' painted on the side. I mean, what pirate wouldn't want a starbridge/carrier hybrid?).

When I think about that, a very strange image comes to mind.... :huh:

How about Scythe?

P.S. Otter, If I ever own a Space ship, I am going to paint 'Arr!' on the side, and forever remember you. :rolleyes:

Nobody else likes Stiletto? And I'm not getting the 'Cudgel Class' thing. Remember, these are going to have Class as a suffix.

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 13 September 2007 - 09:19 PM

@cosmic_nusiance, on Sep 13 2007, 10:18 PM, said in More Names:

Nobody else likes Stiletto? And I'm not getting the 'Cudgel Class' thing. Remember, these are going to have Class as a suffix.

I liked Cudgel Class.
This is the class of ship to get if your approach to combat is blugeoning your enemies into oblivion.
😞

Yoda Almighty said:

P.S. Otter, If I ever own a Space ship, I am going to paint 'Arr!' on the side, and forever remember you.

Immortality at last!

I am Otter, writer of 'Arr!'
Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!

:blink:

Josh, I got this little gem from the site you linked:

"The Idiotic Eagle Saloon" I also got a "Slashzooka"

I think I'm in love.

Anyways, so far I'm really fond of Scimitar (starcruiser), Broadsword (heavy cruiser), Stiletto (light cruiser), Claymore (battlecruiser), and Trebuchet (long-range battlecruiser variant). But I'm always looking for more goodies!

@archon, on Sep 14 2007, 12:25 AM, said in More Names:

I think I'm in love.

:laugh:

If I ever write another bar description, that first one is going to be the bar's name.

@archon, on Sep 14 2007, 01:25 AM, said in More Names:

I think I'm in love.

Anyways, so far I'm really fond of Scimitar (starcruiser), Broadsword (heavy cruiser), Stiletto (light cruiser), Claymore (battlecruiser), and Trebuchet (long-range battlecruiser variant). But I'm always looking for more goodies!

Inspiration comes from strange places. I've inserted the following weapon into my plug:

"The official name of this weapon is the Mathias Klopmiester Corperation Number 113 Spin-Enabling Machine Gun. But everyone calls it the Slashzooka. The innards of the weapon, as well as the ammunition, are indistinguishable from those of a Mk. 1 machine gun. However, the Slashzooka adds an outer barrel surrounded by high-tech stuff (when pressed, the salesman hints that it may involve magnets) that gets the rounds spinning at extreme speeds in random directions as they leave the barrel. The resulting high-energy shrapnel is almost twice as effective against shielding, compared to the Mk. 1. It does, however, lose some accuracy and armor-piercing ability as a result."

Below, the fearsome Slashzooka in action:
Posted Image

Ok, ok, I just used ordinary chaingun rounds and ticked the 'spin weapon continuously' box. It's still funny.

This post has been edited by Otter : 14 September 2007 - 12:55 AM

Hahahaha I love it!

@archon, on Sep 14 2007, 01:25 AM, said in More Names:

I think I'm in love.

Would Ballista work better for the last one? It has more of a ring to it.

Hmm, I don't know why, but I just like the ring of Trebuchet more.

I'm still trying to come up with a way to make "auger class" work though just because I love the description. :laugh: