Does flash work at all?

I've heard some odd things about newer versions of QuickTime and Flash and so I have to ask whether Flash actually works in Nova at all. Forget about interactivity - will it even play just a simple animation? If people don't mind investigating, I'd like to hear reports about this from various systems. Please include your OS version, QT version, Nova version and (if OS X) whether PPC or Intel. Here is a simple Flash 5 animation you can test with (people with QT Pro may like to save it as .mov to see if that makes a difference). Check first that it runs in QT Player before trying Nova (you may have to change your QT preferences to "Enable Flash Playback").

This post has been edited by Guy : 21 December 2006 - 08:55 PM

Works great in QuickTime Player. 10.4.8 PPC, QuickTime 7.1.3. The restart link and sound worked and everything.

There may be a few issues with that idea... (basically be ready to have tech support, i.e. yourself, answer to enable flash in QT system prefs)

Hm, I am aware that 7.1.3 requires you to specifically enable it but any plug with flash media could easily include instructions in the read me. I'm not surprised that QT Player can play it (once enabled) but I'm still suspicious that in some cases it still might not work in Nova. Here's a plug which should add the movie to the about text so just fire up Nova, click About and see if it plays.

(edit) removed

This post has been edited by Guy : 02 August 2007 - 05:07 AM

So, uh, anyone tested this? :hopeful smile:

I tried it, but the About window wouldn't pop up.

Did you put the flash file in your plug-ins folder too? And could you please include your OS version, QT version, Nova version and (if OS X) whether PPC or Intel.

Hudson tested this a while ago, and while I may not be remembering correctly, I believe his findings were that Flash movies would play, but would have no interactivity. Look for his posts on the matter and you'll probably find more info.

That was probably prior to QT 7. I'm not interested in interactivity or not, just whether they will play.

After (and only after) enabling Flash in the QT prefs, the movie plays both in QT Player and in Nova (w. both plug and swf in Plug-Ins folder). QT 7.1.3, OS X 10.4.8 PPC, EVN 1.0.10. In Nova, the movie auto-quits at the end of playback -- the "click to replay" text button doesn't even show up on screen.

Thanks for testing, Dr. Trowel :). Good to hear it works on your setup - I'd also like a report from someone on Intel.

As in the aforementioned El Ballo topic, I seem to be cursed when it comes to Flash, it plays in QT Player OK, however when I invoke the About box animation in the main menu stops and the window is no longer the topmost one (by the title bar and shadow), but no new topmost window appears and it stays there. I can get back control by simply clicking in the main window, it resumes animation and all that, but I got nothing in the meantime.

OSX 10.4.8, Intel MacBook Core Duo 1.83 GHz 512 MB of RAM with Intel Integrated Graphics GMA 950, QT version 7.1.3.

Dang, just what I was suspicious of. Working on PPC but not Intel :(. Thanks for testing though.

This post has been edited by Guy : 03 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

@dr--trowel, on Jan 2 2007, 03:52 AM, said in Does flash work at all?:

After (and only after) enabling Flash in the QT prefs, the movie plays both in QT Player and in Nova (w. both plug and swf in Plug-Ins folder). QT 7.1.3, OS X 10.4.8 PPC, EVN 1.0.10. In Nova, the movie auto-quits at the end of playback -- the "click to replay" text button doesn't even show up on screen.

Would you mind doing another test for me? Try the same thing in both full screen and windowed mode and tell me if there's any difference.

@guy, on Jan 25 2007, 12:05 AM, said in Does flash work at all?:

Would you mind doing another test for me? Try the same thing in both full screen and windowed mode and tell me if there's any difference.

No difference between running Nova full screen and running it in a window.

Hm, I've managed to do some tests on an OS 9 machine here and... ahh wait, that fixed it :). Now, do have any windows volunteers?

<snip> Ah dang, wrong topic. Ignore me!

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 26 January 2007 - 12:51 PM