Help with Plug-in... (evo)

Dudes don't show up...

I'll upload the plug later if I need to, but my problem is that my dudes just don't how up.
They all add up to the 100% probability, and I'm using developers map.
The systems and spobs are fine (in my tester)
The ships in-system just don't show up.

I know it's not the ship sprites, because I can hire them all in the bar and buy them all in the shipyard.
I haven't made any plug-in flets, but when I paste the stock flets into my plug, the ships show up properly (not affiliated correctly of course, but functional.)

Does anyone know what the dude problem could be?

(Actually, I might make sure all the visbits are -1, but I'm nearly positive they all are.)

I used EVO Developers Map, but I double checked everything in ResEdit and the numbers appear to be right. (haven't used a fine-toothed comb yet, but the random syst and dude resources I checked were fine.

Thanks for your help.

@-redchigh-, on Oct 19 2006, 07:06 PM, said in Help with Plug-in... (evo):

I'll upload the plug later if I need to, but my problem is that my dudes just don't how up.
They all add up to the 100% probability, and I'm using developers map.
The systems and spobs are fine (in my tester)
The ships in-system just don't show up.
I know it's not the ship sprites, because I can hire them all in the bar and buy them all in the shipyard.
I haven't made any plug-in flets, but when I paste the stock flets into my plug, the ships show up properly (not affiliated correctly of course, but functional.)

Does anyone know what the dude problem could be?

(Actually, I might make sure all the visbits are -1, but I'm nearly positive they all are.)

I used EVO Developers Map, but I double checked everything in ResEdit and the numbers appear to be right. (haven't used a fine-toothed comb yet, but the random syst and dude resources I checked were fine.

Thanks for your help.

**That's kind of strange since I seem to remember having difficulty making EVO build and display fleets correctly. But I learned with EVO its usually the most simple thing you overlook; and I'm almost hesitant to suggest it; but have you checked the number of ships supposed to be in system? Since you probably have and this isn't the problem I'm not sure what else to suggest. If I recall correctly EVO Developer's Map dumps in all the default values for you; i.e all visbits at -1, ships in system 0, etc. So like you said, go back and check all the visbits, including on the ships. Then go back and check the individual dude resources, sometimes things just slip by. Make a test system that you can mess around with and try to zero in on where the problem is.

_bomb

Thanks for the advice, and I expected that advice. All ship numbers are set to 5, all the dudes have descriptions set, booty set, and comm display set. (picture and message)

If anyone is willing to look at the data, I can upload it.

I've been using the starting system as a tester, so I can open the same fresh pilot file every time... I'll keep tinkering around I guess.

@-redchigh-, on Oct 22 2006, 07:15 AM, said in Help with Plug-in... (evo):

If anyone is willing to look at the data, I can upload it.

I think that would be best.

I feel kind of stupid now, but it seems that the default for Res-Edit is to fill in blank spaces with 0 rather than -1. Im sure you see the problem. The visbits were mostly set to 0 rather than -1. Bomb, you were right. It was a simple yet easily overlooked problem. (Especially since I hadn't looked at the EVO bible in a while, trying to act off of memory.)

Mission Computer works for EV/O too, just FYI.

@-redchigh-, on Oct 22 2006, 06:47 PM, said in Help with Plug-in... (evo):

I feel kind of stupid now, but it seems that the default for Res-Edit is to fill in blank spaces with 0 rather than -1. Im sure you see the problem. The visbits were mostly set to 0 rather than -1. Bomb, you were right. It was a simple yet easily overlooked problem. (Especially since I hadn't looked at the EVO bible in a while, trying to act off of memory.)

**I've made that mistake a million times. Usually its a problem between third party plug-in programs and ResEdit; often those programs will fill in some fields for newly created resources, leaving ResEdit to fill in the gaps with default values (or doing it themselves) More often than not it works just fine, but occasionally the difference between 0 and -1 becomes a lot more substantial than it might often be. Just one of the many quirks that makes EVO an easy but frustrating engine to develop for.:)

Glad to help though.

_bomb