Legal rating, legal record, good & evil points...

Getting really confused

Ok, here is what I'm doing. The player's initial record with my main government (id 128, if it changes anything) is set to 1 in the chär resource. If I look at the pilot log after starting a new pilot, this is indeed what I'm getting. However, first problem: I can see on the map that I'm considered a citizen - shouldn't that require a legal rating of 4, as the Bible claims?

Then, I tried creating a test mission which boost the rating by 1 (it's an autoabortable one with the "give payment on auto-abort flag set, if that changes anything), but it doesn't seem to have any effects. Or is it because the mission "status change" field gives out good/evil points and not legal record points, so I would need to run the mission ten (that gov's legal tolerance) times to get one more legal record point?

Then, I'm still not sure of what the necessary legal record field for missions refers too either - legal record or good/evil points?

My mission system depends heavily on records - I want many missions to become available when you reach a certain record, and I want those to match label changes as far as possible (ie, Citizen/Good Citizen/ect) to make it easier for the player to know when he has progressed enough to get the next one. So far, I'm having great difficulties getting it right...

This post has been edited by Kinniken : 13 October 2006 - 05:17 AM

The displayed legal ratings are obtained by multiplying your actual rating by the govt's Crime Tolerance.

@guy, on Oct 13 2006, 12:02 PM, said in Legal rating, legal record, good & evil points...:

The displayed legal ratings are obtained by multiplying your actual rating by the govt's Crime Tolerance.

Yeah, I know that - in theory. But my initial legal rating (set in chär and displayed in the pilot log) is still of 1, and shouldn't that be too low to get the citizen tag?

Oh, and to make sure... Here is my understanding of what is using displayed legal ratings and what is using the good/evil points:

Legal rating (what is shown in the pilot log, equal to good/evil points multiplied by gov's tolerance):
- pilot log
- labels (citizen, offender, ect)
- necessary rating for a mission
- mission rewards

Good/evil points:
- penalties in the gövt resource

Is that correct or am I mixing things up?

Ok, got it sorted out. Was badly wrong. The real list is that one:

Legal rating (equal to good/evil points multiplied by gov's tolerance):
- labels (citizen, offender, ect)

Good/evil points:
- pilot log
- necessary rating for a mission
- mission rewards
- penalties in the gövt resource

Turns out that the legal rating as shown in the label list is only used for that purpose. Everywhere else, it's the points.

As for the labels, the following table from the Bible seems to be right:

0 Clean
4 Citizen
16 Good Citizen
64 Upstanding Citizen
256 Leading Citizen
1024 Model Citizen
4096 Virtuous Citizen

Except that a line like "4 Citizen" doesn't mean that Citizen is from 4 to 16, but from 0 to 4... It's the upper limit. I suppose this is hardly news for the old timers here, but it took me a little while to get sorted out 😉

Oh, and as a footnote I checked while doing this that mission rewards do apply throughout the Galaxy (unlike killing ships which only affects nearby systems). This is excellent news for me 😄

This post has been edited by Kinniken : 13 October 2006 - 03:40 PM

Ah yes, see my post here about those labels. The negative scale in the bible forgot about "No Convictions".