Having issues making spins.....

ok, so i just bought myself a Macbook Pro (the $2499 one) and decided i'd try my hand at EVN plugin developing. i have 71 individual jpegs (5-degree rotation, went with that number since it seems there are a number of ships that use it) of a ship, and i cannot for the life of me get any of the frames -> single-image apps to work. ENrle complains about source or just sits there iwth a blank box that says 'encoding rle8' for several minutes. Spinn App (all versions, win and mac) leaves me with a pict file that nothing (windows or mac) can open. Mission computer flat-out refuses to allow me to select any files at all when i hit "chose image" and everything that requires classic i can't seem to run (why the hell don't macs come with classic anymore???)

Okay, first off, a MacBook Pro comes with an Intel Chip instead of a PowerPC chip, so it takes an emulator to run any program from a PowerPC chip ( that means all classic programs ), and Apple doesn't support this in Classic. Also, it sounds like your pictures are corrupted, otherwise my program ( SpinApp, to which I've made an update to last night, check my site for more details ) would've made a clean picture. So it really just sounds like your original pictures are either A) corrupted, B ) in a weird format other than what it specified by the extension, or C) has some sort of special compression. That is what I can tell.

Edit: Invision Boards suck, so I can't put 🆒, but I have to put B )

Edit: Also, it should be 72 jpgs, as most spins start with 0.

This post has been edited by EVWeb : 27 September 2006 - 07:09 PM

@evweb, on Sep 27 2006, 05:05 PM, said in Having issues making spins.....:

Okay, first off, a MacBook Pro comes with an Intel Chip instead of a PowerPC chip, so it takes an emulator to run any program from a PowerPC chip ( that means all classic programs ), and Apple doesn't support this in Classic. Also, it sounds like your pictures are corrupted, otherwise my program ( SpinApp, to which I've made an update to last night, check my site for more details ) would've made a clean picture. So it really just sounds like your original pictures are either A) corrupted, B ) in a weird format other than what it specified by the extension, or C) has some sort of special compression. That is what I can tell.

Edit: Invision Boards suck, so I can't put 🆒, but I have to put B )

Edit: Also, it should be 72 jpgs, as most spins start with 0.

i am aware of the intel chip, that's why i bought it, so i can keep my windows junk. i just assumed that apple would have included some sort of emulation.

ok, yeah, having 72 made a difference (silly me) now to try and get it into rle format......

oh, and how do i tell spin app to make a mask? i dont see that option

This post has been edited by Edwin| : 27 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

@edwin-, on Sep 28 2006, 12:43 PM, said in Having issues making spins.....:

i am aware of the intel chip, that's why i bought it, so i can keep my windows junk. i just assumed that apple would have included some sort of emulation.

No, this is far too impractical. Or rather it would require far more work than it's worth to get anything close to reasonable performance.

This post has been edited by Guy : 28 September 2006 - 12:32 AM

The image must have an alpha channel for it to extract a mask. It cannot extract a mask from nothing.

@evweb, on Sep 27 2006, 05:53 PM, said in Having issues making spins.....:

The image must have an alpha channel for it to extract a mask. It cannot extract a mask from nothing.

Why not put in an option for it to take all pure black in the image and make a mask out of that? It wouldn't be perfect, but it would certainly work in most cases.

Edwards

well, i have a shďp resource, a spin resource that points to me rleD and rle8, and the appropriate picts (though they are blank) but i crash. i used to do a whole lot of fooling around with ev and evo, but ihave never made a plug in evn....Here is the plug so it can be looked over. i know i am probably missing something huge, but have no clue what.

You're using a spin instead of a shan. You should use shans for ships. Also, you don't need the blank picts.

Here is a fixed version: B5

Simple - That would take work on my part. DUH.

ah, i'll remember that.

thanks.

ah, i'll remember that.

thanks.

so would making the app to begin with.

Yeah, but this would be even more work.

What software are you using to write it?

IIRC it's written in Java.

That's not what I was asking.

Unfortunately Classic indeed doesn't work at all on Intel Macs, as Rosetta (which emulates on a user process-by-process basis) cannot emulate either a whole virtual platform and and its hosted OS (OS9), nor Classic apps since they require OS9. It was clear from the moment Steve announced the Intel transition (though I admit it required some between-the-lines reading of the Rosetta section of the Universal Binary Programming Guidelines). That's why I set up quite early to work on Rezilla Custom.

@guy, on Sep 29 2006, 10:59 PM, said in Having issues making spins.....:

That's not what I was asking.

i.e. it's not really relevant what he's writing it with...any text editor will do.

Relevant to... making it extract a mask from the black in the sprite? No, not at all, I was just curious.