[ANN] SpacePort 1.2 Beta 2 Now Available

Someone should pay me for this crap.

Yay! New version! Now go out and test it so it wasn't a waste of time!

Known issues:
- outf TechLevels of 32767 stay at 32767
- all the issues with the explosion fields remain
- ships with shields < 100 still have shield recharge
- desc 1900 is still 1900
- AlwaysPerses still have only 25% probability (I guess)
- type 2 guidance weapons aren't set to fire from guided exit points
There are probably other things I forgot too.

But I fixed a TON of stuff:
- oopses with a spob of -2 are now converted to crons; the corresponding strings are converted as well.
- "remove prepaid outfit item" now adds Dxxx to OnFail as well as OnAbort
- GuidedTurn now gives proper values
- misn flag 0x1000 (critical) now sets DisplayWeight to 10
- weap resources are now the proper size
- descs now convert properly, including the intro desc
- the NilObjectExceptions when clicking cancel in the drag-and-drop save dialog are now gone
- the date is now always in English
- outf short names are now properly set
- govt target, comm, and medium names are now properly set
I think there was some other random stuff I don't remember. Could be wrong.

Let me know if you encounter any issues I missed or any new issues.

Enjoy, and PM/email/IM me for a address you can send gifts to.

Download

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 25 July 2006 - 10:06 AM

A little thing: the server does not seem to be well set up, as when I click the link I see the file as text in a new window, and when I right-click (ctrl-click if you don't have a multi-button mouse, or two digits-click if you have a recent trackpad) and save as, it insists on adding a .txt extension.

And don't you think I should get paid for ViewRLE and Rezilla Custom? 😉 Which reminds me, I submitted ViewRLE 1.0.1 to the add-on files a few days ago, besides being Intel-native, it fixes a few bugs and adds an about window. Now you just have to wait for it to appear...

As we're into random development news, Maelstrom GPL can be compiled to be Intel-native. I did it. Wonderful, heh?

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 25 July 2006 - 12:04 PM

w00t! Can't check it out right now but I will do as soon as I can. 🙂

@zacha-pedro, on Jul 26 2006, 05:03 AM, said in [ANN] SpacePort 1.2 Beta 2 Now Available:

A little thing: the server does not seem to be well set up, as when I click the link I see the file as text in a new window, and when I right-click (ctrl-click if you don't have a multi-button mouse, or two digits-click if you have a recent trackpad) and save as, it insists on adding a .txt extension.

Isn't that just an issue with Safari and/or .sitx extensions?

@zacha-pedro, on Jul 26 2006, 05:03 AM, said in [ANN] SpacePort 1.2 Beta 2 Now Available:

As we're into random development news, Maelstrom GPL can be compiled to be Intel-native. I did it. Wonderful, heh?

Hah, sorry to spoil your fun but you're not the first. I downloaded an Intel Maelstrom from somewhere once before. 😛

This post has been edited by Guy : 25 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

Maybe it's a .si txt extension. 😄

@guy, on Jul 26 2006, 01:20 AM, said in [ANN] SpacePort 1.2 Beta 2 Now Available:

Isn't that just an issue with Safari and/or .sitx extensions?

Oops, you're right, If I upload a sitx file to my webspace it does the same thing. However, in some other places I am able to download sitxs without this problem so I suppose these sitxes are tagged with some more data that identifies it as NOT a text file.

Hah, sorry to spoil your fun but you're not the first. I downloaded an Intel Maelstrom from somewhere once before. 😛

I never thought I was the first (I saw a mention somewhere in the 'Net: someone said in some comments "Maelstrom ( I actually own a copy that is intel, don't know who made it but it works)"), but I found nowhere to download it, and most obviously this isn't known enough around this place. I might try and upload a suitable build (i.e. one that does not rely on SDL and SDL_net to be in Library/Frameworks) for y'all to enjoy (not that the PPC version is badly emulated, but we might as well use native stuff whenever we can).

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 26 July 2006 - 02:52 AM

@zacha-pedro, on Jul 26 2006, 07:52 PM, said in [ANN] SpacePort 1.2 Beta 2 Now Available:

Oops, you're right, If I upload a sitx file to my webspace it does the same thing. However, in some other places I am able to download sitxs without this problem so I suppose these sitxes are tagged with some more data that identifies it as NOT a text file.

If you click the link to open it in a new window and wait til it loads then you can save it. The suggested name will have the .txt extension but it's easier to remove here than having to get info on the downloaded file.

@zacha-pedro, on Jul 26 2006, 07:52 PM, said in [ANN] SpacePort 1.2 Beta 2 Now Available:

I never thought I was the first (I saw a mention somewhere in the 'Net: someone said in some comments "Maelstrom ( I actually own a copy that is intel, don't know who made it but it works)"), but I found nowhere to download it, and most obviously this isn't known enough around this place. I might try and upload a suitable build (i.e. one that does not rely on SDL and SDL_net to be in Library/Frameworks) for y'all to enjoy (not that the PPC version is badly emulated, but we might as well use native stuff whenever we can).

I stumbled on it here one day while looking for Intel QT codecs.

So, has anyone actually managed to download it and try it?

Oh, sorry about that. No, it does not crash on me or something like that. It still has this problem that when it converts a pre-1.0.2 Override plug, it thinks it's an EVC plug and some things are ignored (say, seeker flags) and other stuff filled in (say, IR jamming vulnerability when guidance is 2). The converted plug is going to have to be massaged a bit more to work anyway, so I'm going to need more time to completely look inside it and tell you what's good (and what's wrong).

(btw Guy I don't really like this way, some info may be lost by having it be text in Safari, then only saved; anyway you don't have to do Get Info... to remove the extension if you have set them to always show up :p. I also kinda like how the page for Intel Maelstrom says it should support the rather limited set of sound and graphic mods available on Sam Lantiga's old Maelstrom site, when I wrote a complete guide to converting them from the original Mac mods found on the Maelstrom add-on files, which, oddly enough, brings us back to the matter at hand, that is of converting files for a new engine).

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 26 July 2006 - 11:53 AM

@zacha-pedro, on Jul 26 2006, 12:52 PM, said in [ANN] SpacePort 1.2 Beta 2 Now Available:

Oh, sorry about that. No, it does not crash on me or something like that. It still has this problem that when it converts a pre-1.0.2 Override plug, it thinks it's an EVC plug and some things are ignored (say, seeker flags) and other stuff filled in (say, IR jamming vulnerability when guidance is 2).

Yeah, I doubt that's going to get fixed, mainly because of the rather annoying changes that would be necessary in order to do so. You're better off just opening the resources with EVO 1.0.2 templates so they're the proper size.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, there is an easy way to do it...since everything is added at the end, if I just have it allocate an EVO 1.0.2 resource-sized block, the end will be filled with 0s. Hopefully this will be done in beta 3.

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 26 July 2006 - 05:42 PM

Okay, got a chance to check this out. I have to say, nice work on the crons - they're a fairly complex conversion. However oopses with MissionBit 1xxx or 2xxx are supposed to be a little simpler than the others: Random should equal Freq and it should just test for that first bit and not use a new bit at all. Speaking of which, it might be good to note in the log that some oopses have been converted to crons and list the new bits used. Also, I'd probably set the name of the new STR#s to the name of the oops/cron rather than the content of the string.
And a couple of known issues you didn't mention:
- outfs are not compatible with Rezilla templates (due to ModTypes = 0)
- Output log only works once per launch and never by drag-n-drop

The outfit tech level is probably the most important thing remaining. Once something's done about that, I'd say it's 'safe' to convert plugins with it and use them with the port 🙂
(EVO plugs at least. I've done no research on EV behaviour so it might be an entirely different story)

This post has been edited by Guy : 28 July 2006 - 09:03 PM

Egh. I'll get these done soon, I promise. Almost all the things I promised are quite simple fixes (exceptions being log problems and EVO < 1.0.2 support). Expect an update sometime next week (and I'm not lying this time). The AlwaysPers thing has been fixed, albeit not yet tested.

The crons I tested thoroughly - it's nice to know it worked out, except for the 1xxx and 2xxx problem. I did wonder about those while I was working on it...

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 29 July 2006 - 07:28 AM