Homeworld 2

EV Nova-ized

I was wondering if it was possible to make a total conversion for Homeworld 2 that adds Escape Velocity Nova ships and weapons. I mean, there are plenty of talented plug-makers here, and this would be an amazing test of their skills. This idea may be severely rejected by.... everyone, but I think it's worth a try to mention it.

Please post your comments or critiques here. πŸ™‚

(EDIT) Heh.... I just thought that if this idea is accepted and acted upon, there's your EV4 multiplayer/online 3D game! (/EDIT)

This post has been edited by Nerd : 15 April 2006 - 04:45 PM

That would be nice and good (I wish you the best of luck if you decide to actually engage in this endeavour) but for one thing: it would no longer be EV (for a number of reasons exposed over the years that I hope I don't need to state again).

@zacha-pedro, on Apr 15 2006, 03:48 PM, said in Homeworld 2:

That would be nice and good (I wish you the best of luck if you decide to actually engage in this endeavour) but for one thing: it would no longer be EV (for a number of reasons exposed over the years that I hope I don't need to state again).

..but it would be awesome! Instead of being the one player on who (or is that whom?) the fate of the universe hinges, you could be the master Fedaration strategist, the reckless Auroran commander...

In fact, if someone could get the ATMOS crew to give the modding team the original 3d models, it could be done quite easily.

@darth_vader, on Apr 16 2006, 04:39 PM, said in Homeworld 2:

..but it would be awesome! Instead of being the one player on who (or is that whom?) the fate of the universe hinges, you could be the master Fedaration strategist, the reckless Auroran commander...

In fact, if someone could get the ATMOS crew to give the modding team the original 3d models, it could be done quite easily.

The original models would be of very little help - all told. You'll be wanting ΓΌber-low poly models, which would mean rebuilding everything from scratch.

On the mechanics of HomeWorld modding, there's no way you could re-produce Nova. The only thing you could do, is create a Nova-esque shoreline set in ATMOS's universe.

Ultimately though, EVN and HW2's genres and game mechanics are polar-oposites. It just wouldn't work. It could be done, but whether the task would be worth it, is a very different matter. This very topic has been talked about before; it didn't go anywhere then, and it most likely won't go anywhere now...

Oh, well...

But, if this can happen, and I'm not saying it will, how long do you think it'll take with a dedicated crew, and whatnot?

Well, with a dedicated team, learning the new engine conventions, re-modelling everything, balancing... If we start now, it could be done by March twenty-never, two-thousand-suckit.

<_<
Real helpful.

Helpful; no.
Amusing; possibly.
Realistic; definitely.

I endorse Hudson's estimate.

Alright, I get it!

Die topic, die!

I believe I've heard pipeline rant about Homeworld 2 before.

Yeah, probably a good year of work if you had people that actually knew what they were doing. Course that also depends on what you are really looking for...

@shrout1, on Apr 17 2006, 05:33 PM, said in Homeworld 2:

Yeah, probably a good year of work if you had people that actually knew what they were doing. Course that also depends on what you are really looking for...

Just fighting. With EVNova ships. That seems good enough for me. No storylines have to be made, just use the original one. Not all Nova ships have to be added, either. I just want to be able to have a fleet of Starbridges. πŸ˜›

Well, if you're framing it like that; you couldn't reproduce Nova's story lines in HW; the engine just isn't rigged to deal with it, you really would have to re-write the entire game. HW is fundamentally, a strategic, fleet-based, resource management game. Nova is none of those things. You don't fly any of the ships, you only direct them to targets. You can't outfit your craft as you see fit. You have no choice in mission threads, you're just told what your goals are...

Ultimately, if the only cross-over you're looking for is ships and weapons without any of the associated context, why bother? Why don't you just play HomeWorld 2 online?

Obviously he loves nova...alot.

I can understand the appeal, Nova has a lot of neat ships, and it would be kinda cool to have a few fleets go attack each other in 3D. But that's basically as far as it could go.

@mrxak, on Apr 18 2006, 02:44 PM, said in Homeworld 2:

I can understand the appeal, Nova has a lot of neat ships, and it would be kinda cool to have a few fleets go attack each other in 3D. But that's basically as far as it could go.

That's all alot of people want, probably, including me.....

The problem is, this is a forum for EV development, not Homeworld 2 development.

@mrxak, on Apr 19 2006, 12:59 AM, said in Homeworld 2:

The problem is, this is a forum for EV development, not Homeworld 2 development.

And now you know how ignorant I am. πŸ˜„

@nerd, on Apr 19 2006, 04:35 PM, said in Homeworld 2:

And now you know how ignorant I am. πŸ˜„

...there's a difference between ignorance and willful idiocy...

πŸ˜‰