visibly rotating turrets

I don't quite follow what you're trying to do there, Hamster. Isn't the problem that you don't know which direction the ship is facing when you fire?

...crap. You're too smart for me.

Augh, so obvious! iFail.

I'll work on the circular turret now, and shut me mouth. 😞

Okay, I'm making a striped calibration sprite to get the pixel offset just right. This could take a few more days of tweaking to get working.

@hamster, on Mar 21 2006, 08:14 AM, said in visibly rotating turrets:

Okay, I'm making a striped calibration sprite to get the pixel offset just right. This could take a few more days of tweaking to get working.

Very strange.... I posted a reply, and it vanished.... Something to do with implementing the new board features that I just noticed, perhaps. Anyway, it said (roughly):

Please post that calibration sprite, Hamster! You'll have the thanks of this particular lazy bum, who has been meaning to make such a thing to guide hand-painting of engine flares for quite a long time. If I understand what you are talking about, your striped sprite will be just the ticket. 🙂

(I'm not sure why you need such a guide, though -- I thought you used some Flash program to do your rotation for you. Can't you just change the center of rotation on your sprite, either directly or by adding blank space either in front of or behind the visible turret before you rotate it? Excuse me if I'm missing something -- I haven't tried the plug yet.)

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 21 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

Dr. Trowel: I'll post the sprite for y'all to see, but the reason I need to use it is; I don't know the pixel offset that the turret is moving right now. I centered the turret, but apparently it has to move a little bit away from the ship when it displays. Once I find that, I can shift the turret in Flash the corresponding number of pixels and everything should look perfect.

@hamster, on Mar 21 2006, 07:49 PM, said in visibly rotating turrets:

Dr. Trowel: I'll post the sprite for y'all to see, but the reason I need to use it is; I don't know the pixel offset that the turret is moving right now. I centered the turret, but apparently it has to move a little bit away from the ship when it displays. Once I find that, I can shift the turret in Flash the corresponding number of pixels and everything should look perfect.

STATUS REPORT: Last few pixel-tweaks over the next few days, and the sprite should be all ready. The calibration sprite will be finalized then too.

Calibration plug.

After a bit of guess 'n' checking, I found the offset required to be 8 pixels.

Rotating Turret Demo v.0.3

Still a bit of jitter, but that's Flash's/Nova engine's fault. There is also still a mysterious shadow that I'm not sure how to get rid of. But it works much more nicely. 🙂