New Plug Ins, how should they be announced?

what is the point in announcing them?

Hello everyone,

I've been reading about a lot of TC/plug-ins others have been working on and it got me thinking about a larger question. What is the best way to bring a new plugin to our group, and what information should be brought? I suppose my intention is to help developers bring something more than, "I'm working on a new plug in, it will be the greatest ever. I just need a few people to help get me started!" I think it would be beneficial to all if we had a loose idea, if not a concensus, on what is most helpful, and what bare bones information should be brought if you're going to bother telling everyone you're working on a TC/plugin.

So, here's my input. I think its important to be very clear and concise about what you're trying to do. Tell us what the purpose of your plugin is, and define what you want to accomplish with it. Here is an example that I think would work fine.

"I am making a new plugin. This plugin will introduce a new government, including ships, outfits, and planets to go with it. The government will integrate seamlessly with the rest of EVN, and have appropriate storylines and missions to go along with this new government. The new government will be integrated into the other EVN storylines, and their technology and such integrated seamlessly into the rest of the game. For example, there will be Federation Cruisers with 'new government outfits detected.' Although the new government will be powerful, on par with the Polaris, it will be balanced."

In my opinion, this accurately describes what is trying to be accomplished and it clearly defines what changes are going to be made.

In addition, if it is your goal to solicit help, I think it is important to explain clearly what you are willing to do, and more importantly, what you need help on. I've seen this done very well by some, and not so well with others. But people in this community are a lot more likely to respond to "I need someone to create 35 new landing pictures based on provided landing descriptions," than, "I need a graphics guy," or "anyone that would like to help is welcome."

Finally, to help get the community properly interested, I think it would be helpful to give an idea of what you've completed, what you intend to still complete, and a time frame, with periodic updates, as to when you think you'll finally be done. Again, specificity is key. For example, the following would be ideal.

"I've worked out all the new ships an outfits for my new government, including description files. I still need to render the ships, make still images of the ships including targeting, purchase images, and the large background sized pictures. I also need to make images for the new outfits. I have a loose storyline mapped out, but a concrete version needs to be worked. The missions for the new government need to be made. I also need to add bits and pieces of the new government into the existing EVN so that it all fits seamlessly together.

I expect A to take B days, and X to take Y days. That puts me at about 11% complete, with an expected completion date of April 1st, 200-never."

This is just my opinion, but I think it might be helpful to both the plugin creator, and the rest of us, if we have a better idea of what you want, HOW you're doing it, and what specifically you need help with. What does everyone else think?

SeattleLightning, on Apr 25 2005, 02:54 PM, said:

<snip>
View Post

I also think that when people come to these forums asking for help, they should be a lot more appreciative when they are given it.

Too many times (more times recently than ever before) I've heard people ask for someone to help with their plug, and then when someone's offered to give up their time to assist, they have been told "Ok, you can help" or "Ok, I'll let you help". Surely if you're asking someone for assistance, you should be grateful when you are given it. There is a difference between being 'cool and breezy' and being ungrateful.

I'm glad you guys brought this up because I had an idea for a TC not so long ago, I'll see in the near future if anyone would be interested in it.

I think a summary on the type of story the TC is, what kind of help you need, and if people are even interested, I think the job giver and the job taker should both be grateful for anything that happens with the TC. a good relationship should be in place with the TC team but it should still be known who's the boss....er...I'm rambling, anyways they should be clear on what their doing and what they want.

The best time to announce a TC is when it's finished. That way you avoid the endless vapourware accusations.

I think it's perfectly fine to say "I'm working on a plugin and I need help with..." or "what do you think of the idea..." but mentioning TC is asking for disbelief.

Regards

Martin

Martin Turner, on Apr 25 2005, 06:08 PM, said:

The best time to announce a TC is when it's finished. That way you avoid the endless vapourware accusations.

I think it's perfectly fine to say "I'm working on a plugin and I need help with..." or "what do you think of the idea..." but mentioning TC is asking for disbelief.

Regards

Martin
View Post

Ne'er a truer word spoken.

Martin Turner, on Apr 25 2005, 06:08 PM, said:

View Post

How about "ultra big plug-in" or "quasi-TC"? 😉 (quasi-TC is basically a way of reaching towards people who tend to think anything that isn't a Total Conversion isn't worth looking at, and thanks UE_R&D for that)

Pace (haldora), on Apr 25 2005, 05:29 PM, said:

How about "ultra big plug-in" or "quasi-TC"? 😉 (quasi-TC is basically a way of reaching towards people who tend to think anything that isn't a Total Conversion isn't worth looking at, and thanks UE_R&D for that)
View Post

Why mention its size at all?

Of course, for all those people who already have done it isn't going to be a big issue, but every single major plugin announcer on this forum that I can remember had to go through a hail of vapourware posts.

The only two reasons that big companies announce products well ahead of time is that they have to satisfy their shareholders and they hope they can create market excitement for the ultimate release. But this as often as not backfires.

Create your plugin, test it, release it. Then market it.

Pace (haldora), on Apr 25 2005, 01:29 PM, said:

How about "ultra big plug-in" or "quasi-TC"? 😉
View Post

Galactica Wars: The Legend Bigins

Ultra big plugin, miles of storyline text, more megabytes than any other plug ever made!!

Mispeled, on Apr 25 2005, 04:00 PM, said:

Ultra big plugin, miles of storyline text, more megabytes than any other plug ever made!!
View Post

I know you're Sn is Mispeled, but "the legend bigins" is not an auspicious Beging to a large plug-in....

Ultra big plugin, miles of storyline text, more megabytes than any other plug ever made

More typos, too.

While we're at it, exactly how do you define a mile of storyline text? If you blew Retribution's text up to 2000-point font and made it all one line, you might have quite a few miles on your hand. If you blew it up further to 2000000-point font, you might be able to bridge the gap between the Earth and the Moon. If you blew a single letter up to somewhere around the magnitude of 10^30-point font, you could cover the galaxy with it. It's all subjective.

This post has been edited by UE_Research & Development: 25 April 2005 - 06:01 PM

Martin Turner, on Apr 25 2005, 08:36 PM, said:

Why mention its size at all?

Of course, for all those people who already have done it isn't going to be a big issue, but every single major plugin announcer on this forum that I can remember had to go through a hail of vapourware posts.

The only two reasons that big companies announce products well ahead of time is that they have to satisfy their shareholders and they hope they can create market excitement for the ultimate release. But this as often as not backfires.

Create your plugin, test it, release it. Then market it.
View Post

mmm, I missed the Hail of vapourware posts.... Lucky me

That sounds pretty funny. Can I have a Galactic War? Put a Civil in the middle and you got yourself a deal! Sold! To the butt-ugly man in the back in the orange bow tie and purple/yellow jacket (quite tacky, I might add.) Oh, wait..... That doesn't sound right...

Satori, on Apr 25 2005, 06:46 PM, said:

I know you're Sn is Mispeled, but "the legend bigins" is not an auspicious Beging to a large plug-in....
View Post

While on the topic of holepunchers... 😛

Holepunchers? I don't get it...