Is this possible with the engine.

remove parts from a ship

I want to make a weapon that seems like it steals a part from another ship. The part is supposed to be flapping with it´s wings. So i need it to be a Shän. Or a Spin that´s alwasy fired in the same direction.

The actual first weapon is not a problem. It´ll just be a black dot which is guided and hits instantly.

The problem is what happens next.
I have never tested past this point. And i´m unsure of what is possible.

Er, I don't quite understand what you want to do. Could you explain it a bit more?

I want a ship to fire a weapon.
When this weapon is fired a "part" of the other ship flies away.
It´s supposed to seem like a ship is stealing something from the other ship.

The thing that is stolen, will in what i need to use it as have flapping wings.
This will only look good if it is a ship(shän) or a Spin which only ever flies towards the same direction.

Unless having a part stolen will affect the behaviour or performance of the target ship, a submuntioned rocket that doesn't explode until it is far away should work fine.

Qaanol, on Apr 14 2005, 10:04 PM, said:

Unless having a part stolen will affect the behaviour or performance of the target ship, a submuntioned rocket that doesn't explode until it is far away should work fine.
View Post

Can a submunitioned rocket turn into a fighter?

If not.. how does that help me?

modesty_blaise_us, on Apr 14 2005, 11:48 PM, said:

Can a submunitioned rocket turn into a fighter?

If not.. how does that help me?
View Post

Couldn't you just make it spin the sprite of the submunition continuously as an animation? You can't really make it a ship. It would have to be launched from the ship you're firing at and the only way to force that to happen is by making it an escape ship and killing the target.

Or... maybe you could make the weapon you fire be a fighter that does some kind of suicide attack and then escapes into the new ship.

Guy, on Apr 15 2005, 02:05 AM, said:

Couldn't you just make it spin the sprite of the submunition continuously as an animation? You can't really make it a ship. It would have to be launched from the ship you're firing at and the only way to force that to happen is by making it an escape ship and killing the target.

Or... maybe you could make the weapon you fire be a fighter that does some kind of suicide attack and then escapes into the new ship.
View Post

1. This will not look good. Because the thing i want to be removed from the ship should look like if it has gotten wings and is flying away.
If it is a Spin it cannot turn. And will fly in a random direction.

2. So if the ship i fire at, has an escape ship. Then it will work.. 😄

3.Won´t that give the opposite effect?

This post has been edited by modesty_blaise_us : 15 April 2005 - 04:21 AM

1. So the direction matters?

2. Yeah, but the ship will be killed. The idea was just to steal a part, wasn't it?

3. The fighter you launch (make it invisible) will fly into the target, fire a weapon of some sort which will kill itself, and then the escape ship (the 'part') will appear to come out of the target.

Guy, on Apr 15 2005, 09:03 AM, said:

3. The fighter you launch (make it invisible) will fly into the target, fire a weapon of some sort which will kill itself, and then the escape ship (the 'part') will appear to come out of the target.
View Post

And this is possible?

The weapon that kills the fighter will have to have incredibly short range. But that sounds like it will work..

Great Idea.

Yeah, it'll be like the kamikaze drone that some people have made. Except it won't do any real damage. Only problem will be getting the escape ship to behave how you want it to.

Guy, on Apr 15 2005, 12:12 PM, said:

Yeah, it'll be like the kamikaze drone that some people have made. Except it won't do any real damage. Only problem will be getting the escape ship to behave how you want it to.
View Post

Can´t an escape ship move as a normal ship?

Yes, but they always have no govt and automatically run, no matter what. If this is appropriate, then sure.

So what is the ultimate effect you are looking for? The real one, like what your trying to tell the player has happened?

That is fine..

I´m making a a plugin which will include the great god Om.

And i want one of his curses to turn true.. 😉

make the black dot submunition into your flapping thing, which will be a missile that is 100% likely to be jammed and has the 'may hit parent ship if jammed" tag set.

whoa... thats a cool idea. What is the chance of 'may hit'? Anyone know?

yeah, that's the only problem, you can't really adjust the may hit thingy beyond on or off..... Perhaps a study of the may-hit function is in order?

Ok.. i´m not certain what i need to do..

can anyone make a list or something.

Explain the effect a little better. Does the part that is stolen need to go to the players ship, or should it escape?

NebuchadnezzaR, on Apr 20 2005, 12:35 AM, said:

Explain the effect a little better. Does the part that is stolen need to go to the players ship, or should it escape?
View Post

it should escape. Run away.

modesty_blaise_us, on Apr 20 2005, 07:41 AM, said:

it should escape. Run away.
View Post

How exactly is that "stealing"?